• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

saw someone posting a question on tequilabob23´s webiste about this particular issue. anybody have anything to add in regards to Importers & Lot #s for the 1921 NOM1079 repos & reserva especials? I guess it´s safe to assume the Lot #s are the same as the blancos? cheers

http://www.tequilatr...or-1921-part-1/

#2 ballard

ballard

Knight of the Blue Agave

• Agave friends
  • 863 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Really enjoyed reading his articles. I knew to look for leather straps, but didn't realize 2nd gen would be so easy to identify (hand written bottle number on the shoulder label).

bda

#3 JohnnyBoots

JohnnyBoots

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

I'll check mine tonight, apparently we're starting an election night tradition of pouring 1079 1921's...thanks lip.

I have Lot 5's (I believe) of both blanco and repo. Dont have any reserva's though.

#4 JohnnyBoots

JohnnyBoots

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

What the hell was I thinking? They aren't Lot 5's, they're Gen 5's. Mine had no Lot designation.

#5 Don Nom

Don Nom

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

Did you look through the bottle to the back side of the side label?

#6 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

all the Reservas & Repos NOM1079s Ive bought here in MX are machine stamped Lote 196, no pull tabs on top green & red wax with plasctic shrink wrap, no Neck Label: Secondary wrap added 1921 End of Mexican Revolution, & bubbles in the glass - am I to assume these are Gen 4s? Because tequilabob23s description of Gen 5 points out that Gen 5 had a new Secondary wrap around the neck & the glass has no bubbles....Fack I dunno... lmao

#7 Don Nom

Don Nom

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Gen 4 should have a real cork, gen 5 a synthetic cork. I think the bottles are different too, on the bottom.

#8 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Fack - this is what happens when you don't read articles properly - Speaking of lot numbers and labels, here is a quick breakdown of how each generation is marked:
"Leatherstraps: Hand numbered bottles on shoulder label (ex: 1234/6500)
Second Generation: a hand-written lot number on shoulder label (ex: 80)
Third & Fourth Generation: Machine stamped lot number on shoulder label (ex: 97) and inside of side labels (seen by looking through bottle) Some labels include the production month and year
Fifth Generation: Lot number included on inside of bottle, but no longer on shoulder label
Sixth Generation: Machine coded production stamp on bottle"...

Just opened a bottle & it's real cork - and like tequilabob23 stated the Lot# is stamped on shoulder and inside of side label therefore these must be Gen 4. Anyways great stuff may have to go swoop the rest up!

#9 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

.. anyone able to share photos of earlier versions of the Repos & Reservas?

#10 TequilaPicker

TequilaPicker

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

Here are several pictures of my 1921 repo, 2nd generation, lote 128. I'd like to have a 2nd gen blanco and a reserva, if anyone is interested in selling or trading...

Attached Files

Edited by TequilaPicker, 27 November 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#11 tequilabob23

tequilabob23

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

Chiming in a bit late on this thread... Had an extended conversaion with another 1921 fan in the last 2 weeks and he noted a couple of other things that I had not included in my description on the website. First, I'd like to note that my break down of what I've called the diferent "generations" of these bottles only applies to the blancos. While I think it's pretty consistent, I don't want to assume it also applies to the repos and Reserva Especials. Nor should it be assumed it is perfect. For example, it appears that there's also a "Generation 1.5" bottle. This is basically a leatherstrap bottle without the actual leatherstrap. Still a Water Street with dull wax and a real cork, but no plastic wrap around the wax. The LOTE Number also appears to be machine stamped, but is larger type than the Gen3+ stamps. The additional tell-tale signs are that the text on the back of the bottle is black instead of white, and that the base wrap-around label says "stonemilled" on the back. I have a repo and a reserva especial that fit this description. I've seen photos of blancos. I hope to update the website this month to include this updated info. And thanks to those that have read the 1921 posts and referred to the site - it's much appreciated!

#12 *45*

*45*

Transcendent Agave Master

• 1,834 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

I had no idea that the back label said "stone milled" O_O

#13 tequilabob23

tequilabob23

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

To be more precise, "STONEMILLED, LIMITED PRODUCTION" Here's a pic...

Posted Image

#14 morse

morse

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

did not know about the stonemilled labeling. here's a non-leather strap res. esp.

Attached File  IMG_1231.jpg   89.1KB   57 downloads

Attached Files

• Tequila4me likes this

#15 TequilaPicker

TequilaPicker

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Hummmm...I wonder how many non-leather strap 1st gen bottles I passed on thinking they were 3rd gen's???
  • Tequila4me likes this

#16 TequilaPicker

TequilaPicker

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Nice bottle you have there Morse!

#17 Tequila4me

Tequila4me

• Agave friends
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

hopefully not that many! On a side note, I've yet got to come across a LS reposado! If anyone has an extra and is willing to sell or trade, please let me know I would like to complete my set of 1921 LS

#18 PaulG

PaulG

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hummmm...I wonder how many non-leather strap 1st gen bottles I passed on thinking they were 3rd gen's???

I'm not sure I would pass, on 1079 bottles unless you don't like the juice or the price was crazy.

#19 tequilabob23

tequilabob23

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

I agree PaulG! And thanks for the heads-up and insight into the "Stonemilled" identifier.

#20 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

To be more precise, "STONEMILLED, LIMITED PRODUCTION" Here's a pic...

Posted Image

thanks for sharing all your info on 1921 NOM1079 - def don't pass on these when I see them - found a stash down here for $20 a piece (repo & reserva)

#21 Los Altos

Los Altos

• Agave friends
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

I had no idea that the back label said "stone milled" O_O

Yeah, the Oro Azul round bottles had the picture of the tahona on the back, and the LS had Stonemilled. Remember we used to joke about that during our BAT visit at 1079 because it was physically impossible (at the time) for the tahona to make a complete rotation around the pit.

#22 Los Altos

Los Altos

• Agave friends
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

Chiming in a bit late on this thread... Had an extended conversaion with another 1921 fan in the last 2 weeks and he noted a couple of other things that I had not included in my description on the website. First, I'd like to note that my break down of what I've called the diferent "generations" of these bottles only applies to the blancos. While I think it's pretty consistent, I don't want to assume it also applies to the repos and Reserva Especials. Nor should it be assumed it is perfect. For example, it appears that there's also a "Generation 1.5" bottle. This is basically a leatherstrap bottle without the actual leatherstrap. Still a Water Street with dull wax and a real cork, but no plastic wrap around the wax. The LOTE Number also appears to be machine stamped, but is larger type than the Gen3+ stamps. The additional tell-tale signs are that the text on the back of the bottle is black instead of white, and that the base wrap-around label says "stonemilled" on the back. I have a repo and a reserva especial that fit this description. I've seen photos of blancos. I hope to update the website this month to include this updated info. And thanks to those that have read the 1921 posts and referred to the site - it's much appreciated!

Original WS had two versions of the repo and three of the reserva. First version of the repo was the LS, second was non-LS/different bottle. Second version of original WS repo had stamped number. The reserva had a LS, non LS, and a different bottle, the latter two had the same juice and the number was hand written (although Morse's may be stamped?). Third gen was San Jose, then fourth gen back to water street. Also, between 1st/2nd versions of the original WS the reserva started using newer barrels and the color got darker.

Edit: I have both printed and stamped versions of of original WS Reserva non LS.

As far as the blanco goes, I've only seen one version of the original WS, so San Jose may be second gen for the blanco.

#23 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Yeah, the Oro Azul round bottles had the picture of the tahona on the back, and the LS had Stonemilled. Remember we used to joke about that during our BAT visit at 1079 because it was physically impossible (at the time) for the tahona to make a complete rotation around the pit.

curious about this story - was something impeding the Tahona? or did it look like more for show than operating? anyone have photos of this distillery?

#24 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

curious about this story - was something impeding the Tahona? or did it look like more for show than operating? anyone have photos of this distillery?

https://www.facebook...&type=3

#25 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

https://www.facebook...&type=3

This content is currently unavailable.The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

#26 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:48 AM

This content is currently unavailable.The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Ah, sorry. I'll post the pic by weeks end.

#27 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Ah, sorry. I'll post the pic by weeks end.

That'd be awesome *45* thanks!!

#28 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

So, as you can see, there is a metal post that is holding up the conveyor belt that moves the agaves from the oven to the shredder, and it is way of anything pulling the tahona all the way around the pit. when they demoed the tahona (and by the amount of agave in the pit, you can see it was just demonstration time), the tractor just went back and forth a couple of times.

Attached Files

#29 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

weird... Yeah this set-up would be totally "counter-productive" to say the least... Head scratch

thanks again for sharing *45*

#30 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

weird... Yeah this set-up would be totally "counter-productive" to say the least... Head scratch

thanks again for sharing *45*

Of course :D