• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Vange

Vange

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:12 AM

I have 2 bottles coming. Due to this forums recommendations and high accolades for Don Fulano imperial, I ordered one of those.

I also ordered the 30th anniversary Chinaco Emperador. I know it's pricey, but I figured it's a bottle I don't think many have tasted on this forurm and I am curious to see what a 7year old anejo tastes like.

I'll report back on both once I get them.

#2 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:15 AM

You just became my personal hero. Well, one of several on this site, anyway. Please do let us know -- I am particularly interested in the Emperador. We can all have our dreams.

By the way, I see on this site that you have had occasion to stop in at Dos Caminos -- I really like that place. I also like Sueños, Salon, and Rosa Mexicano (the one on the west side). I haven't eaten at Salon, it's a bit too fancy for me, but they served me the only margarita I've ever truly enjoyed -- it came with half a lime (floating on top) that was hollowed out and filled with tequila. What a great touch -- especially for those of us that care more about tequila than margaritas. Do you have any other favorites in NYC that I (as a tourist over there) might not know about?

And don't forget to give Warehouse a shot. For years, Chinaco añejo was a mere $28 a bottle, although it was more last time I was there. But they always have great prices on a few products, and a decent stock of upper end stuff.

#3 Vange

Vange

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:27 AM

Dos Caminos had the best guacomole I have had in the US. The tequila selection was fantastic, though some of the pricing was WAY off. Romance being 35 a shot, while bottles over $200 were $30 a shot. Weird, but I really enjoyed it. Food was above average, though could've been better,. My girlfriend's margarita was excellent.

I plan on going to the Citrus Bar and Grill soon, more for my girlfriend than myself, but the food does look interesting and their tequila list is decent and not too over priced for NYC.
http://www.josiesnyc...citrus/map.html

Under the Volcano is supposed to be a decent tequila bar, though I have never been.
http://www.frommers....ity/N24448.html

Warehouse Wines and Spirits is on my list for my next NYC excursion which should be VERY VERY soon.

#4 gtamaru

gtamaru

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 02:01 PM

I have 2 bottles coming.  Due to this forums recommendations and high accolades for Don Fulano imperial, I ordered one of those.

I also ordered the 30th anniversary Chinaco Emperador.  I know it's pricey, but I figured it's a bottle I don't think many have tasted on this forurm and I am curious to see what a 7year old anejo tastes like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where are you ordering these fine tequilas from? I had bought my bottle of Don Fulano Imperial from Hi-Time Liquors. I'm not sure who has the Emperador, and at what price.

Thanks.

Glenn

#5 Vange

Vange

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 02:53 PM

Emperador is at hitime for 300.

#6 jag

jag

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 391 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 07:05 PM

Hi-Time is the only place I know of you can get the Emperador (I got to check that one off my list a few weeks ago), other than eBay, if you don't mind paying a $100 eBay mark-up! :fire:

(Nope, haven't tried it yet, waiting for a few other bottles to come in so I can do a comparative tasting event with some friends)

#7 Cuzmarc

Cuzmarc

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:02 PM

I have 2 bottles coming.  Due to this forums recommendations and high accolades for Don Fulano imperial, I ordered one of those.

I also ordered the 30th anniversary Chinaco Emperador.  I know it's pricey, but I figured it's a bottle I don't think many have tasted on this forurm and I am curious to see what a 7year old anejo tastes like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D
I received my bottle of Don Fulano Imperial yesterday. I splurged and bought the bottle of Herradura SS from my local guy also so I had my brother over and we sampled those two along with the Purasangre grand reserva I brought back from mexico. It was quite a treat having those three bottles open at the same time. I broke out my Crystal goblets and proceeded to have fun.
Herradua needs no comments other then what everyone says is true extremely smooth and the legs it has compares to many fine wines. You can't go wrong with this tequila plain and simple.
Don Fulano Imperial is at the top of my list in the second spot for my favorites now. Simply loved it. It had legs that compared to the Herradura. I put it above Paridiso and JC FR and believe it is well worth the price IMHO. The bottle is very nice as well and is in the front of my space.
Purasangre was good but noticably more spicy and had more of a bite compared to the other two. The first sip was more of an eye opener but had excellent taste. It's not in the class of the Don Fulano or Herradura SS but it is tasty. I liked it and would say it is in my top 10 so far.
I am staring at the Don Fulano bottle as I type this craving another shot lol...

Marc

#8 Guest_Dorian_Guest

Guest_Dorian_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2005 - 01:14 AM

Hey there guys Does any one you know where I can find a tequila called Liquor de Membrillo I live in San Antonio Texas and the only way I can buy it is driving 3 hours to the duty free store in laredo it suck can any one help thanks

Dorian

#9 gtamaru

gtamaru

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 06:07 PM

Evangelos,

It seems that you have one of the most extensive collections of the ultra premium tequilas. How would you rank the Herradura Suprema, DJ Real, and Emperador? I have the Suprema, and am considering either the Real or Emperador at Hi-Time.

Thanks.

Glenn

#10 Vange

Vange

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 12:39 PM

Glen,

I love the Herradura SS. I rated it a 9.5 out of 10. I own the Real and have Emperador on the way, but have not tasted either one. From what I read, Real is great, but not as good as some other ultra premiums. I'll let you know soon though.

#11 Vange

Vange

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 12:40 PM

Also, ask reifer as well. He has a collection of over 100 tequilas. Check out his profile and his link under his profile. His bar is awesome. His collection is top notch and he has tried or owns most of the ultra premiums anejos.