• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Los Altos

Los Altos

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

weird... Yeah this set-up would be totally "counter-productive" to say the least... Head scratch

thanks again for sharing *45*

The conveyor belt wasnt there all the time, so the beleif (and taste) is that early 1079 products were in fact produced using the tahona.

#32 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Maybe they crush a little at a time then rotate it? I have a gen 1.5 1921 reposado. Its the leather strap without the strap. There is not an importer listed anywhere but it does say stonemilled on the bottom. Anyone else have these bottles with no importer?

#33 Don Nom

Don Nom

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:31 AM

Rounding back to this story...I'm currently reading Lance Cutler's "Tequila Lover's Guide to Mexico", and in it he talks about 1921 being tahona milled. Since the book was written in the late '90s (and revised in 2000), it's safe to assume that 1079's tahona was active at some point. I'd love to know when it was decommissioned, so we could really know what 1079 juice was rock crushed.

Going back to the book this morning, there are four brands listed as 1079 products. Three of them have production and tasting notes, and they all specifically mention tahona milling. Those would be 1921, Oro Azul and Tesoro Azteca. The fourth brand, Don Alejo, has no such notes but I have to believe it was also tahona milled "back in the day". I'm going to quote from the introduction to the 1921 brand.

"This is another maquila from the people at Oro Azul. These 100% blue agave tequilas are produced with the ancient methodology of hornos for steaming the agaves, a tahona for grinding, fermentation in wooden vats with the agave pulp, and slow distillation in small copper stills."

Both Oro Azul and Tesoro Azteca have similar statements about their production.

#34 JohnnyBoots

JohnnyBoots

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

Just looked at my newly purchase 1079's this morning. Now I wasn't drinking them, although the thought crossed my mind.

Blanco was lot 107 and repo was Lot 207, didn't think they went that high. Both are Gen 5's but they have this brown wax that I've only seen on earlier gen's.

#35 jdjohn84

jdjohn84

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

I wonder if they assigned the lot numbers at the time of bottling instead of at the time of distilling.  So for example, maybe the juice of your lot 207 repo was distilled at the same time as your lot 107 blanco, but when the repo was actually bottled out of the aging barrels, they were up to lot 207 (in general) and assigned that to the repo.

#36 JohnnyBoots

JohnnyBoots

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

It definitely seems that way. Now I need to check my others

#37 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

I wonder if they assigned the lot numbers at the time of bottling instead of at the time of distilling.  So for example, maybe the juice of your lot 207 repo was distilled at the same time as your lot 107 blanco, but when the repo was actually bottled out of the aging barrels, they were up to lot 207 (in general) and assigned that to the repo.

ask TequilaBob he seems to have mas info on the 1921 NOM1079

#38 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:29 PM

My brother has a few bottles of the leather strap, hand-written generation, too. Despite the seal, they seem to have lost a bit of angel's share over the years. This Reserva Especial is delicious stuff though. More like cognac than tequila.

Attached Files

#39 skinyguy

skinyguy

Newcomer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:21 PM

Im a big fan of the 1921 but never realy care the reserva found it to sweet..

but the blanco is amazing..

#40 JLH3

JLH3

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:50 PM

1921's Repo may be my favorite repo.