15 replies to this topic

#1 Noah

Noah

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

I was just in Puerto Vallarta where I picked up a bottle of 7 Leguas D'Antano.  I had somebody pick it up for me from Vinos America and bring it to the hotel, when it arrived I was stunned to see the bottle shape was completely different that what I expected. It looks kind of like a wine decanter, with a long neck and wide base, and comes in a cardboard box (see attached pic).  I was expecting the stout, barrel shaped bottle with the green paper label in a wooden box. 

It was much cheaper than I expected D'Antano to be too. 

Anybody know anything about this?  Is the juice the same?  Are the switching up the formula?

I did see an old school bottle, green label, wooden box in the airport.  I grabbed that one too, just to be safe.  It was much more expensive though!

Attached File  dantano.JPG   42.82KB   0 downloads

#2 bbowler

bbowler

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

The bottle is different and the old ones are usually more money. With that being said unless the older bottles have just the word Anejo on it and not extra anejo then they are just price jumping for no reason. The juice to me is still good but it was a lot better when you could get it for 100-120$ and now even in Mexico its 170-185. Not quite good enough at almost 200$ to keep buying. Lots of other great stuff for half the money. I don't think there is a formula difference but just a taste difference that tends to happen over time of production, i.e. Forteleza.

#3 hagi

hagi

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:56 AM

last time I was in mexico I got some of the older bottles (wood boxes) but "Extra Anejo" regular price for  $115ish. again this was in Mexico City. im sure there are still some around 

#4 bbowler

bbowler

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:53 PM

That's a great deal, pm me if you have any you want to sell for that kind of price.

#5 Tequila4me

Tequila4me

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:18 PM

To be honest, I was a little disappointed with the new packaging, I mean, who doesn't like the older nice quality boxes of the older D'Antanos!? I was lucky to have kept a couple older Añejo and Extra Añejo labels!!! Hey! At least we are getting extra juice (50mls) in the new bottles!
Do any of you know when these SBs of D'Antano are hitting the shelves ? Or was it just a rumor ?

#6 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:18 PM

All old D'Antano presentations were yanked from the shelves down here - kicking myself as they were priced for $899 pesos at the time. Didn't see the bottle change coming 

#7 Ralph16

Ralph16

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:06 PM

I went on the last BAT in April and when we were at 7 Leguas they had the new bottle. But they assured everyone it was just a packaging change and that the juice is the same good old 7 Leguas XA.

#8 carssausage

carssausage

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

It may be time for a 7 Leguas side by side old vs new.

• bpacifica likes this

#9 SeattleJuan

SeattleJuan

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:41 PM

It sure isn't the same with the Don Fulano Imperial, another XA that went through a package change recently. 

#10 hagi

hagi

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:05 AM

I have been looking to see if the new bottle D'Antano is available in US market and no luck? does anyone know if it is?

#11 bbowler

bbowler

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

its a shame that either by production cost increase or by more Mexican tax that the cost for the new D'Antano is a lot more than the older wood box model.

#12 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:41 PM

But, you are getting an extra 5ml. with the new bottling.  Of course pricing must change :bonk: :}

#13 Tequila4me

Tequila4me

• Agave friends
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

Looking forward to tasting the new vs old...

#14 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:21 PM

Heard someone mention a single barrel 7L XA - maybe just a rumour - but depending on who picked it - single barrel pickings can be a crapshoot. It's hard not to believe that something along the production line will suffer *sigh* due to entering the huge US market. Let's be frank this stuff was only available in MX and somewhat scarcely available in the EU... now the US. Let the floodgates open

Also appears that Carlos Camarena's Villa Lobos repo,anejo and XA are entering the US market.

• SeattleJuan likes this

#15 SeattleJuan

SeattleJuan

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

Hagi,  D'Antano has never been available in the US, old or new. That may be changing though going forward.

#16 Frodo

Frodo

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:45 AM

I was just in Puerto Vallarta where I picked up a bottle of 7 Leguas D'Antano.  I had somebody pick it up for me from Vinos America and bring it to the hotel, when it arrived I was stunned to see the bottle shape was completely different that what I expected. It looks kind of like a wine decanter, with a long neck and wide base, and comes in a cardboard box (see attached pic).  I was expecting the stout, barrel shaped bottle with the green paper label in a wooden box. 

It was much cheaper than I expected D'Antano to be too.

Hey Noah:

Can you tell us how much you paid for it. Someone I know is heading down to PV in a week or so...