19 replies to this topic

#1 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

Hey you guys,
I went into a liquor store today and they had this really old looking 1.75 of jose cuervo. I wanted to take a look at it because it was the first I've seen like that, and I wanted to see if it was a mixto or not. When looking at the label, it did not say tequila it sais it was a spirit distilled from the mezcal plant. It looked like it was maybe from the 70's? the guy said he would give it to me for $23, but I passed because i didnt see %100 on the label, and I have no idea what old cuervo product is like. I can remember what the name of it was under the jose cuervo logo, something like Relina or something. also, it had a screw top. anyone ever hear of this??

I figure it is before they had to label tequila with the current markings of blue weber and all that, so it was just all considered mezcal back then. Help me solve this case of what this bottle is!

#2 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

white screw top

#3 Tequila4me

Tequila4me

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

photos of the bottle would help, did you happen to snap a couple pic of the bottle?

#4 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I can go back. Is there any chance in the world it would be worth it? Did the ilder currvo befroe it was labeled tequila taste better? Ill try to get back and snap a pick

#5 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:53 AM

Hey you guys,
I went into a liquor store today and they had this really old looking 1.75 of jose cuervo. I wanted to take a look at it because it was the first I've seen like that, and I wanted to see if it was a mixto or not. When looking at the label, it did not say tequila it sais it was a spirit distilled from the mezcal plant. It looked like it was maybe from the 70's? the guy said he would give it to me for $23, but I passed because i didnt see %100 on the label, and I have no idea what old cuervo product is like. I can remember what the name of it was under the jose cuervo logo, something like Relina or something. also, it had a screw top. anyone ever hear of this??

I figure it is before they had to label tequila with the current markings of blue weber and all that, so it was just all considered mezcal back then. Help me solve this case of what this bottle is!

I'd buy it just because it says Jose Cuervo Mezcal. That alone is worth the historical value of it. :t_up:

Please post pics :fiesta:

#6 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

this is what i don´t get with store owners - ok you have this store with inventory let´s say liquor - and you see this one bottle that appears oldish - just wonder how this day & age a person can´t do a simple "google" search - I get it most of the time it´s just a $9/hr employee working the counter but still - on my recent trip to LA this past Sept. - I came across many so-so treasure bottles at small liquor stops where the owner was completely clueless about such product - example #1 JCA wax seal no dongle $45 & left one behind - this guy was def the owner because he was going into the backroom & was like "I got these bottles (2 Don Alejo blancos & some old whiskey) that you make like" - looking back he was only asking $30US for the blancos which are supposedly made by cousins of the Camarena fam - damn luggage space worries

my rule of thumb - if I see a bottle from a well known Tequila brand like Cuervo that has MEZCAL anywhere on a label - grab it - buy it - no questions asked -walk out of the store quietly - of course haven´t had such a chance :red_smile:

#7 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Is it actually worth anything? They have 2 bottles. I feel like its an older product, before they wrote tequila on the label. Im still scared because i dont want to have a massive hangover but its so old and rare looking i gotta cop it i guess

#8 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

Dude, pick em up and I am sure that are myriad aficionados who will take them off your hand if you are too "scared", me for one.

#9 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

K

#10 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

Holdin you to it tho

#11 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

And I'll take the other :D

#12 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Its weird no one has seen these before. Im bout to snatch em!

#13 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

post some photos of the front & back of the bottles

#14 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

ok here it is!!! Now what is it? When's it from? What's it like? I promised one bottle to someone already so yeahhh

Attached Files

#15 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

Hey you guys,
I went into a liquor store today and they had this really old looking 1.75 of jose cuervo. I wanted to take a look at it because it was the first I've seen like that, and I wanted to see if it was a mixto or not. When looking at the label, it did not say tequila it sais it was a spirit distilled from the mezcal plant.

Thanks for posting the pics. I think your original description was misleading though; it clearly claims to be TEQUILA.

Sorry I can't help with any historical details for this particular bottle; I only buy to drink.

#16 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

Yeah I realized that when I went back to buy it oops! it does say mezcal on it though!

#17 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

Tried using this good site to match up your bottle not sure if the older bottles with Puro mean 100% Agave - maybe this is a mixto no clue if this bottle is antique or classic :S

http://www.tequilasd...&palabra_clave=

#18 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

Thanks for trying to help! There is another bottle if anyones interested.

#19 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

http://www.tequilasd...&palabra_clave=

this is the same one but the one I have is a 1.75 instead of the listed. 750. it says its an antique bottle

#20 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

there is no crt or nom on the bottle anywhere so I figure it's gotta be at least that many years old? I dont know when they started making NOM or CRT standard. I am gonna try it but I want to find out what it is first!