• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ChainWhip

ChainWhip

Newcomer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

I've recently gotten into Agave in small part due to reading the Tequila threads on StraightBourbon - the TequilaTourist Blog and this site has been a great resource so far.

I've currently got the following open:

Aha Toro Blanco
Aha Toro Reposado
Aha Toro Anejo
ArteNOM 1146 Anejo
Corrido Anejo
Corrido Reposado
Corrido XA
Crotalo Anejo
Crotalo XA
Don Pilar Anejo
Don Pilar XA
Don Rich XA
El Tesoro Paradiso
Fortaleza Anejo
MuchoTe Reposado
Pueblo Viejo Orgullo Anejo
Sietes Leguas Anejo
T1 Anejo

I'm researching Mezcal as well since I typically drink Islay Scotches. Looking forward to learning lots and contributing here!

Edited by ChainWhip, 07 December 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#2 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Welcome - nice collection - looks like you enjoy the rested Tequilas. A great Mezcal brand is Del Maguey - doesn´t get much better than that - cheers

#3 ChainWhip

ChainWhip

Newcomer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

I think my Scotch & Bourbon background probably has something to do with my current tastes in Tequila. I'm working my way into blancos and will likely try the Fortaleza Blanco next though.

#4 duffneggs

duffneggs

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Welcome, ChainWhip! I enjoy the rested/aged tequilas as well. I haven't sampled a lot from your list, but did very much enjoy the ArteNOM 1146 and just received a bottle of the Crotalo Anejo which I am eager to try. Opposite to yourself, I actually just started getting into bourbons recently. I enjoy Maker's Mark and their new 46 version as well as Buffalo Trace and Bulleit. I've got my eye on a Four Roses Single Barrel for the holidays.

Salud!

#5 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 596 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

I think my Scotch & Bourbon background probably has something to do with my current tastes in Tequila. I'm working my way into blancos and will likely try the Fortaleza Blanco next though.

yeah when in Los Angeles this summer picked up a Lote 14 Fortaleza blanco - kicking myself that I don´t have more of this - superb juice! hats off to GES. well it might make me take a road trip to Jalisco :)

#6 *45*

*45*

Transcendent Agave Master

• 1,831 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:47 AM

yeah when in Los Angeles this summer picked up a Lote 14 Fortaleza blanco - kicking myself that I don´t have more of this - superb juice! hats off to GES. well it might make me take a road trip to Jalisco :)

You can order direct from the factory since you live in MX.
  • vanguero likes this

#7 ChainWhip

ChainWhip

Newcomer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

Welcome, ChainWhip! I enjoy the rested/aged tequilas as well. I haven't sampled a lot from your list, but did very much enjoy the ArteNOM 1146 and just received a bottle of the Crotalo Anejo which I am eager to try. Opposite to yourself, I actually just started getting into bourbons recently. I enjoy Maker's Mark and their new 46 version as well as Buffalo Trace and Bulleit. I've got my eye on a Four Roses Single Barrel for the holidays.

Salud!

I think the ArteNOM 1414 Reposado is next on my list. I absolutely love 4 Roses - they have single-barrel selections of all 10 of their recipes as well (Binny's & The Party Source have their own barrel-select bottles available). I think the standard 4RSB is their OBSV juice.

People keep recommending that Fortaleza Blanco - I'll have to add that to the list! (or is Fortaleza different in Mexico because the US's Fortaleza is actually Los Abuelos?)

Edited by ChainWhip, 14 December 2012 - 12:44 AM.

#8 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

People keep recommending that Fortaleza Blanco - I'll have to add that to the list! (or is Fortaleza different in Mexico because the US's Fortaleza is actually Los Abuelos?)

Same juice, as far as I know. *45* could confirm. They don't tweak the proof for U.S. markets like others (e.g., 7L).

#9 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 596 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

You can order direct from the factory since you live in MX.

yeah I know *45* - this past summer ordered 2 cases of CN with lirubis's help & still thinking of doing this with Fortaleza - just have to get it approved by the boss lol - it's easier to go out to the local store buy a couple of bottles & hide em in the pantry than having a delivery :)

#10 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 596 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Fortaleza b/r/a is just superb - trust us it's one of those products that you know GES has put his passion,heart & soul in - can't wait to me the guy & say so - also can't wait to try the "Extra Anejo" when it's released

#11 *45*

*45*

• 1,831 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

Fortaleza is the exact same product as Los Abuelos. Originally exported to the US as Los Abuelos, but changed the name due to trademark lawsuit by Ron Abuelo in upstate NY back in 2006. The judge wrote in his decision that "the average college student would not be able to differentiate between Ron Abuelo rum and Los Abuelos tequila." O_o

So the name for the US market was changed to the name of the distillery; La Fortaleza. After getting the labels printed, someone noticed that when the paperwork was filed to register the name, someone forgot the "La". Since a shipment needed to happen, and they didn't want to wait for the new "Fortaleza" labels, the La Fortaleza labels were used for a "few" blanco cases of (less than 50), with a silver sticker placed over the "La".

This happened during blanco Lote 2. In fact Lote 2 used all 3 labels for the American market. If anyone has each one of those, they would have a neat little collection!

While the Los Abuelos label is still put on some bottles for the Mexican market, Fortaleza is being used most of the time since fall of 2011.