Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

Brand Name: Mezcal Siete Misterios

Producer: Don Alberto Vasquez for Mare A Canards, SA de CV
Origin: Sola de Vega, Oaxaca

Importer: Authentic Beverage Management, LLC

Retailer: Andrews Wine Cellars, Oswego, NY. $79.99.

Type: Joven

Distillations:  2, in clay pots

Gusano: No

Alcohol by Volume: 48.7

Bottle#: 33/1950

Manufacture Year: 2008

Closure: Real cork topped with real wood.

Bottle: 750mL tall, clear bottle.
Agave: 100% Arroqueno

Visual: Water-clear, no sediment. Lasting perlas formed during the pour.

Nose:

Clean, vegetal agave;  just a tinge of smoke; a pleasant yeasty-bready mellowness. Whereas Yuu Baal was all over the map with botanical complexity, this one is a very pure, straightforward agave expression.With the clay pot distillation, I was looking for earthy notes; there aren't many. It's clean and mellow. Almost like roast agave and freshly-baked brioche with a side of cognac. Alongside Yuul Ball, it's equally delicious--just totally different.

Body/Taste: Again, very simple: roast agave, some breadiness, and then a penetrating alcohol numbness that is inescapable at this proof, but totally authentic for mezcal. It's crazy how plain and simple this is, yet that is no denigration: it's just proof of how different these spirits can be. This one too is excellent. "Complex" just isn't what it's about; it's a direct mezcal expression, even downplaying such intrinsic elements as smoke. But somehow--it works.

Overall Impression:
I don't know which mystery this is out of seven (probably the arroqueno), but what's mysterious to me is how such a
clean mezcal can be so intriguing. Where's the smoke? Where's the earth? Where are the fruits and flowers? Fidencio Sin Humo left me wanting more. This one gets the job with almost no classic mezcal qualifications. Maybe I'm just a sucker for high-proof mezcals, but mysteriously enough, it's plain, simple and yet beautifully satisfying.

Rating: Very Good to Excellent. It's not a head-scratcher when it comes to identifying what you are drinking. Ironically, the mystery is more in how they made it so simple and yet so appealing, rather than throwing a weekend Farmer's Market of aromas and flavors at you. What separates it from a good tequila? Good question. But it is mezcal, unquestionably, and a wonderful one at that. I may need more time to figure this one out.

Bang for the Buck Rating:Great. Yup, I'd get this one again. Maybe not at the top of my list, but definitely worth picking up.

• juliomestre likes this

#2 don Pablo

don Pablo

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

These reviews are almost too good! With the next one, I think I will review the rating and bang for the buck, then order if warranted*, then compare notes. Leave some of the mystery to be revealed, and get a chance to work on my palate and tasting notes....

*Unrelated, I committed to hosting a mezcal tasting event for charity, so will be looking to pick up half a dozen new mezcals. Appreciate your tasting notes!

#3 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

I enjoyed this Siete Misterios brand over the pricier El Jolgorio when at a tasting event but again YMMV cheers and again nice review

#4 juliomestre

juliomestre

Newcomer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

This is an awesome review, thank you Guy DeLouche for such detailed information.

The Arroqueño is the mystery number 5 out of 7.

Cheers.

Julio Mestre

Los Siete Misterios - Brand Ambassador

#5 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

This is an awesome review, thank you Guy DeLouche for such detailed information.

The Arroqueño is the mystery number 5 out of 7.

Cheers.

Julio Mestre

Los Siete Misterios - Brand Ambassador

welcome to the BAF Julio! enjoy your Mezcals wish they were more available in Sinaloa,MX cheers

• juliomestre likes this