- - - - -

Does Tequila go bad?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jonathan_Guest

Guest_Jonathan_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2003 - 01:43 PM

Just curious. I have built up quite a collection and I was curious if I have a time limit on my bottles of Tequila. Does anyone know for sure?

#2 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 04:42 PM

Bad? Not usually if the bottle is sealed. If the bottle isn't sealed, the alcohol can evaporate and eventually mold and bacteria will infect it. However your worst problem is oxidization. Even in a sealed bottle, once opened, tequila oxides quickly. It can lose significant aroma and flavour in 3-6 months.

Not that I advise you to drink quickly, but once it's opened, you're losing its best qualities if you keep it very long.

#3 Guest_Guest_kitty_Guest

Guest_Guest_kitty_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2003 - 06:43 PM

My research has told me that once a tequila is in the bottle, you can't age it like wine. It will have the same taste now and in ten years. I can't imagine it being around that long, but you might misplace it.
On the other hand, bad tequilas start out that way and also remain. One's desperation for a shot can adjust the taste of a bad tequila, but we don't want to go there, do we?

#4 Guest_Guest_kitty_Guest

Guest_Guest_kitty_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2003 - 06:44 PM

My research has told me that once a tequila is in the bottle, you can't age it like wine. It will have the same taste now and in ten years. I can't imagine it being around that long, but you might misplace it.
On the other hand, bad tequilas start out that way and also remain. One's desperation for a shot can adjust the taste of a bad tequila, but we don't want to go there, do we?

#5 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 06:57 AM

Actually tequila will not taste the same unless it has never been opened. Even then, it may oxidize becayse seals will permit a small amount of air to pass.

The agave taste/aroma in tequila is quite fragile and will lose its strength quickly once exposed to air. In three months, an opened bottle will generally lose 50% or more. After six months it becomes difficult to tell tequilas apart, even to distinguish between types.

So it doesn't "go bad" but it does lose its best qualities. The effects of age are not as noticeable if used in cooking and margaritas or other mixed drinks, but are certainly noticeable when sipping it.

#6 Jonathan

Jonathan

Newcomer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Since most of my collection is used for Margarita's I would probably not notice the difference. However, I just purchased a wonderful Anejo by Casa Noble.......designed for sipping. I guess I should get cracking on that one eh? Damn.....

#7 Guest_Guest_kitty_Guest

Guest_Guest_kitty_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2003 - 10:27 PM

Ian,
I'm so curious as to how you know about the deminishing effect on taste and aroma of an open bottle of tequila.
Why is tequila so fragile? Does scotch or armagnac react the same way?
How could one go to a tequila tasting and truly learn something if some of the tequilas have been opened 3 months or more?
Who can we trust? I'm so confused.
kitty