Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Brand Name: Mezcal Yuu Baal Agave Silvestre Madrecuixe

Producer: Nemesio Martinez
Origin: San Luis del Rio, Tlacolula, Oaxaca

Importer: MHW, Ltd., Manhasset, NY

Retailer: Andrews Wine Cellars, Oswego, NY. $64.99.

Type: Joven

Distillations:  2, in copper stills

Gusano: No

Proof: 96

Bottle#: 68/426

Lot#: YJ02-12

Closure: Real cork topped with real plastic.

Bottle: 750mL tall, clear bottle.
Agave: Madrecuixe

Visual: Water-clear, no sediment. Lasting perlas formed during the pour.
Nose:
Earthy, hay-like aroma; wet clay, canvas or perhaps plaster; anise and fennel. Just a trace of smoke, but barely perceptible, even though I tend to have a high tolerance for smoke. Floral volatiles arise as it warms...roses? No, but close. There is a fruity component as well, but I can't identify it. There is no copper penny aroma, no nail polish and no airplane glue. I don't miss any of those.
Body/Taste: A nice transition from sweet agave to alcohol sting, and then that inevitable mouth and lip numbness from the 48% alcohol.
Aftertaste/Finish:
The sweetness returns toward the back of the throat, with a pleasant lingering burn. None of the mouth-filling agave mash sweetness of some of the espadins; this plant is more nuanced. Smoke is still ever so faint. Delicious.
Overall
Impression: An excellent mezcal; complex, exciting, mysterious; almost dares you to describe
it. The madrecuixe seems like such an explosion of botanicals; herbs, fruit, spices and such; but the earthy nuances, what I've only been able to label as wet clay or plaster, seem to mark it as unique from espadin mezcals. Yuu will not be disappointed with this one. It's among the top 10 I've tried. I find the near lack of smoke beguiling, as that usually bothers me in a mezcal, but this one is so interesting otherwise, and well, un-tequila-like that I don't really miss it. More than with almost any other mezcal, this one literally breathes the scents and flavors of the soil and flora where its magueys were harvested; transporting, really.

Rating: Excellent. Full marks. I'm guessing that with runs of 426 bottles at a go, there will be variations batch to batch. I would happily pay $65 again for another, perhaps slightly different olfactory tour of Tlacolula.
Bang for the Buck Rating: Excellent. A bit pricier than my recent favorite Marca Negra (espadin), but this madrecuixe explores new territory. Marca Negra is near the pinnacle for espadin; it would be interesting if each distiller swapped varieties.

#2 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

nice review Guy DeLouche Mezcal Yuu Baal is def a worth brand in this ever expanding Mezcal world IMHO cheers