• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TequilaPicker

TequilaPicker

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

I recently discovered a really cool crystal spirit glass called "The Glencairn". Its been produced in Scotland since 2001 and is popular among Scotch drinkers and aficionado's. It looked like a unique glass so I grabbed a couple to try with Tequila. To my surprise, I actually like it better than the Riedel Tequila glass. For starters...it seems to develop a more obvious or strong nose when compared to the Reidel. The initial flavors seem to be a bit more concentrated too. I also like that it's not so tall and has a solid glass base, it feels stable in your hand. It was designed for Scotch but it seems to work very well with tequila. Their web site is www.whiskyglass.com but you can find them at stores everywhere. They are about the same price as the Riedel, around $7.95 each.

GlenCairn Glass

Edited by TequilaPicker, 25 March 2014 - 07:40 PM.

#2 Tonga

Tonga

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

I recently discovered a really cool crystal spirit glass called "The Glencairn". Its been produced in Scotland since 2001 and is popular among Scotch drinkers and aficionado's. It looked like a unique glass so I grabbed a couple to try with Tequila. To my surprise, I actually like it better than the Riedel Tequila glass. For starters...it seems to develop a more obvious or strong nose when compared to the Reidel. The initial flavors seem to be a bit more concentrated too. I also like that it's not so tall and has a solid glass base, it feels stable in your hand. It was designed for Scotch but it seems to work very well with tequila. Their web site is www.whiskyglass.com but you can find them at stores everywhere. They are about the same price as the Riedel, around $7.95 each.

In addition to the 408 tequila glasses, I'm also using the Type O spirit glass (general spirits), we call them 'sippy cups' and distribute them to folks that are prone to knocking 408s over (you know who you are). Besides being more stable than the 408, they work surprisingly well.

Attached Files

#3 JohnnyBoots

JohnnyBoots

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

I've been really happy with my Glencairns, almost to the point as to using them exclusively. I like the heft, the fact that they're less prone to being knocked over, etc.

I've been meaning to taste test side by side too...

#4 bbowler

bbowler

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 164 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

I think the riedel may concentrate the nose of the tequila a bit more to me but in my limited experience I would say not enough to not use the Glencairns. I love em and they look good as well.

#5 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

I like the "general spirits" glasses without the stems. We use them all the time here at home for wine. When you live in a house with cats, dogs and a ukulele player who likes to roam about the house plinking, glasses that don't knock over easily are a plus. Never tried them for tequila - I tend towards a Reidel or small cognac snifter for those, but I will try it. Thanks for the idea.

#6 naranja

naranja

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:12 AM

Here's a poor man's Glencairn... the "Bellemain" whisky glass,  $18 for a set of 6 and good reviews: http://www.amazon.co...pr_product_top

Attached File  61INs9Pqy6L._SL1500_.jpg   20.1KB   0 downloads

#7 hondajustin

hondajustin

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

I had to replace some Reidel's last week so I also order the Glencairn looking forward to do a side by side comparison. 

#8 *45*

*45*

Transcendent Agave Master

• 1,820 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:51 PM

Here's a poor man's Glencairn... the "Bellemain" whisky glass, $18 for a set of 6 and good reviews: http://www.amazon.co...pr_product_top

61INs9Pqy6L._SL1500_.jpg

Not a bad price! 👍

But, Crate and Barrel had the original on sale for $6 a few months back. Not sure if that is a common sale price for them, but I grabbed 6 of them at the time. 🍻

#9 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

For Canadian buyers, Amazon.ca has them:

http://www.amazon.ca...ds=Whisky Glass