23 replies to this topic

#1 LosOjosRojos

LosOjosRojos

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Howdy all.  I just found this forum and thought maybe some of you might be interested in some photos of some mezcaleras here in San Luis Potosí and Guanajuato.  Some of the pics are not mezcal specific but just click through them.

Most of the pics are of Laguna Seca (Real de Magueyes) , Santa Isabel and Jarral de Barrio.

We usually make 2 'runs' a year and buy 4 or 5 20 liter garrafons.  The Santa Isabel is our favorite and cost 40 peso a liter (about 3 bucks a liter).  The 'altiplano' mezcal is typically made of the very large salmiana species and is cooked for 4 or 5 days in autoclaves.  They still manage to get a bit of a smokey flavor somehow. They also tend to be lower proof as well, 36-38%.  We like 'em.

Here's a link: http://www.engagesit...2012/index.html

#2 ronaldsi

ronaldsi

Newcomer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

They still manage to get a bit of a smokey flavor somehow. They also tend to be lower proof as well, 36-38%.  We like 'em.

________

DVD Online WorldWide

#3 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Howdy all.  I just found this forum and thought maybe some of you might be interested in some photos of some mezcaleras here in San Luis Potosí and Guanajuato.  Some of the pics are not mezcal specific but just click through them.

Most of the pics are of Laguna Seca (Real de Magueyes) , Santa Isabel and Jarral de Barrio.

We usually make 2 'runs' a year and buy 4 or 5 20 liter garrafons.  The Santa Isabel is our favorite and cost 40 peso a liter (about 3 bucks a liter).  The 'altiplano' mezcal is typically made of the very large salmiana species and is cooked for 4 or 5 days in autoclaves.  They still manage to get a bit of a smokey flavor somehow. They also tend to be lower proof as well, 36-38%.  We like 'em.

cool thanks for sharing - wondering why they dilute the spirit down so much .... enjoy the mezcals 45% Abv +

#4 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

What do you do with that when you get all of it?  bottle it?  drink it between the two of you?

#5 LosOjosRojos

LosOjosRojos

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Vanguero,

A fact probably few people know is Mezcals & Tequilas that are exported into the USA by USA law MUST BE 40% alcohol minimum.

As you probably DO KNOW, nearly ALL the Tequilas sold and consumed by Mexicans are around 35-37%.

I guess really it is a matter of choice but the consensus of my circle of 'Mezcalites' is we all prefer the lighter, less aggressive, less smokey

Central High Plains style of Mezcals. (because we drink a LOT OF IT! HA!) But that's is just us.

Jaberiman,

What do we do with all that Mezcal?  You are right on both counts...we bottle it (into more manageable sizes) and then we drink it!

Strictly for personal consumption. On our last 'jornado' there were 2 couples and 2 guys,  We got over 100 liters mostly from Santa Isabel & Laguna Seca and a little from Hacienda Solis and Jaral del Berrio(our least favorite).

#6 bpacifica

bpacifica

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Really enjoyed your pics.  Looks like a fun little excursion.  Care to share more about your trips?  Do you drive down or fly in then drive?  Where do you stay?  Any tour guides?  You guys look like a fun-loving group.

#7 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Vanguero,
A fact probably few people know is Mezcals & Tequilas that are exported into the USA by USA law MUST BE 40% alcohol minimum.
As you probably DO KNOW, nearly ALL the Tequilas sold and consumed by Mexicans are around 35-37%.
I guess really it is a matter of choice but the consensus of my circle of 'Mezcalites' is we all prefer the lighter, less aggressive, less smokey
Central High Plains style of Mezcals. (because we drink a LOT OF IT! HA!) But that's is just us.

Jaberiman,
What do we do with all that Mezcal? You are right on both counts...we bottle it (into more manageable sizes) and then we drink it!
Strictly for personal consumption. On our last 'jornado' there were 2 couples and 2 guys, We got over 100 liters mostly from Santa Isabel & Laguna Seca and a little from Hacienda Solis and Jaral del Berrio(our least favorite).

Ok so here are the rules 100% puro tequila is by CRT mandated to be 35-55% Abv or 70-110 Proof & 100% puro Mezcal is by COMERCAM to be 36-55% Abv or 72-110 Proof - the US mandates that spirits like Vodka,Gin,Bourbon,Tequila etc be a min 40% Abv. The reason most puro Tequilas in Mexico are supposedly 38% Abv is tax reasons - but I'm curious why the mezcal you purchase is only 35% Abv - seems to be really watered down.... Cheers

#8 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

I think that the US lowered the minimum alcohol content for spirits to 35% a few years. I know that Para Mí tequila was on the US market at 38%.

#9 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

I think that the US lowered the minimum alcohol content for spirits to 35% a few years. I know that Para Mí tequila was on the US market at 38%.

haven´t really looked at the TTB before now - kind of interesting - apparently Tequila & Mezcal is to be bottled at not less than 40% Abv (80 Proof)

https://docs.google....4ssQL26GJhvUlEA

http://www.ttb.gov/p...s_act052007.pdf

#10 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

haven´t really looked at the TTB before now - kind of interesting - apparently Tequila & Mezcal is to be bottled at not less than 40% Abv (80 Proof)

https://docs.google....4ssQL26GJhvUlEA

http://www.ttb.gov/p...s_act052007.pdf

Kool, thanks for finding that info. I wonder how Para Mí was able to sell at 38%...

#11 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

50 liters each? Dammnn boi

#12 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Kool, thanks for finding that info. I wonder how Para Mí was able to sell at 38%...

still curious of your paper/article take on Tequila & diffusers - libel is hard to prove if in forums like this *45* :)

#13 LosOjosRojos

LosOjosRojos

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

OK.. Afew follow ups:

1.) for bpacifica: myself and my wife and my gang of conspirators all live in San Miguel de Allende, GTO, MX.  I don't know of any mezcal specific tours in our area but I imagine there are some operators down in Oaxaca. I am sure there are some in Jalisco (tequila). 

re: other photo trips?? I have many but they may be incriminating. You understand I'm sure.

2.) re: minimum alcohol proof for USA imported tequila.

I know for a fact that tequila cannot be imported in to the USA at less that 40% alc.  A very good friend of mine has a start up tequila export business (http://www.blueiguanatequila.com) and he has tried every way from Sunday to get a lower proof tequila into the USA, but nada! Mezcal is also 40% min.

3: re: Para Mi

Their website says it's 80 proof.

#14 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing! Like your avatar...

#15 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

OK.. Afew follow ups:

1.) for bpacifica: myself and my wife and my gang of conspirators all live in San Miguel de Allende, GTO, MX.  I don't know of any mezcal specific tours in our area but I imagine there are some operators down in Oaxaca. I am sure there are some in Jalisco (tequila). 

re: other photo trips?? I have many but they may be incriminating. You understand I'm sure.

2.) re: minimum alcohol proof for USA imported tequila.

I know for a fact that tequila cannot be imported in to the USA at less that 40% alc.  A very good friend of mine has a start up tequila export business (http://www.blueiguanatequila.com) and he has tried every way from Sunday to get a lower proof tequila into the USA, but nada! Mezcal is also 40% min.

3: re: Para Mi

Their website says it's 80 proof.

but the Blue Iguana is 40% Abv. ... http://www.tequila.n...ml#.USpuezBg_Rw - look forward to trying this brand - this past September a friend of a friend was working for another brand from NOM1438  called Agavales - so spent the night with a bottle of blanco & repo - a relatively inexpensive & decent sipper IMHO

#16 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

You are right about what if does say on the website, but could swear that Para Mi was imported into the US at 38% alc back in 2007/2008.

Of course, I could be wrong. But i doubt it :D ;)

#17 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

You would be correct K.  I just dug out an old unopened bottle of Para Mi from that timeframe and it is NOM 1457, 38% Alc. Vol. (76 proof), imported by Alex, Steve, & Ed, Inc. of Ontario, Ca.  Interesting, below the front label there is another small label that reads "Authentically Diluted Tequila".  WTF that means, I dunno....  I vaguely remember tasting this stuff at SOM around that time and don't recall much about it  but my wife kinda liked it so I picked up a bottle and never opened it.  If someone needs a pic, let me know.

#18 SeattleJuan

SeattleJuan

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

You would be correct K.  I just dug out an old unopened bottle of Para Mi from that timeframe and it is NOM 1457, 38% Alc. Vol. (76 proof), imported by Alex, Steve, & Ed, Inc. of Ontario, Ca.  Interesting, below the front label there is another small label that reads "Authentically Diluted Tequila".  WTF that means, I dunno....  I vaguely remember tasting this stuff at SOM around that time and don't recall much about it  but my wife kinda liked it so I picked up a bottle and never opened it.  If someone needs a pic, let me know.

WTF that means is that it is labeled correctly per the TTB. Any tequila imported and less then 40%ABV must be labeled as diluted tequila.

Not really very difficult to understand why no one really does this. Who wants to be associated with a product labeled "diluted tequila"?

#19 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

SeattleJuan is 100% correct - posted this tidbit about US TTB & import requirements of Tequila on Fb 100% group: "Reduction with water to a bottling proof of not less than 80 degrees of proof, provided, however, if diluted with water to a bottling proof of less than 80 degrees of proof, such dilution must be pursuant to an approved formula on TTB F 5110.38, Formula for Distilled Spirits Under the Federal Alcohol Administration Act and the product must be labeled as “Diluted Tequila.” "

http://www.ttb.gov/i...2006/06-03.html

#20 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

Thanks for the info guys..now I know

#21 LosOjosRojos

LosOjosRojos

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hey everybody!

Good research and information here.  I feel I can speak more intelligently about mezcal every time I read your posts.  Thanks Again.

So OK then.. technically a 'tequila' CAN be imported into the USA BUT it has to be labeled as 'diluted tequila'.  I don't think I would want

to put that on my label either but it really is too bad because the slightly lower proof tequilas and mezcals have been (for the most part)

made that way for hundreds of years. Leave it up to the god 'ole USA to screw up traditions.

LASTLY, just got back from a mezcal run to some mezcalers in Zacatecas (La Pendencia, Saldaña & Santa Teresa) and  of course we went by

Santa Isabel in San Luis Potosí as well. Total purchase...200 liters!  Will put together another ''web album' soon. 

http://www.engagesit...ots/Saldana.jpg

#22 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hey everybody!

Good research and information here.  I feel I can speak more intelligently about mezcal every time I read your posts.  Thanks Again.

So OK then.. technically a 'tequila' CAN be imported into the USA BUT it has to be labeled as 'diluted tequila'.  I don't think I would want

to put that on my label either but it really is too bad because the slightly lower proof tequilas and mezcals have been (for the most part)

made that way for hundreds of years. Leave it up to the god 'ole USA to screw up traditions.

LASTLY, just got back from a mezcal run to some mezcalers in Zacatecas (La Pendencia, Saldaña & Santa Teresa) and  of course we went by

Santa Isabel in San Luis Potosí as well. Total purchase...200 liters!  Will put together another ''web album' soon. 

think this TTB stuff goes back to Prohibition era & must be related to some tax thing... keep in mind both Mexican agenices the CRT & COMERCAM mandate 100% Agave Tequilas & Mezcals to be Tequila (35-55% Abv) & Mezcal (36-55%Abv)

http://www.dof.gob.m...echa=13/12/2012

http://www.comercam....70-SCFI-199.pdf

#23 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hey everybody!

Traditionally, mezcals and tequilas were sold in Mexico at 45% and higher.  But tax laws, consumer demands, and profit, brought it down to 35-40%.  Personally, I'm not a fan of water being added to dilute, and enjoy my agave spirits at 45% or higher. :D

#24 La.Casa.de.Tequilas

La.Casa.de.Tequilas

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

Great pictures!!!  :t_up:  :t_up:  :t_up:  Can't wait to make my journey down to Oaxaca and see this for myself.