• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LSR

LSR

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Sorry for the post, but Alipus Mezcal is a bit confusing for me. From what I can tell, the 4 different varieties are all made from the same plant, all sold in the same bottle with different coloured labels, all named very similar things starting with "san" or "santa", and their alcohol contents are all very similar (42-45%).

Do I have it right that the only differences are the locations where the agave is farmed and produced? If so, which one do i try first? 3 of them are from Oaxaca and one is from Miahuatlan.

Thanks for all replies!

#2 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

I have tried two of the four. The pink and black labels. I found the pink to be tasty while i did not care for the black label.

For what is worth- I do not really enjoy mezcal.

#3 gabe

gabe

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

Do I have it right that the only differences are the locations where the agave is farmed and produced? If so, which one do i try first? 3 of them are from Oaxaca and one is from Miahuatlan.

I don't know the specifics of Alipus, but if they're following Del Maguey's lead, then yes, the "only" difference would be where exactly they get the raw ingredients and who produces the drink. Don't think that this is a trivial distinction, however. The input ingredients (micro climate, age/ripeness, etc) and the way they are transformed into alcohol are what distinguish any spirit from another spirit in the same category!

I would say expect some similarity in terms of flavor profile and overall quality level if they are being marketed under the same brand, but also expect very noticeable differences between them. Pick one at random, try it, and report back! :t_up:

#4 LSR

LSR

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

I don't know the specifics of Alipus, but if they're following Del Maguey's lead, then yes, the "only" difference would be where exactly they get the raw ingredients and who produces the drink. Don't think that this is a trivial distinction, however. The input ingredients (micro climate, age/ripeness, etc) and the way they are transformed into alcohol are what distinguish any spirit from another spirit in the same category! I would say expect some similarity in terms of flavor profile and overall quality level if they are being marketed under the same brand, but also expect very noticeable differences between them. Pick one at random, try it, and report back! :t_up:

I picked up the Alipus San Baltazar for 289 MX pesos. It has an interesting sweet first taste, I'll report later after drinking some more.

I find the tasting notes on the Alipus website to be funny translated literal: SAVORED: This mezcal is distinguished for aromas of nail polish remover and green grass. In flavors sweet (slight tone to coconut) fruits then delicate in spices that take to a lightly bitter end and retrogusto to mud.

I'm pretty sure I don't taste nail polish remover :)

Also picked up a 1 litre of 7 Leguas reposado for 319 MX pesos. Looking forward to cracking that open!

#5 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

After sampling the San Juan (black) and the San Andres (not sure on the label color), I found the latter to have a slight solvent aroma, though I wouldn't go as far as nail polish. It also has an interesting earthy, compost note, and a wet ash aftertaste as part of the smoke component. There is also an olive brine sort of bitterness, but it's not distracting. The San Juan is very pleasant, with a bit of earthy, clay like character, and the classic Espadin green agave. Just a hint of Nicoise olive astringency takes over after the initial sweetness. I love the fact that these are so different with such similar specs otherwise. Big, numbing lip buzz on both. Both are far more interesting than most Blancos I've tried.

Thanks Don Pablo for your generosity! I will savor these rarities to the last drops.

#6 LSR

LSR

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

numbing lip buzz, that is great way to put it. I find it totally refreshes my mouth when I'm done, almost like having some sorbet during a tasting menu to refresh the palate. After about a minute or so I find little to no aftertaste either.

#7 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

Recent Christmas visit with fiance in Mexico,I purchased 2 bottles of Alipús Mezcal San Juan Joven at Liverpool Mexico, and at some different locations I was able to find 2 round bottles of 2001 Centinela Repo, 1 round bottle of 2001 Centinela Tres Años Anejo (<---- thanks Gabe & Lippy for that treaure bottle recommendation) and 1 bottle of 7L D'Antano XA. Well, almost finished with 1 bottle of Alipus San Juan and love it. For the price $285 MX pesos this is a steal as compared to the Del Magueys, Pierde Almas(s) etc. Some scorched earth (peaty) on the palate with some kind of nut flavours, then a little sweetness with a slight alcohol burn. The smell is smokey, floral & sweet. Great stuff IMHO

#8 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

Alipus is now available for online purchase from Caddell & Williams. Go here and scroll down to their Mezcal collection. They carry the San Andres, San Baltazar and San Juan del Rio, $48 each. A lot more than it is in Mexico, but cheaper than a plane ticket.

They also have the #3 and #4 Mezcalero releases, which are pricy but excellent. (At least #2 was. I haven't tried the latest bottlings.)

#9 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

good friend from Mexico DF brought me a bottle of Alipus Edición Especíal 2011 San Andrés. She bought it at Los danzantes in the part of the Mexico City called,Coyoacán. What a treat - 14% madrecuishe 22% bicuishe silvestre 64% espadín - up there in complexity with the Del Magueys IMHO

#10 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

Finally got a chance to taste Alipus. I think I had the San Juan (black label), but I'm not certain. Very impressed.

#11 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

Finally got a chance to taste Alipus. I think I had the San Juan (black label), but I'm not certain. Very impressed.

Totally agree Gabe! That is the only Alipus variety (San Juan-Black label) available here in Culiacán & for like $20USD - it's a bargain IMHO cheers

#12 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

San Baltazar (purple) :t_up: :t_up:
Sta Ana del Rio (green) :t_up:
San Juan (black) :huh:
Sn Andres (pink) :wacko:

I am referring to the color of the larger, lower label. The San Juan I don't have open -- I am going off memory from a shot in a bar/restaurant in San José del Cabo. The rest are within reach, competing for my attention. :buried:

#13 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:29 AM

Love your tasting notes dP! :D

#14 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

San Baltazar (purple) :t_up: :t_up:
Sta Ana del Rio (green) :t_up:
San Juan (black) :huh:
Sn Andres (pink) :wacko:

I am referring to the color of the larger, lower label. The San Juan I don't have open -- I am going off memory from a shot in a bar/restaurant in San José del Cabo. The rest are within reach, competing for my attention. :buried:

so far each year there is an Alipus Edicion Especial release - the first release was 2011 from Sn Andres (blend of 3 different magueys) and was worth the $500 pesos

#15 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

I need to be where you are. Between the Alipus special editions and the 7LD'A at 1100 pesos, you have it pretty good. Maybe I need to bring some good bourbons down for you?

Haven't see the Alipus special editions, but see the Arte Mezcal yearly releases, and those are cool. (Full disclosure: I haven't tasted the ones I have purchased yet...)

#16 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

I need to be where you are. Between the Alipus special editions and the 7LD'A at 1100 pesos, you have it pretty good. Maybe I need to bring some good bourbons down for you?

Haven't see the Alipus special editions, but see the Arte Mezcal yearly releases, and those are cool. (Full disclosure: I haven't tasted the ones I have purchased yet...)

well to be honest friend brought the Alipus Edicion Especial 2011 San Andres from the Los Danzantes in Coyoacan,MX DF,MX (great place btw) - my fave is the black label San Juan so far at the $280MX peso price

http://losdanzantes....pus-san-andres/

#17 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Finally did a side-by-side of three Alipus at Las Perlas in dt LA.

Sn Andrews (pink): More "traditional" tasting, earthy, bitter. Okay, but nothing special.
San Juan (black): Sweet, velvety. Very good, though perhaps more of a "dessert" mezcal?
San Baltazar (purple): in between the prev two. Sweeter front, with a more earthy finish. More of a raw/vegetal flavor.

Al l three were good, and surprisingly smooth given >80 proof. Not sure if I like the San Juan or San Baltazar better. Don't think I like any of them better than the Del Magueys.

After this, I had a pour of Wahaka Tobala (fine, but thin and not very interesting) and Mezcal Joya Azul (not very good imo).

Finally, the bartender gave me a small pour of Mezcalero San Juan del Rio in a Del Maguey clay cup. Wow!! I've had this before, but this time the earthy complexity really jumped out, much different than the previous five mezcals. (It reminded me of tasty OAME blanco.)

By the end, I was left wondering if the new crop of mezcals are missing something in terms of complexity and earthiness. More research is needed. :D

#18 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Finally did a side-by-side of three Alipus at Las Perlas in dt LA.

Sn Andrews (pink): More "traditional" tasting, earthy, bitter. Okay, but nothing special.
San Juan (black): Sweet, velvety. Very good, though perhaps more of a "dessert" mezcal?
San Baltazar (purple): in between the prev two. Sweeter front, with a more earthy finish. More of a raw/vegetal flavor.

Al l three were good, and surprisingly smooth given >80 proof. Not sure if I like the San Juan or San Baltazar better. Don't think I like any of them better than the Del Magueys.

After this, I had a pour of Wahaka Tobala (fine, but thin and not very interesting) and Mezcal Joya Azul (not very good imo).

Finally, the bartender gave me a small pour of Mezcalero San Juan del Rio in a Del Maguey clay cup. Wow!! I've had this before, but this time the earthy complexity really jumped out, much different than the previous five mezcals. (It reminded me of tasty OAME blanco.)

By the end, I was left wondering if the new crop of mezcals are missing something in terms of complexity and earthiness. More research is needed. :D

nice notes on the Alipus Gabe! is the Santa Ana del Rio (green label) not available in the US? Try to find a Alipus Edicion Especial ! Looks like DelMaguey is slowly releasing 3 new offerings from it Vino De Mezcal Series:Tobasiche,Papalometl, & Tepeztate