• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 bbowler

bbowler

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

I am definitely looking forward to trying some of this. I hope that it is worth the 220$ tag. Everything goes up in cost and I believe that "cheap isn't good and good isn't cheap" but here is to hoping its worth it and that we can still find great juice for 100$ still.

#32 Tonga

Tonga

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

I finally sat down with this XA for a serious taste, thanks to Ballard for leaving me some to sample thoroughly. I was pleasantly surprised with the aromatic, very 'mineral like' with very little alcohol on the nose. Bold for sure, reminds me of a Chinaco type product with little hints of vanilla, oak is moderate...not too heavy. A 'musty' lowland tequila is what it tasted like at first blush. Very enjoyable, I don't know that I'd cough up two yards for a bottle, but I surely wouldn't turn a glass down. Good stuff for sure, maybe put one in the collection.

#33 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:27 AM

so apparently German mentioned this to a bar mgr I know in YVR while he was visiting for the Tequila Expo. It is definitely a blend. all of it was aged in used used Scotch barrels for 3+years, then 1/2 was aged 2.5+ years in used sherry barrels and 1/2 was aged 2.5+ years in used brandy barrels - then it is 'married' again. No mention about barrel sizes. Still need to try it.

• Tequila4me likes this

#34 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

It is definitely a blend. 1/2 was aged in used used Scotch barrels, 1/4 was aged in used sherry barrels and 1/4 was aged in used brandy barrels.

So much for proprietory information :)

#35 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

So much for proprietory information :)

I have a photo of an aging diagram GG made lmao. Proprietary is safe in this instance as no particular brands were mentioned :)

#36 naranja

naranja

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

Several months back, before the XA came out, I saw a bartender at a table with a pal sampling a bottle of regular T1 Anejo. When I quizzed him later, he said it had been aged in used Macallan Scotch barrels. He knew that cause he had met the guy from San Antonio who makes it and that's what he said.

#37 bbowler

bbowler

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

So after all of the tasting of the Tears, is it truly a worthwhile price point or less than that? Taste is a vary individual thing but nice to know the general consensus.

#38 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

I'd say it's a tad steep to drink with any kind of regularity...but certainly worth it to try a bottle, break it out on a special day, that kind of thing.

#39 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

how about the Casa Noble 5 Year Santana Reserva for $499-599 USD? anyone try this as well?

#40 bbowler

bbowler

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

I cant see any 5 yr being worth 500$. Unless its a rare never around again thing and even then it really comes down to who has so much disposable income they can spend that and not care.  I believe that the extra anejo market is huge because that is what most people like and also because there is a high profit margin on the so called "exclusive" reservas and the like.

#41 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

I cant see any 5 yr being worth 500$. Unless its a rare never around again thing and even then it really comes down to who has so much disposable income they can spend that and not care.  I believe that the extra anejo market is huge because that is what most people like and also because there is a high profit margin on the so called "exclusive" reservas and the like.

starting to think the Tequila Extra Anejo market is going in the same direction as the crazy batshit bourbon market IMHO. 

• SeattleJuan likes this

#42 naranja

naranja

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

starting to think the Tequila Extra Anejo market is going in the same direction as the crazy batshit bourbon market IMHO. 

Nah, not yet anyway :) check out the pages of ads on craigslist including one that goes "... Pappy Van Winkle 15 year I would like to trade. I'll consider firearms trades, a golf cart, old Suburban, or whatever..."   http://goo.gl/F8toIq

#43 Tequila4me

Tequila4me

• Agave friends
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

Unfortunately, Tequila Extra Añejo is already showing lots of signs that it's heading in the exact same direction as most American Whiskey Bourbon......time to hoard all you can. 😩

#44 bbowler

bbowler

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

Not being a scotch or whiskey byer you mean the same way by it getting to where the only offerings are over priced "special reserves"?

#45 JohnnyBoots

JohnnyBoots

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

Finally got my bottle, at $240 I could only justify one. I also nabbed a T1 Selecto at the same time. I ended up in Charleston on business and Clareys Liquors have 5 bottles on the shelf with a bunch in storage. I still haven't cracked it yet. I was waiting to open it as we just bought a house but with packing/moving we've just been too tired and I keep forgetting about it. Tonight, I swear!

I kind of regret leaving some of that Willett Rye on the shelf too...next trip? 

#46 luther r

luther r

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

I won't pay bourbon-type prices for XAs untill they start bottling them at cask strength...

#47 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:56 AM

So another lote is coming out

#48 bbowler

bbowler

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

Oh yeah, I would love to try a shot to see first. Ive got a shit load of XA's and to buy another 200$ lets see if its good bottle is hard to swallow....so to speak  hehe.  Kind of like the new 1800 milenio bottle. Looks nice and has an interesting aging process but it went from 125 to 199 a bottle now.

#49 carssausage

carssausage

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:04 PM

In case anyone here is interested, this item is available on Tequila Trader Group page.

https://www.facebook...20021218087894/

Attached Files