7 replies to this topic

#1 Patoche2

Patoche2

Newcomer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

Hi everybody,
I just come back from a year in Mexico where I drunk only Tequila and discovered Mezcal only when I came to US and saw that one of my bottles of Tequila was in fact a bottle of Mezcal... I'v spent almost 2 weeks reading about mezcal everywhere on the internet and I found this amazing forum. I was wondering with which Mezcal I should begin to really understand this product. I m in the US for some times right now and I guess after Mexico it s the best place in the world to find Mezcal. I don't think I'll find a lot in France...

Thanks a lot

Pat

#2 Patoche2

Patoche2

Newcomer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

Has anyone heard about Fandango Mezcal? It's sold by the brand Licorera del Sur who also sells vodkas from agave and other "destilados de agave"... This one is a 100% agave Mezcal though. Didn't try it yet and don't know if I should.

#3 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Never heard of it...

Lots of good info in the forums, I would start with Del Maguey mezcals. Any of them are varing degrees of excellent and they are the god fathers of boutique mezcals (not into the Creme one though myself). Even though mezcal it techniaclly older then Tequila, I consider it a young product as it is currently starting to grow especially in the boutique small batch higher quality brands. Start with 100% agave for sure and rule of thumb for me is to avoid anything with a worm in it. (there are always exceptions to any rule of course)
Where are you in the US, there are some good online shops that ship to many places.

Welcome to the forum.

#4 *45*

*45*

Transcendent Agave Master

• 1,834 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

yeah, I'd recommend the entire Del Maguey line up to get started. learn about them, then check out Fidencio, Los Siete Misterios, and Pierde Almas for a few of the nice traditional mezcals that are reaching the market.

#5 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

Del Maguey gets my vote.

#6 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

If you want something a little less pricey but still reasonable quality, try the Nolasco's San Juan Del Rio or Embajador blanco. DM Vida and Pierde Almas Puritita Verda are mid-range offerings from high-end mezcal producers, and will set you back a bit more, but are very good.

Los Danzantes/Los Nahuales also makes some fine premium mescals; with any luck their single-origin Alipus line will be available in N America soon.

Edit: soon as in now. linky

Finally, for another premium mescal suggestion, a recent favorite of mine that's on par with Pierde Almas is Manonegra. It's $50, but also 50% :t_up: .

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 09 July 2012 - 02:59 PM.

#7 RobinMills

RobinMills

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

Has anyone heard about Fandango Mezcal?

--------------------------------
View Our Films, Live a More Beautiful Life in Cold Case Seasons 1-7 DVD

#8 cavediver

cavediver

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Fandango Mezcal Reposado. My daughter's inlaws from Mexico City brought this to me yesterday. Almost no smoke and tastes more like a decent repo tequila.

Attached Files