• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 La.Casa.de.Tequilas

La.Casa.de.Tequilas

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Planning on buying My first mezcal bottle on Friday.  :D  Any suggestions on which Del Maguey product to buy first? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.  

#2 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

Tobala,Chichicapa & Minero are my favs but the newer ones San Luis Del Rio Azul,Espadin Especial,Arroqueno,Santa Catarina Minas & San Jose Rio Minas are very nice (only sampled them didn´t really have time to sit down and enjoy). The newer series: Wild Papalometl,Wild Tepextate, & San Pedro Taviche are apparently only available in France http://www.whisky.fr...del-maguey.html

The Chichicapa Cask Finish is fantastic but pricey - good thing I know of a bar that has 2 full bottles  lol http://www.parkaveli...venue Exclusive

#3 gabe

gabe

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

If you can afford it, get the Tobala first. I think the Espadin Especial is stellar. Of the four basic varieties, I'm partial to Minero but everyone seems to have their own preference. Don't sweat it though; in my experience there's no such thing as a bad bottle when it comes to Del Maguey.

#4 La.Casa.de.Tequilas

La.Casa.de.Tequilas

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

If you can afford it, get the Tobala first. I think the Espadin Especial is stellar. Of the four basic varieties, I'm partial to Minero but everyone seems to have their own preference. Don't sweat it though; in my experience there's no such thing as a bad bottle when it comes to Del Maguey.

Thanks Gabe.  :t_up:  :t_up:

#5 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Take my opinion with a grain of salt... and half a lime and a shot of 7 Leguas... Bad joke, I know.

Try Sombra... it's reasonably priced and it comes from Del Maguey. Vida kind of sucks... All the other branded DM products are very good... I prefer Chichicapa, did not care for Pechuga.

If you're going to have any tequila, make sure to have it before the Mezcal as it will overpower the tequila.

Salud!

• DelMagueyMezcal likes this

#6 La.Casa.de.Tequilas

La.Casa.de.Tequilas

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

Take my opinion with a grain of salt... and half a lime and a shot of 7 Leguas... Bad joke, I know.

Try Sombra... it's reasonably priced and it comes from Del Maguey. Vida kind of sucks... All the other branded DM products are very good... I prefer Chichicapa, did not care for Pechuga.

If you're going to have any tequila, make sure to have it before the Mezcal as it will overpower the tequila.

Salud!

Your opinion is always appreciated.  :t_up:  :t_up:  :t_up: I'll keep my eyes open for Sombra. I don't remember seeing it anywhere.

#7 *45*

*45*

Transcendent Agave Master

• 1,834 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:32 AM

100% agreed! 👍

#8 jdjohn84

jdjohn84

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

^+1 especially on the Tobala!

Salud!

Sombra is a smoke bomb, so keep in mind it won't have the fruitiness that comes through in better mezcals.  Don't let Sombra scare you away!

Funny, I was introducing some newbies to tequila and mezcal awhile back, and the girl in the group liked mezcals much better than the tequilas.  That has only happened once in my experience.

Edited by jdjohn84, 13 June 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#9 La.Casa.de.Tequilas

La.Casa.de.Tequilas

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

^+1 especially on the Tobala!

Sombra is a smoke bomb, so keep in mind it won't have the fruitiness that comes through in better mezcals.  Don't let Sombra scare you away!

Funny, I was introducing some newbies to tequila and mezcal awhile back, and the girl in the group liked mezcals much better than the tequilas.  That has only happened once in my experience.

Just found it for $35 at Bevmo. Think I'll give it a try.

#10 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:51 AM

Sombra was originally sourced from one of the DM palenques but now nothing close to any of them IMHO - though still a great entry into Mezcal

#11 La.Casa.de.Tequilas

La.Casa.de.Tequilas

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

Well ended up buying the Del Maguey Espadin Especial cause someone else got to the Tobala bottle first. But boy em I happy that I bought this!!!  :icon_mrgreen: Light to medium light on the smokiness but with tons of fresh agave on the nose. I'm loving this!!! :drink: Definitely does not taste like 90 proof juice even though it is. I'm going to have to pace myself with this bottle. Going to go back tomorrow and pick up the other Espadin Especial bottle for stock.  :D

#12 La.Casa.de.Tequilas

La.Casa.de.Tequilas

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thanks Gabe, Alex & Khrys for the help. Very much appreciated.  :t_up:  :t_up:  :t_up:

#13 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

funny how somebody needs to be convinced to buy a DM product :drink:

#14 La.Casa.de.Tequilas

La.Casa.de.Tequilas

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 213 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

:drink:  :drink:  :drink:  :drink:

#15 DelMagueyMezcal

DelMagueyMezcal

Newcomer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

FYI - Sombra hasn't been made at a Del Maguey palenque for more than 2 years. The NOM numbers should differ.
  • Don Nom likes this

#16 La.Casa.de.Tequilas

La.Casa.de.Tequilas

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:52 AM

FYI - Sombra hasn't been made at a Del Maguey palenque for more than 2 years. The NOM numbers should differ.

Do you know what are the new and old NOM's?

#17 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

Salud!

"sucks"?!?! kind of harsh Alex - Vida is great entry for the price IMHO it's just settle not fuerte - complexities are there....that & the Crema make great additions in cocktails ;)

interesting DelMagueyMezcal - hopefully you can share which palenque was sourced for that Sombra - I'll take a guess & say Chichicapa?!?!
stigibeu

#18 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

I can only surmise that you work for DelMaguey... My bad...

"sucks"?!?! kind of harsh Alex

Excuse me!!!??? THAT- Chad is my opinion... harsh or not. You want to consume Vida? More power to you  :)

#19 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

Sorry Alex but I just don't agree with your assessment "kind of sucks" - don't take it too literally tho

But I thought Vida was meant for cocktails... but dunno - I could see why "seasoned" Mezcal sippers might consider Vida too light - to be fair I think this particular DM is a perfect entry point for newbies of the Mezcal world IMHO

guess palates change but little under 3 years ago you gave the Vida 4.5/5 stars so how can it go from that to "sucks" so quickly? cheers

http://www.blueagave...n-luis-del-rio/

#20 Mezcalito

Mezcalito

Newcomer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

That Sombra was (I believe) originally from San Luis Del Rio but now is from San Juan del Rio.

By the way, if we are talking DM, IMHO Chichicapa is the shining star. I'll take it over the Tobala any day. Minero is pretty damn fine as well.

• DelMagueyMezcal likes this

#21 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

That Sombra was (I believe) originally from San Luis Del Rio but now is from San Juan del Rio.

By the way, if we are talking DM, IMHO Chichicapa is the shining star. I'll take it over the Tobala any day. Minero is pretty damn fine as 

interesting thanks Mezcalito - your rustic-ish photo looks vaguely familar lol - glad to see your presence on BAF - agree  DM Chichi,Minero & Tobala are my favs 

provecho

#22 Mezcalito

Mezcalito

Newcomer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

haha busted!

#23 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

lol no no its awesome - the Mezcal part of BAF has always been rather thin - any knowledge you're willing to share from the palenque perspective would be greatly appreciated by all here I'm sure

#24 Mezcalito

Mezcalito

Newcomer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

I'm happy to provide whatever perspective I can. There is lots to talk about in the mezcal world at the moment.

Since this is a DM thread, did anyone try that 15 year aged in glass Chichicpa with 6 month cask finish. What's it like?