• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 don Pablo

don Pablo

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Called down to "my guy" in advance of an upcoming trip to Cabo. Said his best mezcal at the moment is Jolgorio. All give or take US $100. Anyone know much about this stuff? Outside my price range on mezcal unless it is life-changing.

Silvestre Mexicano $1302.56
Silvestre Tobala $1476.92
Silvestre Madre Cushe $1476.92
Barril $1476.92

#2 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

yeah have seen & sampled various bottles (Madrecuixe,Tepeztate,Tobala,Cuixe,Espadin,Mexicano,Barril,Pechuga/Espadin) at the local store here & to be honest for the $1200 -$1500MX pesos really don´t think it´s worth it IMO - don´t get me wrong they are really good but even the price here in western MX will not attract anyone.... but give them a try - it was the price that turned me off - apparently limited quantity made for each bottling 260Litres.... maybe why the prices are high but obviously the prices are supposedly much lower in Oaxaca

Attached File  263648_10151368516527932_1600610008_n.jpg   120.46KB   16 downloads

#3 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

Perfect, thanks for the feedback and picture.

#4 acidcacti

acidcacti

Newcomer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

I sampled a few of the jolgorio's in oaxaca city and I can say that the quality is up there with the del maguey's, except for the tepeztate which is simply the best mezcal I have ever tried, period. Absolutely distinct and absolutely delicious, it completely blows all other mezcals out of the water, as far as my palate is concerned.

#5 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

I sampled a few of the jolgorio's in oaxaca city and I can say that the quality is up there with the del maguey's, except for the tepeztate which is simply the best mezcal I have ever tried, period. Absolutely distinct and absolutely delicious, it completely blows all other mezcals out of the water, as far as my palate is concerned.

but I think the prices for the El Jolgorio are crazy ... dunno anyone in these parts that would spend $1500 MX pesos on a bottle

#6 acidcacti

acidcacti

Newcomer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

I haven't tried the del maguey tobalá or pechuga yet, so no opinion. I vas very impressed by their chichicapa, probably the best espadín i have ever sampled, however, their minero was good but didn't seem very special to me. Of course, I completely agree with you about alipús, it's without doubt the best brand in quality/price relation. Another excellent one is the real minero pechuga, but the price is even more prohibitive than el jolgorio; the jolgorio tepeztate was 1100 pesos in oaxaca and the real minero pechuga was 1900! Any other recomendations?

#7 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

Has anyone ever had a pechuga that ISNT good??

#8 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

I haven't tried the del maguey tobalá or pechuga yet, so no opinion. I vas very impressed by their chichicapa, probably the best espadín i have ever sampled, however, their minero was good but didn't seem very special to me. Of course, I completely agree with you about alipús, it's without doubt the best brand in quality/price relation. Another excellent one is the real minero pechuga, but the price is even more prohibitive than el jolgorio; the jolgorio tepeztate was 1100 pesos in oaxaca and the real minero pechuga was 1900! Any other recomendations?

still though - makes me skeptical that a brand like El Jolgorio with such a price range has a website with zero informative value was told it was made by the same people of Agave De Cortes which is a cooperative blend mezcal don´t know if El Jolgorio is the same  - don´t get me wrong the line up is descent - just that the prices are little high for what you´re getting again YMMV... but hey I´ve heard many times that there is really good Mezcal available in Guadalajara & Oaxaca cantinas for really low pesos. Having met RC & seen his passion for the single village mezcal as an art - all the DM mezcals are produced old school...... this is a great video clip http://www.veoh.com/...ors in Mezcal

Del Maguey Chichicapa Cask Mezcal. This “single village” mezcal is aged for 14 years in glass bottles, then finished in a Stags Leap Cabernet barrel for 43 days. The result: a light nut-brown mezcal with beautiful aromas of raisin, vanilla and dark chocolate, with a mellow pepper note in the background. But it’s a limited edition, priced at a hefty $320.

-  from this article made me want to try this http://www.winemag.c...nished-Spirits/

Remember for a Pechuga Mezcal you will pay a high premium as it is a rare production - RC laffed at some brands Pechuga (ie Fidencio) cuz the ingredients needed for a "true" Pechuga aren´t always available... and perhaps some brands were skimping on these ingredients....

I´ve tried a few Pechugas - Fidencio,Del Maguey,Pierde Almas,El Jolgorio - so far and would rate DM (1), Pierde Almas & El Jolgorio (2)tied , Fidencio (3) - have yet to try Danzantes Pechuga/Grana Cochinil

keep in mind there are many Mezcals in Guadalajara & Oaxaca that haven´t been exported out of MX

#9 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Not a big fan of Los Danzantes Pechuga (the red stuff).  I like the Pierde Almas Pechuga, but far prefer the Tobala.

#10 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

Am I the only one who is underwhelmed by pachugas?

#11 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

Nope.  I reserve the right to change my opinion.  I was gifted the Fidencio version -- thanks SJ! -- which I haven't tried yet, and for which I have higher hopes.  But so far, nothing I would pay lofty (or even normal) mezcal prices for.  For single agave, my preference is Tobala, at this stage.  So many other promising ones though (Tepaztate, etc.) -- not to mention blends.   :t_up:

#12 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Not a big fan of Los Danzantes Pechuga (the red stuff).  I like the Pierde Almas Pechuga, but far prefer the Tobala.

thanks don Pablo that Los Danzantes Pechuga/Grana Cochinil seems a tad expensive - prob saved me some $$$ cheers