- - - - -

Cuervo Anejo, screw top

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 reifer

reifer

• 1,141 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 11:57 AM

I also bought a bottle of the Jose Cuervo Anejo in Duty Free in Mexico City. It is definitely a bargain price. Just $34. I'd recommend that anyone coming to Mexico consider buying one on the way home.
This one had the screw top. Still looks nice though. Wood top that looks like the cork but, it screws off and has the plastic pour gizmo.
I didn't like it as much as the one at home but, it is still very good. Slightly more of a sharp taste but it mellows out and is very drinkable. I'll buy more if I can find it. At the price it's worth every penny.

#2 SILVER

SILVER

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 07:17 PM

I don't buy anything with a screw off or pop off top. Sorry!

#3 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 07:19 PM

Screw top?!? I can see the maitre d' opening that bottle in front of the custoemrs and proferring the cap to sniff...

#4 SILVER

SILVER

• Agave friends
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 07:26 PM

Oh yes, this whas an excellent week!

#5 reifer

reifer

• 1,141 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 08:25 PM

I don't  buy anything with a screw off  or pop off top. Sorry!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guess you're an old fashioned kind of guy. There is plenty out there that I buy with a screw top. There is actually a move toward them even in wine. Proper seal is guaranteed; never a bad cork problem. Many large bottles of Tequila sport them: Even Cuervo Familia. When I get home, I'll see what percentage of my collection has one. It'll be more then you think.

#6 SILVER

SILVER

• Agave friends
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:27 AM

Don Julio has screw on caps and I have bought some of those. 1942 is good, but when I finish that bottle I won't be replacing it. It just isn't quite to my taste.

#7 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 06:43 AM

Actually I've seen screw tops recently on some of my favourite wines.

The growth of wine sales has put serious pressure on cork trees and the existing plantations can't meet the demand. There have been alternatives, though, including the plastic or artificial cork. But these are more expensive and push the price of the wines up. If I had a choice between an artificial cork and higher price, or a screw top and a lower price, I'll accept the screw top.

We all know that the presentation isn't as valuable as the contents. The fancy bottles, exquisite stoppers, hand-painted boxes or artistic labels can't make a mediocre tequila into a premium one. Same with the stopper.

#8 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 08:56 AM

I agree with Ian Tequila is expensive enough as it is, i do like the look of the cork/stopper but it is what inside that counts, and screw tops don't break down and fall into your Tequila either(just happened to me with a bottle of casa noble tequila((they are sending me a new one))):)

My bottle of Don julio resp. has a wooden screw top, which i think is acceptable trade off it still looks nice but there is no actual cork. I still prefer cork but if they can make it look like a nice stopper i won't be too upset. I think we should recycle our corks, its not gonna last forever.

Wichie

#9 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:06 AM

I think we should recycle our corks, its not gonna last forever.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe we should recycle our Casa Noble bottles too - they're really attractive.

#10 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 02:18 PM

As a resident snob on this forum, I'll chime in on the cork issue. I preferred corks, as they made the whole tequila experience more enjoyable. But that only lasted until my Casa Noble corks fell apart, and one of my El Tesoro bottles developed mysterious growths.

I have to admit that I now like the plastic corks that provide perfect seals, like the one on AsomBroso. Looks good, performs well (I'm talking about the cork here, not that bottle). And how much more expensive can they really be?

As for screw caps, as long as they don't detract from the look of a nice bottle, no problem. (A good example of a nice looking screw top would by DJ 1942.) Then again, sometimes it feels good to pour Herradura 100 proof from a screw top, just like it can feel therapeutic to open a cheap can of Mexican beer. But I digress.

Maybe we should recycle our Casa Noble bottles too - they're really attractive.

Amen. Of course, reuse is better than recycling, and that's likely what you meant. I have many old CN bottles -- they work well as bookends or doorstops. The crystal (blanco) bottles are also good as water pitchers -- very comfortable.