• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

Anything I should know about this - are there good/better years?

A friend recently brought me a bottle from his trip to Mexico. First new bottle of any tequila I've had in about two years.

I'm really looking forward to sampling this in the upcoming long Easter weekend. Maybe my taste buds will rise from the dead!

#2 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

1942_01.jpg

1942_02.jpg

#3 Tonga

Tonga

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

I've never really been a fan of the DJ 42 and I was disappointed in my last bottle several years ago...but that doesn't mean anything, Ballard gladly took up the slack and helped out admirably in finishing it off. It reminds me of JCRF (2008 and beyond) and JC 1795 (or 'Dongle' bottle), a bit too sweet for me paired with a heavy oak finish as I remember, and expensive which is the deal breaker for me. It's certainly a decent sipper and I'd never turn my nose up at it in a restaurant, but at that price point there are several other options for me here in the Greater Bay Area in California. 

Buena Suerte amigo

#4 Don Nom

Don Nom

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

There are worse things you could drink. I won't buy a bottle (unless I found a coffin box sitting on a shelf somewhere), but I'll gladly drink it if offered.

#5 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

Well, since it was a gift, and a generous one at that, I won't say no. I intend to sample it tonight and I'll let you know what I think.... my last JCRF was back in 2008 or so, and it was nice. But personally, the 7-year-old Casa Noble we tried on the BAT simply can't be beat...

#6 JohnnyBoots

JohnnyBoots

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

In regards to the coffin box, I've seen a couple on shelves over the years and always left them knowing it was treasure but they're all $130+ which is beyond my "grab it and make it work" price range. What's the dillio with these, worth it?

#7 JohnnyBoots

JohnnyBoots

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

Sorry for the threadjack!

#8 Don Nom

Don Nom

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

According to Grover, a blind tasting of the "old" and "new" versions of 1942 show people decidedly favor the new stuff. I would mainly want the coffin box for display purposes.

#9 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:16 AM

I have hesitated to open it until i can share it with friends, but an expected weekend visit was cancelled, so it sits waiting for an appreciative audience larger than just me. I may calla  few local friends to come over and sample it.

Meanwhile - the box is tall and a bit awkward, so i have to lay it down.

How does it compare with, say, recent editions of JCRF?

#10 hagi

hagi

Newcomer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

I last visited the highlands area and coming from a good local source they say, since the distillery was sold to a non family member (Don Julio) there have been some changes over all. from packaging to the way its made. Note: this bottle does not have the "don Julio" image on the bottle anymore. 

#11 Tequila4me

Tequila4me

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:33 PM

Hagi, so do you know when exactly the distillery it was sold? Did this good local source mentioned it to you ? TIA
Salud

#12 hagi

hagi

Newcomer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

the exact date was not mentioned, but I believe it to be sometime before the past brown box came out with the big 1942 in front of the box

#13 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

I last visited the highlands area and coming from a good local source they say, since the distillery was sold to a non family member (Don Julio) there have been some changes over all. from packaging to the way its made. Note: this bottle does not have the "don Julio" image on the bottle anymore.

Seagram/Diageo bought 100% of Don Julio around December 2000 then 2 years later sold 50% to the Beckmann family. Don Julio figurehead, Julio Gonzalez Estrada sadly passed away in March of 2012. Master Distiller Enrique de Colsa has been there for years no? Isn't it still Diageo 50% & Beckmann family 50%?

Remaining family members of Don Julio left that company's board of executives years ago to start Reserva de Los Gonzalez NOM1518....

Guessing Don Julio is a somewhat privately held company and doesn't really need to publicly disclose things a la Patron... so yeah.

Keep seeing old Don Julio Blancos & Repos 6+ years old - the design before new presentation - undecided if its worth it. Saw some Cabo Wabo AƱejo NOM1467 $550MX pesos lol

#14 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

Does the sale mean a decline in quality?

#15 bbowler

bbowler

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

Hard to say, I would bet that most would try to suck even more out of the name before putting in more money and effort.

#16 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 574 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

I'll be the first to admit the regular line has been on a decline for the last 5+ years IMHO funny thing is I prefer the 3 Magueyes line. Ownership has remained the same for the last 12 years. If anyone knows anything different by all means share a link.

Grover & Scarlet did a cool old v new DJ1942 here with surprising results
http://tastetequila....hich-is-better/