Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

Brand Name: Mezcal Santa Pedrera Rompedor de Tristezas

Producer: Espiritu Corsa S. A. de C.V.
Origin: San Agustin Amatengo, Ejutla, Oaxaca
Importer: Casa Xipe, Manhasset, NY

Retailer: Andrews Wine Cellars, Oswego, NY. $35.99.
Type: Joven

Distillations:  ?
Gusano: No
Alcohol by Volume: 46%

Lot: 003SP2012

Number: 000438

Closure: Real cork topped with plastic
Bottle: 750mL tall, clear bottle
Agave: 100% Espadin

Visual: Water-clear, no sediment. A few quick pearls.

Nose: Clean, vegetal espadin agave, just a bit of hardwood charcoal smoke, few, if any botanical or fruity esters. Simple, but not plain: pure Espadin mezcal aromatics.

Body/Taste: At 46% abv, there isn't a big lip buzz or numbing sensation; actually tastes almost as smooth as a 40% abv, though there is some moderate heat towards the end of the palate, and a bit of afterglow on the sides of the tongue. A slight, lingering ash flavor, but not acrid or bitter a burnt taste as with some of the other brands. Agave mash sweetness is there, but subdued; nothing flawed here, and the mash sweetness intensifies nicely. 

Overall Impression: Great. Apparently this is exported by the Espiritu Lauro group. I've shied away from their other 40% products, perhaps unjustifiably, but I'm quite happy with this purchase. It doesn't taste like 46%, but neither is it light or watery; there's a good alcohol presence, wonderfully clean Espadin agave character, and no real faults. While there's nothing particularly unique about it, it's well-made, and offers the perfect entry point for mezcal neophytes who have tried a few low-cost, available mezcals and want to take the next step towards the top shelf small-batch single-village brands. I'd put it on par with the 43% abv El Buho, which I really liked for much the same reasons. In fact I'd go as far as saying this is what El Buho should have been; they are both clean, well-made, unadorned and reasonably-priced bottles, but this one has slightly bigger cojones--and for $36 vs the owl's $30, it's the clear winner.

Bang for the Buck Rating: Very good. Even slightly better than very good. I'd say this meets my personal minimum specs on "real mezcal," and at this price point, it's a bargain.  Definitely a bottle you want to try; I'd take two of these over many of the $70 bottles I've tried.

Attached Files