• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fuzzy Logic

Fuzzy Logic

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

"Though he agrees that the use of natural yeast makes mezcal a purer spirit than tequila (as the latter’s production has become industrialized, chemicals and additives are routinely used to speed up fermentation), he’s loath to offer any uneducated hypotheses on its feel-good properties."

More here:

http://www.readabili...ticles/2usac24a

#2 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

"Though he agrees that the use of natural yeast makes mezcal a purer spirit than tequila (as the latter’s production has become industrialized, chemicals and additives are routinely used to speed up fermentation), he’s loath to offer any uneducated hypotheses on its feel-good properties."

More here:

http://www.readabili...ticles/2usac24a

I'm from Britsh Columbia - I know for a fact there isn't 40 varieties of Mezcal available even if you include the brands of Tequila - hmmm and don't think Mr.Lorenz was behind all of this happening. that's journalism - but to give him huge credit he has co-founded the Vancouver Tequila Expo.

#3 SpineTwister

SpineTwister

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

Hi guys,

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this - if one of you had tagged my BAF account I would have done so much earlier of course.

So...

If you read the article, you'll see that the Comments section contains 1 comment from me doing my best to refute the mistakes & misattributions in the article - including the goofy statement connecting "purity" (whatever that means in this context!!) with natural vs. commercial yeast. As vanguero points out, this is a case of a journalist interjecting something that never was stated.

However, vanguero indicates that there were not 40 varieties of mezcal in BC at the time - in fact, there were indeed at least 32 different mezcals available from Lorenz Agave Spirits at the time of writing, and others imported by other companies. All were (and still are) available at Legacy Liquor Store and other private liquor retailers - while only two were available at BC government stores.

Vanguero, weren't you already living in Culiacan at the time of your post ;-)?

-E

#4 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hi guys,

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this - if one of you had tagged my BAF account I would have done so much earlier of course.

So...

If you read the article, you'll see that the Comments section contains 1 comment from me doing my best to refute the mistakes & misattributions in the article - including the goofy statement connecting "purity" (whatever that means in this context!!) with natural vs. commercial yeast. As vanguero points out, this is a case of a journalist interjecting something that never was stated.

However, vanguero indicates that there were not 40 varieties of mezcal in BC at the time - in fact, there were indeed at least 32 different mezcals available from Lorenz Agave Spirits at the time of writing, and others imported by other companies. All were (and still are) available at Legacy Liquor Store and other private liquor retailers - while only two were available at BC government stores.

Vanguero, weren't you already living in Culiacan at the time of your post ;-)?

-E

Yup correct and have been back in Canada a few times. Guess that I should of clarified better 40 varieties are not available if you just walked into any BCLB store and not all of BC has access to said private liquor stores.. :fiesta: Besides using the term "varieties" made it seem like British Columbia,Canada was/is flush with mezcal and tequila brands. Which sadly it isn't. Don't even get me started on the prices in the stores... $100+ for a reposado 

Keep in mind I've never really appreciated her articles on local cuisine etc and especially the recent one where she scores the restaurant 1.5 out of 4 stars "Decent restaurant, but very good bar" *sigh* and then writes about "tequila shooters" double **sigh**

http://www.theglobea...bile&cmpid=rss1