#1 LosOjosRojos

LosOjosRojos

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hola all!

I had the distinct pleasure of attending an amazing mezcal tasting last week.

The tasting was conducted by Jeff Furchtenicht, owner of the El Zaguan Bed and Art in San Miguel  de Allende, GTO.

Jeff is a big fan of mezcal, a true afficiando and possesses a pantload of information.

His hobby and passion is plunking around the  back roads of Oaxaca discovering truly traditional (he calls them Artisanal) mezcaleros.

We taste 14 mezcals altogether.

The majority were very good with only a few (I thought) were not my style.

I have included some pics of the bottles and labels Jeff made.  

I like the way he put all the information you need right on the label , with exception of ABV/proof.

Good job Jeff!

Label_R05.jpgLabel_R10.jpgLabel_R15.jpgLabel_R17.jpgLabel_R20.jpg

#2 LosOjosRojos

LosOjosRojos

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

FORGOT ONE!

Label_R25.jpg

#3 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Totally jealous! What were the Javeli, Sierra Negra and Especial de Frutas like? Frankly I'm surprised there are repos included though. It was my understanding that wood aging of mezcal was not a traditional practice in Oaxaca...is that not correct?

#4 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

"single copper distillation" ? how? with a column still? interesting. what are the % Abvs (Proof) if all the expressions if I may ask. provecho

#5 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

Totally jealous! What were the Javeli, Sierra Negra and Especial de Frutas like? Frankly I'm surprised there are repos included though. It was my understanding that wood aging of mezcal was not a traditional practice in Oaxaca...is that not correct?

there was some "tradicional" mezcal doctrine put out by the Mezonte & InSitu founders outlining these requirements (posted on Mezcal PhD I think and online). Aging Joven mezcales is more the artisanal way apparently....

#6 LosOjosRojos

LosOjosRojos

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

The Javeli was my absolute LEAST favorite. My score 1.5 out 5

The Sierra Negra was pretty  darn good - My score 3.75 out of 5.  Rodolfo Juan makes some good mezcals across the board.

He is well respected in San Juan del Rio.

Especial de Frutas - I guess I tasted them but made no notes . Of no interest to me.

re: repos

Your are absolutely correct.  Not much interest in making repos and aƱejos down there.  These were more less novelties  as Jeff referred to them. Of no interest to me.

#7 LosOjosRojos

LosOjosRojos

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

"single copper distillation" ? how? with a column still? interesting. what are the % Abvs (Proof) if all the expressions if I may ask. provecho

"single copper distillation" means the fermented agave 'mash' is placed in a copper vessel that has a condensing  coil (or water bath).

Once the still is fired up (as you well know I'm sure) the alcohols boil first as steam which is chilled and returned to a liquid state. We'll call this the 'first run'

Also keep in mind that probably the first 10-15% of the first run is no good and is thrown away. (contains methanols and other crap. Whisky makers call this the foreshot)

The next 50-70% of distillate is what you are after. The heart of the watermelon so to speak. 

But as the still continues to heat and distill, you are getting more water being distilled  as well. This dilutes the first run.

"double distilled' mean you are taking the 'first run' and re-distilling it. Not as much waste in this distilling phase but you are leaving behind more water (there is lees water in the first place)  and getting more and more refined alcohol.

Jeff does not have an hydrometer be he said most of what we drank was in the 42-48% range.

#8 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for sharing!

#9 *45*

*45*

Transcendent Agave Master

• 1,834 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

"single copper distillation" ? how?

Just learned if this recently, as 2 of the La Venenosa raicilla products are distilled only once. By starting off with a higher alcohol content with the fermented musto, a single distillation results in a higher alcohol percentage.