• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#31 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:25 PM

My [off-topic] question is this: what exactly are the rules in Canada as relates personally importing liquor?  Are you allowed to have tequila shipped across the border to your house?  Can you legally bid on eBay tequila?  Can you go to the States or Mexico and bring back as much as you want, as long as you pay taxes?  Whatever happened to NAFTA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Canada's rules regarding liquor are byzantine, true, but not insurrmountable.

You can't ship liquor over the border or even across provincial boundaries without various approvals, paperwork in triplicate and your firstborn child as collateral...

You can't buy it legally on eBay (although many do) if it's out of province/country unless you are willing to pay the duties/taxes (difficult to enforce if its only being shipped internally within Canada).

You CAN get it shipped here legally if you know the process - sending it to yourself care of the LCBO rep at the Customs office... and paying requisite duties and taxes. Small quantities such as 1-2 bottles may not be stopped. If you label the bottle as a sample, not for resale, it's more likely to be allowed through.

You can bring back one 1.4 litre or 2 750 ml bottles of liquor or 12 beer, duty free. Anything above that you pay duty and taxes on. But you can bring back more - if you can afford it.

NAFTA is a manufacturing/commercial agreement, and really doesn't have anything to do with individuals except that it reduced or eliminated most duties but none of the taxes.

The best way to improve the situation is to encourage the LCBO through letters and email to bring in more 100% agave products.

#32 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:25 AM

I tried my Don E. again last night and it wasn't too bad (not as i remembered) it still burned a bit on the finish, but smelled and tasted good at the start. It may not get the most use but it won't be collecting as much dust as i thought.

Wichie

#33 agaveman

agaveman

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 05:57 PM

Stay away from Centanario. I have only had the plata, but i can tell you that it is not too far away from its distant cousin, Cuervo.

#34 reifer

reifer

• 1,141 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 06:38 PM

Stay away from Centanario.  I have only had the plata, but i can tell you that it is not too far away from its distant cousin, Cuervo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yikes! I am very surprised.
I have never tried the blanco but, I think that their anejo is very good. We drink a lot of it here (buy it by the case), bargain price and excellent.
We also use the Reposado in our margaritas. We like a little wood in ours and did a taste test with about 6 100% reposados that were reasonably priced and the Gran Centenario won hands down with all 5 or us that were testing. It was a bit more then some but, we felt it was worth it.
So, I would suggest you try it again. Obviously very possible that the blanco is sub par but, it would be worth another look.

#35 agaveman

agaveman

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:16 PM

Stay away from Centanario.  I have only had the plata, but i can tell you that it is not too far away from its distant cousin, Cuervo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yikes! I am very surprised.
I have never tried the blanco but, I think that their anejo is very good. We drink a lot of it here (buy it by the case), bargain price and excellent.
We also use the Reposado in our margaritas. We like a little wood in ours and did a taste test with about 6 100% reposados that were reasonably priced and the Gran Centenario won hands down with all 5 or us that were testing. It was a bit more then some but, we felt it was worth it.
So, I would suggest you try it again. Obviously very possible that the blanco is sub par but, it would be worth another look.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll try to do that. The problem is I can't find a bar in Milwaukee that has it. Thus, if I want to try it again, I have to pay $35 for a bottle.

#36 reifer

reifer

• 1,141 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:57 PM

I'll try to do that.  The problem is I can't find a bar in Milwaukee that has it.  Thus, if I want to try it again, I have to pay $35 for a bottle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Come to Vallarta and we'll set you up

#37 don Pablo

don Pablo

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 01:18 PM

Last time I was in NYC I picked up a bottle of Gran Centenario blanco for under $20 and a bottle of the anejo for under $30 at Warehouse. I think I've already praised the anejo on this forum. The blanco I found to be quite good. Probably slightly aged, as it definitely had a yellow tint to it. It may not be anything you NEED to seek out (Casa Noble and El Tesoro are better), but certainly nothing as bad as Cuervo. I think you got a bad shot.

#38 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:22 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with reifer...

Bought a bottle of Centenario reposado at the duty free when I left Costa Rica recently. ($19...such a deal! :P )

Just opened it last night and really enjoyed it. Light, with a slight hint of wood. Almost perfumey. Reminds me of Espolon reposado, but even more subtle.

I think a resampling is in order! :D

#39 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 06:58 PM

And speaking of Gran Centenario...

Read this....Musical turns to a tequila for `Charity'

Very clever marketing in my book! :lightbulb:

#40 Laughing Sam

Laughing Sam

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:17 PM

I'll have to say the Don Viejo Anejo was a disappointment. I think I might just pour it down the drain. I'm very surprised to see El Tesoro Reposado make the list. I'm new to fine tequila but I have really enjoyed this one. Not as good as the ET Anejo, but very drinkable.

#41 tequilasteed

tequilasteed

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:06 PM

i really like the milagro blanco, i feel its one of the better blancos i've had.
but, i'd say to stay away from 1800 reposado. although i like the 1800 plata

#42 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:32 PM

i really like the milagro blanco, i feel its one of the better blancos i've had.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although I am a silver drinker...

I've got to say--again--YUCK to both! :wacko:

...Unless you have pennies to clean! ;)

#43 lirubis

lirubis

• Agave friends
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:26 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree, YUCK to both!

#44 SILVER

SILVER

• Agave friends
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:25 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree, YUCK to both!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Boy, you guys are hard on this fellow. I'd let him find out for himself.
On a more positive side, let's suggest he try El Tesoro Platinum. Just a bit more $$$, but plenty more quality and taste!

#45 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 12:51 AM

Ok...I knew guilt would set in! :blush:

I was going to suggest that since he had visited Herradura, he might want to try the Blanco Suave or Hacienda del Cristeros.

Both far and above the ones he mentioned, and...

Somewhat within the same price ranges.

But...

I still stand behind my pennies comment! :clown:

#46 SILVER

SILVER

• Agave friends
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:29 AM

That Hacienda del Cristero sells for $54.99 at a store locally. I hear that it's good, but, at that price they're already too many expensive blanco that I like/buy.

#47 doctoragave

doctoragave

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:35 AM

Ok...I knew guilt would set in! :blush:

I was going to suggest that since he had visited Herradura, he might want to try the Blanco Suave or Hacienda del Cristeros.

Both far and above the ones he mentioned, and...

Somewhat within the same price ranges.

But...

I still stand behind my pennies comment! :clown:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I might sign on to the whole pennies thang, but with the Tres Generaciones anejo. Maybe I had a shot from an old or bad bottle, but I thought it was one of the worst tasting anejos I had yet tried. Maybe I'll try it again at some point...from someone else's bottle.

Speaking of the Herradura tequilas, I've not seen the Blanco Suave or Hacienda del Cristeros in any store where I've looked. In fact, even Hi-Time doesn't stock them. In tequila-poor Ohio, I may be out of luck trying to find them. :horror:

Also of Herradura, has anyone tried the Antiguo? Looks interesting, and perhaps the subject for a new thread. :lightbulb:

#48 tequilasteed

tequilasteed

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 12:17 PM

wow, almost like hatemail! its not like i'd choose 1800 or milagro over herradura silver. rather, these more like being the lowest step on the blanco staircase.
I've had the herradura antiguo while in mexico, and its now one of my favorite reposados. sadly, i didnt take any back with me. though i did bring a bottle of the 92 proof blanco (awsome!) and i got a bottle of the jimador anejo edicion limitada for a really good price $318 pesos (less than thirty bucks!)
i had to get the blanco 92 because the tequila strait from the still at hacienda san jose del refugio was amazing, with intense agave flavors. the blanco i brought back is very similar.

#49 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:20 PM

I might sign on to the whole pennies thang, but with the Tres Generaciones anejo. Maybe I had a shot from an old or bad bottle, but I thought it was one of the worst tasting anejos I had yet tried. Maybe I'll try it again at some point...from someone else's bottle.

I'll agree with you there! :t_up:

I once bought a bottle that had been mismarked by $20. When I opened the 3 G's to grab a glass, I could swear someone was making caramel apples! The artificial smell overpowered everything.

Not very impressive. :t_down:

#50 jag

jag

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:26 PM

Speaking of the Herradura tequilas, I've not seen the Blanco Suave or Hacienda del Cristeros in any store where I've looked.  In fact, even Hi-Time doesn't stock them.  In tequila-poor Ohio, I may be out of luck trying to find them. :horror:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hacienda del Cristero blanco

I know BevMo sells the Herradura Blanco 92 proof, I thought HiTime did too, but I can't find it there, nor at MissionLiquor.com, nor at TequilaCompany.com

#51 Laughing Sam

Laughing Sam

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:40 AM

I might sign on to the whole pennies thang, but with the Tres Generaciones anejo.  Maybe I had a shot from an old or bad bottle, but I thought it was one of the worst tasting anejos I had yet tried.  Maybe I'll try it again at some point...from someone else's bottle.

It's funny, the Tres Generaciones Anejo was the tequila that lead me to realize that there was something more to tequila than bad Cuervo Gold experiences. I had to drink it after biting into a lime, but it was so much better than JC Gold that I thought it was something special. Now I find it awful and realize that lime is just a way to kill the taste of bad tequila!

#52 Vange

Vange

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:44 AM

I was at a bar recently and wanted a tequila. I asked what their best tequila behind the bar is. (I love asking them this!)

They said we have Cabo Wabo and Tres G. She said the Tres G was new to their bar and it's excellent. I said, I'll try the Tres G then. Needless to say, it was awful. When the bartender asked me what I thought, I couldn't even comment truthfully. I just walked away.

#53 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:21 PM

I was at a bar recently and wanted a tequila.  I asked what their best tequila behind the bar is.  (I love asking them this!)

They said we have Cabo Wabo and Tres G.  She said the Tres G was new to their bar and it's excellent.  I said, I'll try the Tres G then.  Needless to say, it was awful.  When the bartender asked me what I thought, I couldn't even comment truthfully.  I just walked away.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...When she later reported to her bar manager that she had served the brand new 3 G's to a customer, her comment was...

"He was so moved, he couldn't speak!" ;)

(You go, Lone Ranger! B) )

#54 Jetexas

Jetexas

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:56 PM

New guy's 2 cents worth. I know it's all a matter of personal taste but a couple I would not buy again are -
Espolon reposado, Too much barrel, not enough agave.
Corozon reposado, No vanilla in my tequila please. I think the silver is pretty decent.
1800 reposado, Allegedly 100% but taste like a notch up from cuevro gold.

#55 lirubis

lirubis

• Agave friends
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:09 PM

New guy's 2 cents worth.  I know it's all a matter of personal taste but a couple I would not buy again are -
Corozon reposado, No vanilla in my tequila please.  I think the silver is pretty decent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have it right on on all of them specially Corazon which tastes more like vanilla extract than tequila :horror:

#56 Jetexas

Jetexas

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:13 PM

New guy's 2 cents worth.  I know it's all a matter of personal taste but a couple I would not buy again are -
Corozon reposado, No vanilla in my tequila please.  I think the silver is pretty decent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have it right on on all of them specially Corazon which tastes more like vanilla extract than tequila :horror:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More Vanilla Ice to avoid is BUEN AMIGO REPOSADO :t_down: . I made the mistake of buying a bottle and even my wife complained about the margarita I made for her. Another case of a fancy ass bottle with sub standard product in it! :fire:

#57 Mossy

Mossy

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:10 PM

[quote name='Jetexas' date='Jun 9 2005, 06:06 PM']
[quote name='lirubis' date='May 25 2005, 05:02 PM'][quote name='Jetexas' date='May 25 2005, 03:49 PM']New guy's 2 cents worth.  I know it's all a matter of personal taste but a couple I would not buy again are -
Corozon reposado, No vanilla in my tequila please.  [/quote]

Personally, when I buy an anejo, I expect it to have at least a hint of vanilla or caramel undertones. Nothing too overpowering (I agree that Corazon is a bit overdone) but isn't that what the barrel is supposed to provide (as well as a bit of mellowing)?

That said, one of my all-time favorites, El Tesoro, seems to have replaced the vanilla with a faint spearmint taste, which I find delightful.

#58 Jetexas

Jetexas

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:08 PM

[quote name='Mossy' date='Jun 17 2005, 03:03 PM']
[quote name='Jetexas' date='Jun 9 2005, 06:06 PM']
[quote name='lirubis' date='May 25 2005, 05:02 PM'][quote name='Jetexas' date='May 25 2005, 03:49 PM']New guy's 2 cents worth.  I know it's all a matter of personal taste but a couple I would not buy again are -
Corozon reposado, No vanilla in my tequila please.  [/quote]

Personally, when I buy an anejo, I expect it to have at least a hint of vanilla or caramel undertones. Nothing too overpowering (I agree that Corazon is a bit overdone) but isn't that what the barrel is supposed to provide (as well as a bit of mellowing)?

That said, one of my all-time favorites, El Tesoro, seems to have replaced the vanilla with a faint spearmint taste, which I find delightful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote]
:t_up: El Tesoro is an example of tequila at it's finest in all three forms and I fully agree that a little wood, caramel, vanilla, ect. add to a tequila's profile . That being said, the items I listed above are over the top (To my palate). I felt like I was chewing piece of bark with the Espolon and the Buen amigo is just plain crap, maybe the worst I have ever had. They should change the name to Pinche Villano! :angry2:

#59 jag

jag

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 03:38 AM

I don't get bark from Espolon, but then again I like my añejos a bit woody.

As for Buen Amigo, I've refrained from pouring the contents of my bottle down the drain so in the future I can remind myself, and show others, that, while most of Jose Cuervo and Sauza should be avoided, one can most definitely do a lot worse.

#60 BillyBobBongo

BillyBobBongo

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:47 AM

I don't get bark from Espolon, but then again I like my añejos a bit woody.

As for Buen Amigo, I've refrained from pouring the contents of my bottle down the drain so in the future I can remind myself, and show others, that, while most of Jose Cuervo and Sauza should be avoided, one can most definitely do a lot worse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see nothing wrong with Jose meself.....it does tend to leave what can only be described as a 'wrecking crew' knocking around in me noggin the day after though.

If you want bad tequila...well that's easy....I was bought a bottle of Sierra Tequila Silver by a mate of mine that had head I liked tequila, but didn't really understand what he was doing. I now use it to drive people out of my house. It's amazing that once the good stuffs gone they all seem to get tired and want to head home. Cheeky blighters!

The worst Mezcal I've drunk was Gusano Rojo! Man...I'd rather like p!ss of a nettle than go near that bottle again!

;)