• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 acidcacti

acidcacti

Newcomer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

Although some mezcals that are a little low on the smoky side can still be incredibly complex and delicious, this specific quality in mezcal really makes it all the more interesting to me. I definately can't enjoy any of the sin humo varieties, one sip and the first thing I'll think is: "something's missing". I know any great mezcal is defined by a good balance between smoke and agave, but just for the sake of it, I think elaborating a list of mezcals that are really, really smoky would be pretty interesting.

One of the smokiest I've tried is one that I can't find anymore, Mezcal Ultramarine, an espadín.

any others?

#2 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Probably the smokiest I've tried was Sombra. I've also heard DM San Luis del Rio and Los Nahuales blanco are pretty smoky, but I can't speak from personal experience. Fidencio Clasico also has a nice smoke profile.

#3 Don Nom

Don Nom

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

I was going to say Clasico as well. Also I found Don Amado to be quite smoky, at least I recall it being that way.

#4 JohnnyBoots

JohnnyBoots

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

I thought the Los Nahueles/Danzantes was fairly soft but I could be accustomed to it. The repo was smokier and creamier though. I concur on the Sombra.

#5 Don Nom

Don Nom

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

That's probably why Sombra seems to be a favorite of bartenders making cocktails, a lot of mezcal smokiness at a good price point.

#6 JohnnyBoots

JohnnyBoots

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

I think you've got a point DN, I enjoyed the Sombra cocktails I made at home a hell of a lot more than the vida. That smoke doesn't get lost with the other ingredients.

#7 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

Alipus San Juan del Rio & Del Maguey Pechuga,San Luis Del Rio & Minero get my votes

#8 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

What about pierde almas %40 for cocktails?

#9 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

What about pierde almas %40 for cocktails?

I find that the lower % Abv mezcals get lost in a cocktail unless it´s smoky