• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 TequilaPicker

TequilaPicker

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

Anyone seen, bought or tasted the new 5 year XA from German Gonzalez, Tears of Llorona? The bottle and juice 'look' nice so I'm hoping it tastes as good as I imagine...possibly Chinaco Emperador good??? Any idea how many bottles were produced for the US market?

Tears Of Llorona

Edited by TequilaPicker, 19 April 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#2 Tonga

Tonga

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

Anyone seen, bought or tasted the new 5 year XA from German Gonzalez, Tears of Llorona? The bottle and juice 'look' nice so I'm hoping it tastes as good as I imagine...possibly Chinaco Emperador good??? Any idea how many bottles were produced for the US market?

No help on this one picker...nobody I know has any substantive information on it.

As far as 'Emperador good'...that isn't hard. I've had many tequilas eclipse it when tasted side x side against Emperador. See my thread entitled SF Emperador Club. We had a pre 2000 HSS one year that was outstanding against the Emperador and a Tapatio anejo 93 that was made specially for somebody's wedding that held it's own against the Chinaco.

#3 TequilaPicker

TequilaPicker

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

Thanks Tonga, I agree. Taste is in the eye of the beholder...so to speak. I have a pair of 1999 HSS that I haven't cracked open yet, but that's very good news! I took a shot in the dark and ordered a case of German's new juice so I was hoping someone had a bit of insight as to it's quality. I guess I'll know soon enough!

Edited by TequilaPicker, 14 April 2014 - 06:02 PM.

#4 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

Thanks Tonga, I agree. Taste is in the eye of the beholder...so to speak. I have a pair of 1999 HHS that I haven't cracked open yet, but that's very good news! I took a shot in the dark and ordered a case of German's new juice so I was hoping someone had a bit of insight as to it's quality. I guess I'll know soon enough!

Be sure to post...I'm always up for a hunt!

DW

#5 Don Nom

Don Nom

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

San Francisco is supposedly on "the list", but does anyone know who'll be carrying it? K&L, perhaps.

#6 TequilaPicker

TequilaPicker

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

You can count on it Tonga. I'm expecting to get my hands on them next weekend so I'll let you know what I think about it. In the meantime, I may have to open one of my 1999 HSS for comparison purposes...

Edited by TequilaPicker, 11 April 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#7 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

I took a shot in the dark and ordered a case of German's new juice so I was hoping someone had a bit of insight as to it's quality. I guess I'll know soon enough!

A case of the Llorna?

#8 TequilaPicker

TequilaPicker

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

Yep, I pulled the trigger on six bottles of Llorona. I was told the shipment made it through customs in Laredo on Thursday so I'm expecting them to arrive early next week. Can't wait to crack one open...

#9 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:06 AM

Nice - What's the pricepoint on those bad boys?  Probably a bit less than most outlets will be charging.  Can't wait for a review.

#10 JohnnyBoots

JohnnyBoots

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

I've been trying to find some of the allocation that's going to Charleston, SC but no luck. Is there a list anywhere of the retailers? Been dying to try this juice and being that I live in North Carolina, it'd be a quick weekend drive to pick it up.

#11 TequilaPicker

TequilaPicker

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

I paid $180 each for the 1 liter bottles so I'm hoping it's worthy juice. I'm expecting to receive them later this week so I'll post a review when I get my hands on them. I made lots of calls to retailers in the San Antonio/ Austin area but received many different prices. I was told the retail was $229, similar to the Chinaco Negro. The highest price I found was $279 at JS Fine Wines in SA, so I guess inflation has already set in. My advice is to "hunt wisely my friends". 

#12 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

Thx TP.  I'd say that is a fair price.  Hoping it will be closer to $200 whence it hits SF area.  I have my feelers out.  Keep me in your thoughts if you decide to part with any of your's

#13 TequilaPicker

TequilaPicker

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

Got my hands on some Tears of Llorona XA from German Gonzalez. The color appears very deep and inviting. It's packaged in what looks like an old milk style bottle, complete with an attached stopper and rubber ring seal. Interesting choice... Anyway, I'll be cracking one open this evening and posting more about it then.

Tears of Llorona

Edited by TequilaPicker, 17 April 2014 - 04:12 PM.

• Don Nom likes this

#14 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

What is the distillery (NOM) where this is being produced?

#15 TequilaPicker

TequilaPicker

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

Same as his T1, NOM 1146 La Tequilena. I didn't have time last night to really give it a good tasting but I had a small pour before heading out to meet friends for dinner. My initial impression was this is a double barrel aged tequila which may have included some time in Sherry Wood. It's sweet on entry with a somewhat thin mouth feel and a moderate length finish. I was really hoping for another super long finish from German but it just wasn't there. You can immediately sense the 86 proof coming through but after a few minutes in the Riedel it softened up quite a bit. Overall, a fine XA tequila (IMHO) and unlike any of his previous Chinaco offerings. It's a very unique tequila for sure. Another classic from the Master Tequilero???

Salud!   

#16 Stacey123

Stacey123

Newcomer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

There was a production run of 660 bottles, around 150 of them went to the Texas distributor.  I know they are at least in stores in the San Antonio area right now.

IIRC, there was aging in whiskey barrels followed by a secondary aging in sherry barrels.  I can get more info if you have any specific questions.  I'm not an educated tequila drinker, so I'll leave the analysis to you pros, but it was definitely delicious.

Title is misspelled, it is Llorona, thus the tears. ;)

Edited by Stacey123, 19 April 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#17 TequilaPicker

TequilaPicker

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

Thanks Stacey123! Great information, and great tequila too!

Edited by TequilaPicker, 19 April 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#18 tequilabob23

tequilabob23

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

Have not been on here in a spell so I missed this thread when it was started... some additional info on the brand straight from German...

54 months total aging.  After 36 months German broke open 2 barrels (Scotch) and blended them with juice from 2 other 3-yr old barrels (type not disclosed - proprietary) and resealed them for an additional 18 months.  600 total bottles made (all 1 liter).  San Antonio/Austin got a 150 bottle allocation, of which well over half are already spoken for/pre-ordered.  I can direct people to 2 retailers in Austin that will likely be carrying it, but neither ship.  Price point is suggested at $225.  NOM 1146 as previously noted.

Hope that helps!

#19 JohnnyBoots

JohnnyBoots

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

Can anyone help guide me on getting some of the allocation that went to South Carolina? My next step was to aimlessly call every store in that market :)

#20 Don Nom

Don Nom

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

Now available at Hi Time Wine.

#21 TequilaPicker

TequilaPicker

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

That's great news for anyone wanting to taste this unique juice from German. I wonder how many cases were allocated to them? I believe Hi Time Wine ships to most states so that's good news too! Enjoy

#22 JohnnyBoots

JohnnyBoots

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

Called both Clareys and Bottles in Mt Pleasant, SC (right next to Charleston) both are getting bottles today but neither ship. Looks like a road trip is in order. It's been a little bit since I've been to Charleston should be a fun trip!

#23 Tequila4me

Tequila4me

• Agave friends
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

Hitimes only got a case and sold out as soon as they got it, from what I hear, they are getting 1 more case today😂 and it's alredy sold to online orders........

#24 Don Nom

Don Nom

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

My online order went through yesterday morning, but still no shipping confirmation. And the product no longer appears on Hi Time's site, so it's definitely gone!

#25 TequilaPicker

TequilaPicker

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

All gone...enjoy my friends!!

Tears of Llorona Heard

#26 Agave Idiots

Agave Idiots

Newcomer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:52 AM

Received my Tears of LLorona. The packaging is really cool, definitely unique for tequila. Picked them up out of a liquor store in TX. $206/bottle by the case of 6 or $229 single. Haven't tried it yet.

#27 Agave Idiots

Agave Idiots

Newcomer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:53 AM

Received my Tears of LLorona. The packaging is really cool, definitely unique for tequila. Picked them up out of a liquor store in TX. $206/bottle by the case of 6 or $229 single. Haven't tried it yet.

#28 ballard

ballard

Knight of the Blue Agave

• Agave friends
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

Got a bottle last week and opened it up yesterday at Tonga's place . . . but Tonga was not there. :(

Everyone else enjoyed it and agreed it's worth the price tag. 

Tonga, I saved about a 1/3 of the bottle, so when you're back home, I'll bring it back up for you to try it out.

bda

• Don Nom likes this

#29 hagi

hagi

Newcomer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

anyone cares to share notes? what sniffer did you use for this particular XA?

#30 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for bringing that over Ballard, it was good but I was kind of rebounding from the vacation and the night before so not in the best shape for tasting. There's a bit left and I'll give it an honest tasting later in the week. Interesting packaging, definitely reminded me of a Chinaco product...that much I can say.