• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#61 Sipper de Agave

Sipper de Agave

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:21 AM

It's funny, the Tres Generaciones Anejo was the tequila that lead me to realize that there was something more to tequila than bad Cuervo Gold experiences. I had to drink it after biting into a lime, but it was so much better than JC Gold that I thought it was something special. Now I find it awful and realize that lime is just a way to kill the taste of bad tequila!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are not alone with Tres Gen being an eye opener; it was for me aswell. I remember a few years ago,it was my friends birthday at a night club and he was like.. come on.. have a shot of tequila.. and I remember saying no thanks... At the time JC Gold was all that I was used to. I thought to myself, who the hell likes the taste of this stuff!!! It was pure awfulness. But he kept on telling me, its no JC, its Patron, its smooooth. To me it was something totally unheard of, and at 11 bucks a shot i thought my friend was insane! Of course, I could not reason out buying 11 buck shots, so I stuck with JC gold shots for the next couple years. Sheesh, what was I thinking. Then I heard a tid bit about tequlia on Fox News or something a couple years later and remembered that I had some sample 50ml bottles of Tres Gen Anejo and Plata that I had recieved at a wedding. I could not believe how great it tasted. Of course, today, I no longer think highly of Tres Gen. -_-

#62 CaliTequilaSipperGirl

CaliTequilaSipperGirl

Transcendent Agave Master

• 1,172 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:53 AM

I have 3 bottles of new Porfido Blanco. I heard from the manager at El Carmens in LA (300 tequilas) that Porfido got slapped again and we won't be seeing it anymore. Drop me an email and we can work something out. I got it cheap and only for the pretty bottle (well, after the first bottle). It has been a nice margarita tequila, if not merely for the conversation (Oh, yes, I my stock is Porfido <jk>)

For the record, I actually have some of the best (and/or most popular) tequilas  available in Massachusetts in my company's portfolio: El Tesoro, Chinaco, Herradura, Gran Centenario, Patron, Sauza, and Corazon, to name most of them. 

To address the availability issue in Canada:  due to the repeal of Prohibition, comtrol of the sale of alcohol is in the hands of the States.  Which is to say, what goes in one state is illegal in the next.  We have high hopes for a Supreme Court ruling on this soon.

And a related point: one other bulletin boards, great prices on allocated wines are often posted as a way to help eachother out.  I wonder if we could so something like that on this board. 

For instance, I'm looking for a bottle of Porfidio Blanco.

I know I'm really derailing this thread, but hey...I started it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#63 CaliTequilaSipperGirl

CaliTequilaSipperGirl

• 1,172 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:59 AM

I feel for you canadians.
I'm a software consultant (implement payroll and T & A systems for large companies and governments) BCLDB (British Columbis Liquor Distribution Board) is one of my clients. When onsite in Vancouver and visiting one of their warehouses ( I invited myself on the premise that I needed to see how they 'entered time' :) The selection is sparse to say the least. I had client contacts that were constantly asking me to bring them in a real bottle, any real bottle :(

My [off-topic] question is this: what exactly are the rules in Canada as relates personally importing liquor?  Are you allowed to have tequila shipped across the border to your house?  Can you legally bid on eBay tequila?  Can you go to the States or Mexico and bring back as much as you want, as long as you pay taxes?  Whatever happened to NAFTA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Canada's rules regarding liquor are byzantine, true, but not insurrmountable.

You can't ship liquor over the border or even across provincial boundaries without various approvals, paperwork in triplicate and your firstborn child as collateral...

You can't buy it legally on eBay (although many do) if it's out of province/country unless you are willing to pay the duties/taxes (difficult to enforce if its only being shipped internally within Canada).

You CAN get it shipped here legally if you know the process - sending it to yourself care of the LCBO rep at the Customs office... and paying requisite duties and taxes. Small quantities such as 1-2 bottles may not be stopped. If you label the bottle as a sample, not for resale, it's more likely to be allowed through.

You can bring back one 1.4 litre or 2 750 ml bottles of liquor or 12 beer, duty free. Anything above that you pay duty and taxes on. But you can bring back more - if you can afford it.

NAFTA is a manufacturing/commercial agreement, and really doesn't have anything to do with individuals except that it reduced or eliminated most duties but none of the taxes.

The best way to improve the situation is to encourage the LCBO through letters and email to bring in more 100% agave products.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#64 CaliTequilaSipperGirl

CaliTequilaSipperGirl

• 1,172 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:01 AM

My husband and I drank Centario in Cozumel last thanksgiving. We both downed about 5 shots in less than an hour and neither one of us felt it .... wonder if it's weaker there

Stay away from Centanario.  I have only had the plata, but i can tell you that it is not too far away from its distant cousin, Cuervo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#65 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:46 PM

Thanks Cali
I'm glad you feel my pain.
Its getting better in Ontario, but prices are brutal. I just got a Bottle of JCRF 2004. :fiesta:
I have been hounding my LCBO buyer with Ideas and it seems to be paying off, now if i could just get them to drop the prices.

Wichie

#66 Secret Face

Secret Face

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 460 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:02 PM

First time poster, long time lurker.

Anyway, it's pretty typical for me. Avoid Tres Gen, Patron, etc., but one that I've had that I really disliked for what I paid was definitely the Don Eduardo Anejo. It has a good flavor but way too much bite. For 50 bucks, there's so much more out there that's far better.

#67 errola

errola

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:36 AM

Seeing that there has been some recent discussion around Olmeca... I would say avoid it too! It smells awful and has a somewhat harsh alcohol afterburn. In South Africa it has a reputation as a hooligan juice and is popular with the university-college kid types because it is cheap and also a quick-n-ez legal buzz!

Those that try to enjoy a little higher up the food chain invariably drink Jose Cuervo Especial Reposado... unfortunately they don't know/realize that it's the mixto variety, at least in this country. I can only think that JCER does come from good stock after all and has some excellent cousins... but this ER is lacking substance somewhat, smooth but not strong on flavour.

#68 Dinosaur David B.

Dinosaur David B.

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 03:14 PM

I can concur that the XQ anejo was pretty unremarkable tequila for the price. Same with the La Coffradia iguana. Didn't care much for the Don Camilo repo or anejo. These seem like cases where you're paying for a fancy bottle.

My wife and I were rather disappointed with Aha Yeto anejo. Just not a bunch of flavors we cared for at all.

There are plenty of better choices than these for the money they cost.

#69 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 03:26 PM

I can concur that the XQ anejo was pretty unremarkable tequila for the price.

Even though it's probably a mediocre tequila, does anyone know a reasonable price for XQ reposado? I saw a bottle for ~$45 the other day and thought it might be worth buying once.

#70 Mossy

Mossy

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:37 PM

I can concur that the XQ anejo was pretty unremarkable tequila for the price.

Even though it's probably a mediocre tequila, does anyone know a reasonable price for XQ reposado? I saw a bottle for ~$45 the other day and thought it might be worth buying once.

I think I saw a bottle in a liquor store once for about the same price..

By the way, I know you frequent the Super Mercado Mexico -- they're blowing out the Aguila reposado for $14.99 a bottle. The stuff is good, very similar in style to Don Julio.. A steal at that price!

#71 miguelbgood

miguelbgood

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 03:00 AM

I would never buy El Jimador Reposado again, not even at Mexico prices. Very harsh and unenjoyable. Totally over-rated.

#72 SteveO

SteveO

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 12:42 AM

I would never buy El Jimador Reposado again, not even at Mexico prices. Very harsh and unenjoyable. Totally over-rated.

Agree, it doesn't even make a decent margarita in my opinion.

#73 lirubis

lirubis

• Agave friends
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:28 PM

It is an interesting topic for sure.
I have several that I wouldn't buy again.
One is Porfidio Meritage de Paloma. Just don't get the Apple Brandy and it is very expensive
I sort of agree on the Don Julio Real. It's better then that but, I like 1942 better. But, the package is fantastic!
There was another post on 1800 Milenio, wouldn't buy it again
XQ is over rated too
Obviously, there is Patron. Can't imagine me ever buying it again

Where did you get to try XQ??

Agree, it doesn't even make a decent margarita in my opinion.

Jimador went from king of the hill to laugh of town. Herradura tequilas have a tendency to turn bad after a short success. remember Cristeros?

#74 reifer

reifer

• 1,141 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:38 PM

Where did you get to try XQ??

It's pretty much available in Vallarta. I'm not sure where I bought it but, I see it all the time in Casas del Tequila in town. Not wonderful.

I find the discussion on El Jimador interesting too. I really only drink anejo but, some 3+ years ago, we did a taste testing of 8 or so moderately priced reposados to use in our house margaritas. El Jimardo won hands down, everyone agreed but, we decided to use Gran Centenario because it was cheaper and nearly as good. I haven't tried it otherwise.
I do consistently like the El Jimador anejo, particularly now that they have gotten the pricing realistic. It used to be over double Herradura, which is ridiculous. We lost the foil covered wooden box but, it didn't eat that good and was basically useless.

#75 lirubis

lirubis

• Agave friends
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:05 PM

So...new to the board, but not to tequila. However, even being in the business (I work for the largest alcohol distributor in Massachusetts), I still run into plenty of tequilas that I am not familiar with.

With that in mind, I was looking for the ones that people have tried and would never ever buy again. In essence, the ones that you're paying a lot of money for the funky bottle, nothing more... (Note: this doesn't mean, "I didn't like it." This means that qualitatively, it's a bad tequila.)

Thanks!

Most of all avoid tequilas that come in clear, unlabeled plastic containers AT ALL COST. Huge amounts of adultered, low quality tequila flow in this unregulated, criminal way, with the argument that it comes from "small, rustic destilleries", while in reality you may be looking at some undefinable brew that can leave you blind, stolen tequila, etc. Be VERY aware. Most visitors to Tequila and vicinities like to walk away with a few gallons of "cheap", "rustic" tequila and end up sick, ripped off and a few more calamities of the sort.

#76 Partida Chick

Partida Chick

Newcomer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:29 PM

Wow....this is interesting.

Here are some tequilas I really was disappointed in.

I see that most you don't like Milagro. Neither do I. I find their tequila to taste very vinegar-like and they have the most horrible mouth feel.

I was very underwhelmed by Barrancas, Tenoch (it's good, but not good enough...), Don Camilo (it's freaking wimpy), XQ was as flat as oil. La Cofradia is average, Corazon is a joke, it's the Coors Light of Tequila being pushed as Dom Perignon. Herencia De Plata makes an "eh" reposado, but a much better anejo. That said for the high marks it gets, I was disappointed.

Aha Yeto, has a taste that can only be described...as....strange? I am willing to believe we might have gotten a weird batch (it can happen), but our batch has almost a mezcal weird smokiness that should be there in just tequila. We don't like it. I really wanted to though. Another anejo that has us scratching our heads is Mannik.

My husband and I are two of the few people, that seem to be having weird experiences with El Tesoro. We ran out to get a bottle of the anejo, came home totally gassed to have some, and it tasted....well...as my husband likes to put it, "like it was made from wet lawnmower clippings..." It's grassy and mossy. Did we get a weird bottle? Maybe. But a few weeks ago, we were at Dos Caminos, our home away from home, having some El Tesoro Paradiso, which they gave us gratis, cause we're regulars. I credit Michael Davis, the manager with really enabling our study of tequila and helping us learn more. He's also a really nice generous guy. Well, I was thinking, this is one of those tequilas that people really really love, it's a treat and it's a well aged anejo, maybe it will be different than the grassy experience we had with just their plain anejo. But you know what? There it was again, that slight grassiness. It was better, but still not a fave.

What gives?

#77 lirubis

lirubis

• Agave friends
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:36 AM

My husband and I are two of the few people, that seem to be having weird experiences with El Tesoro. We ran out to get a bottle of the anejo, came home totally gassed to have some, and it tasted....well...as my husband likes to put it, "like it was made from wet lawnmower clippings..." It's grassy and mossy. Did we get a weird bottle? Maybe. What gives?

This is the undeniable sign of yet another tequila falling victim of the Mutant Monster. It is natural and even expected to have slight variations in some flavor elements as agave crops are subject to variations in all sorts of climatological elements (temperatures, water, etc), but once again I want to emphasize the word SLIGHT. But the Monster is not slight: For example, Long time Herradura loyals felt this Mutant Monster effect just a few years ago, when all of a sudden Reposado and Anejo consumers started to experience really bad hangovers, including thumping headaches and an ugly dry-slimy sensation in the mouth the day after, and this became widespread. It is widely accepted that Herradura "did something" and altered its tequilas for the bad. Even Jimador, who once claimed the title of Mexicos Best-selling reposado, became a Mixto. I am citing the Herradura example because everybody can relate to it, but this Mutant Monster atack has happened to MANY OTHER brands as well.

And I must say that, as of yet, I have not found a SINGLE tequila that has remained unchanged. Some experience noticeable transformations, sometimes for good, sometimes for bad, and some suffer very slight variations, but you can only detect them if you are a very loyal and frequent consumer. But yet, the REAL question still remains un-answered in a full, satisfactory way: WHY in some cases the variation is just minimal, while in some other cases the mutation is BRUTAL? Sometimes the brand changes producers, sometimes the tequila is manipulated the "wrong" way for whatever reason, sometimes somebody just plain messes things up at the lab, I guess...

What boils me is the fact that nobody seems to complain when this happens, and this is one of the reasons I have put more distance between me and tequilas in the last 2 years: I am getting tired of seeing hundreds of brands come and go, hitting the GOOD brands and making it a bad business for all. And we the consumers have to pay off the consequences!

Enjoy.

#78 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:18 PM

Isn't this problem being tackled now by the mass cloning of agave?

Wouldn't this solve the Mutant Monster problem, and create more consistent agave plants?

Ana G. Valenzuela-Zapata (she is the foremost expert on maguey of all types and frequently consults with tequila producers) and Gary Paul Nabhan, in their book, Tequila! A Natural and Cultural History, fears that over-cultivating fields of cloned agave without companion maguey that occur naturally in the region, could lead to the blue agave becoming susceptible to other diseases.

Perhaps this is already happening?

#79 scout

scout

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:04 PM

My husband and I are two of the few people, that seem to be having weird experiences with El Tesoro. We ran out to get a bottle of the anejo, came home totally gassed to have some, and it tasted....well...as my husband likes to put it, "like it was made from wet lawnmower clippings..." It's grassy and mossy.

We've only tried "Platinum". It is very good, but with an extra taste that I described as "rosemary" (that is, "green" like pine needles), and my wife described as "eucalyptus". I was thinking that it was a "flavoring" added intentionally, much like, in my opinion, the cinnamon in Chinaco Blanco and the butter or butterscotch in Don Julio Blanco. I haven't rejected ETP yet, but I'm pretty sure that "eucalyptus" would never be my favorite flavoring, if that's what it is.

Thank you for your post about this.

#80 miguelbgood

miguelbgood

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:38 AM

I wonder if Tequila distilleries might have very poor quality control, in general. There seems to be a lot of variations from one bottle to the next, sometimes.

I swear I had a bottle of Tres Generaciones anejo that was very good (it actually won a blind taste test we had of $25-45 tequilas), yet people here say it is crap. No, it's no reserva de la familia, but the one we had a few months ago was quite enjoyable.

I have not bought a 2nd bottle, but the bottle I had was quite good for $30. That and other stories I am hearing here, makes me wonder if the taste of tequila within the same company may taste differently depending on what month it was produced and how it was stored before it got to your home... Maybe the hot sun and humidity of Mexico plays a part in how the bottle ages before it makes its way to your liquor cabinet...?

#81 Mossy

Mossy

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:03 PM

It's grassy and mossy. Did we get a weird bottle?

What gives?

In my experience, El Tesoro is pretty consistent, in all styles. But, I do think I know the flavor element youre referring to. To me, its a unique herbal, almost spearmint flavor. Its never made me think of grass clippings, though!

#82 TPO

TPO

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:45 PM

I've had the pleasure of 68 different tequilas so far, and as far as I can tell, a Puro is pretty much like sex- The worst one I've ever had was still pretty damned good!. Granted some were better than others, some more to my liking for one reason or another; but I cannot honestly say that there is any that I have not found some beauty in.

I'd take a shot of any puro over a bottle of any mixto any day !!!

Edited by TPO, 17 November 2005 - 11:58 PM.

#83 vschmelzer

vschmelzer

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 330 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:53 PM

This is a copy of a taste test I did for myself. I sent it to JB Wagoner to let him know how dissapointed I was. I did not get a reply. Maybe it tasted so bad to me because I am not used to drinking a 100 proof tequila.

I was sure looking forward to tasting your tequila after discovering that you made a tequila in the US. I read the information on your website and thought that your tequila would be an exceptional buy. I gave no concern to to the cost because I have paid more a bottle of tequilla than what you suggeest. I purchased your tequila from one of liquor stores in Temecula tok it home and chilled it in the fridge for a day. I poured a glass a day or so later and anticipated the first taste as I do with any new tequila that I buy. I fist gave it a good wiff to smell the bouquet of the tequila and found it reminiscent of the first tequila that I ever tasted unfortunately that was a Mezcal not to put Mezcal down because I think some of them are excellent.I then sipped a small amount and swished it around to get the full flavor of the tequila and amazed at how dissapointed I was at the taste of something that reminded me more of moonshine I used to get back in PA. It was similar to pure grain alcohol rather than Tequilla. I took another taste and remembered the taste of the tequila of the 60's and said to myself that this was why I didn't like tequila. It was the taste of getting sick and really bad hangovers. I am sorry to say this but I think your tequila needs more work. Maybe less alcohol content and some aging. Tequilla should not taste like moonshine.

#84 vschmelzer

vschmelzer

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 330 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:12 PM

Uhhh, I'll answer for Mike tonight, he's busy shining his pennies.

The Milagro line would be on that list. Corzo too, slick bottle but it's headache material.

My wife and I drank one and half bottles of the Corzo Reposado on ice with lime and loved it. No ill effects the next day. I prefer reposados because it has a less aged flavor than an anejo and a less musty or grassy flavor than blanco.

#85 anejospirit

anejospirit

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:17 PM

Uhhh, I'll answer for Mike tonight, he's busy shining his pennies.

The Milagro line would be on that list. Corzo too, slick bottle but it's headache material.

My wife and I drank one and half bottles of the Corzo Reposado on ice with lime and loved it. No ill effects the next day. I prefer reposados because it has a less aged flavor than an anejo and a less musty or grassy flavor than blanco.

Ice and lime, that will ruin a tequila :cry:

#86 El Pescado Borracho

El Pescado Borracho

Tequilero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 04:10 PM

Tres G Blanco. Hands down worst tequila I've ever had. It started tasting more like a brandy and had some banana elements to it - definately no agave taste. Quickly went downhill and just tastes like astringent rubbing alcohol :( Wish I had seen this board before I bought it.

#87 BrianS

BrianS

Newcomer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:56 AM

I'm a super newbie and this is my first post here so I hope everyone will forgive me if I say anything really... newbie-ish. I notice that everyone seems to hate Patron. I just want to know if it's because it is a low quality and bad tasting tequila, or because it's over priced and overrated? I bought two small bottles, one each of the anejo, and the silver before I knew any better. I thought the silver was decent, but the anejo was pretty awful. And now I just received a bottle of the reposado in a Christmas gift exchange (a thoughtful gift considering the $50 price tag). I actually like the reposado. I've tried several other brands at a bar (El Tesoro, don Julio, Herradura, and Corazon, all silvers) and didn't really care for any of them. I seem to like this reposado the most so far. Maybe I just have bad taste in tequila, or maybe I will end up preferring reposados. Either way the situation requires more drinking. Anyway, I appreciate answers to my question and any other opinions. And try not to be too hard on a newbie for enjoying Patron.

#88 reifer

reifer

• 1,141 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:49 PM

I personally think that Patron is simply not very good. The price is pretty consistent with a lot of other tequilas so it's not the price.
I have not tried any of it since they "built" their own distillery and don't know what the new one is like but, it's has always been pretty bad, IMHO, and I don't expect it to improve. They sure know how to do the marketing game, though.

#89 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:14 PM

I once thought Patron was the best stuff as well, when i was a newbie too. I still have alot to learn, but i have tasted alot of Tequila since then and i now use my Patron for Margs. Listen to everyones opinions here, they know what they are talking about. And experiment.

#90 Mossy

Mossy

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 04:48 PM

I'm a super newbie and this is my first post here so I hope everyone will forgive me if I say anything really... newbie-ish. I notice that everyone seems to hate Patron. I just want to know if it's because it is a low quality and bad tasting tequila, or because it's over priced and overrated? I bought two small bottles, one each of the anejo, and the silver before I knew any better. I thought the silver was decent, but the anejo was pretty awful. And now I just received a bottle of the reposado in a Christmas gift exchange (a thoughtful gift considering the $50 price tag). I actually like the reposado. I've tried several other brands at a bar (El Tesoro, don Julio, Herradura, and Corazon, all silvers) and didn't really care for any of them. I seem to like this reposado the most so far. Maybe I just have bad taste in tequila, or maybe I will end up preferring reposados. Either way the situation requires more drinking. Anyway, I appreciate answers to my question and any other opinions. And try not to be too hard on a newbie for enjoying Patron.

No need to feel bad. I may get my card revoked, buf all the Patron styles, Id have to say the silver (by far) is the most enjoyable. Id go so far as to say its pretty tasty (though admittedly Im an aged tequila guy.)

However, the times Ive had it were generally not by choice -- usually because it was the only puro tequila available.

I suppose my main quibble is price -- for the cost, you can almost always do better. But if you didnt enjoy El Tesoro (one of my favorite silvers) then, maybe the style of Patron fits your tastes best. (Id say give ET another try)