84 replies to this topic

#31 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 596 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

A picture of the mezcal haul. Does not include tequilas or duplicates. :P

I can't figure out putting smaller photos in there, so won't include the individual photos. Of note: the Arte comprises Tepaztate, Espadin, and Azul agaves; the Reliquia Pechuga 1L does not seem to be a traditional pechuga (and has a big chunk of agave in the bottle); and the Danzantes Pechuga is Lote 001 (and is red from Cochineal insects).

Posted Image

don Pablo where did you find the los Danzantes Pechuga? cheers

#32 don Pablo

don Pablo

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

don Pablo where did you find the los Danzantes Pechuga? cheers

That's an easy one: Europea. Specifically, the one in San José del Cabo -- but I think they likely had them in the Cabo San Lucas locations as well.

#33 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

No, I'll bet the LD pechuga is amazing, though I doubt the cochineal itself adds anything beyond color. Perhaps dP will honor us with a review?

Oh man -- I have failed to taste this as yet. Will get to it, I promise. :buried: Also have El Buho to get to, and a couple more bottles. Mezcal of choice lately has been Fidencio Clasico (not the sin humo one, I don't see the point in that).

Also have several mezcals to sample at NW Tequila Fest in a couple of weeks here, including the Wahaka line.

I need to get more focused! :P

#34 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Also have several mezcals to sample at NW Tequila Fest in a couple of weeks here, including the Wahaka line.

When exactly is the Fest? I may be Northbound soon.

#35 SeattleJuan

SeattleJuan

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

When exactly is the Fest? I may be Northbound soon.

Saturday Aug. 18th

#36 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

Got El Buho delivered a week ago, and tried that. It's good. :t_up: I'd say it's no-frills, with the desirable mezcal characteristics (smoky, etc.) but nothing overwhelming/overpowering (or off-putting). Kind of a staple in that regard, and something that I will likely use as the first mezcal drink of the evening. Also something I'd use an introduction for people who haven't tried mezcal yet.

As always, I felt the need to compare it to something else, and Del Maguey Vida came to mind. I liked the El Buho a bit better, and it's cheaper, so more likely to be reordered first.

Cool looking bottle too, and I had a relative over on the weekend who took this photograph. The shotglass is from an Arte Mezcal set I picked up a while ago. Could use more of those glasses, if anyone knows where to get them. I have a better photo of that glass, but I hate this damned site for loading pictures -- it only ever lets me load one, and then it doesn't work for an extended period of time. :fire:

Posted Image

#37 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

dP- Those glasses are taken from candles... or so I was told last night at an event where Tosba Mezcal had similar glasses... I hope this helps.

#38 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

dP- Those glasses are taken from candles... or so I was told last night at an event where Tosba Mezcal had similar glasses... I hope this helps.

Interesting, thanks -- that does help. :t_up:

At the Northwest TequilaFest I tried several mezcals:
  • The full line of Wahaka, which I really enjoyed. Will order the Madre Cuishe when I can find it.
  • Del Maguey Pechuga, the only one of their standard offerings that I hadn't tried. Liked it, but not at ~$200 for a bottle. Fun talking to Ron Cooper though, who made it to the event.
  • Agave de Cortes XA. Interesting, just struggling to think of when I would drink it.
  • Los Amantes joven -- didn't work for me, for some reason. May give it a second chance some other time, when I am not on sensory overload.

#39 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:36 AM

El Buho on ice: ease into the weekend
Fidencio Clasico: kick it up a notch
Wahaka Joven, Reposado, and Ensamble at La Luna: prefer the Tobala and Madre Cuishe (from memory)
Fidencio Madrequixhe (sp?) at Mezcaleria Oaxaca: not sure what to think about this
Los Nahuales Pechuga back home: won't say just yet, so I don't bias a few folks coming over on Wednesday

All for tonight
  • SeattleJuan likes this

#40 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

Nice summary! I'm enjoying El Buho vs. Fidencio Clasico as well, and I agree with you completely; good, and better. Though I do think enough of Buho not to put it on ice :horror: . Now you've got me intrigued by this Wahaka Madre Cuishe.

#41 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 617 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

I just returned from a trip to Oaxaca, where I was fortunate enough to try a pletora of good-tasting mezcals. I tried some mezcals that were made by no-name palenqueros to well-known [pierde almas, del maguey]. I even tried [and bought a one-liter bottle for ~$20] of still strength mezcal, or as it's known there: "de punta;" this was surprisingly easy to drink. Alas, I dropped the sealed bottle and it broke. :cry:

One lesser known brand that I tried and really liked was "El Golpe." I bought a fifth for ~$10; it is a tobala and it has 50% abv... very tasty.

I was also looking for the candle holders. I stopped at a small convenience store and was surprised that they had the glasses there, with the "poured" wax... I look at the bottom of the glass and it has a small cross with "pierde almas" embossed right below. Now, I don't know if the mezcal brand came first, or if they were inspired by these candles. These glasses, btw, are known as "vaso de cruz." I ended up finding a place that sold mostly glass-ware and bought four for roughly a dollar.

A really nice gesture happened to me when I stopped to have lunch. It was ridiculously inexpensive (~$4 with a beer). I left a ~$1.50 tip and was getting ready lo leave when the waiter asked me if I'd like a mezcal to help digest the meal. I asked: how much? He replies: on the house. He brings me a most delicious espadin that purported to have 50% abv. I asked him if i could buy a bottle. He said that they were on their last bottle and that the guy who made it lived high in the Sierras and that only came to the restaurant once a week. Oh well.

For those of you who really enjoy mezcal, I highly recommend a trip to this mecca of the smoky juice. It is well worth the price of admission.

#42 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

For those of you who really enjoy mezcal, I highly recommend a trip to this mecca of the smoky juice. It is well worth the price of admission.

Must. Make. This. Happen. Sounds glorious -- thanks for the mouthwatering report! :t_up: :t_up: :t_up:

Here is the glass I have. A bit hard to see, but it has the cross, but not "pierde almas". Your sound cooler. :icon_mrgreen:

Posted Image

Oh, revisiting Los Nahuales Pechuga. Did not initially like it fresh out of the bottle, and after a long night of drinking other mezcals. Under tonight's conditions, I think it's fine. Nothing special, and I don't like the mouth feel (or color), but drinkable.

#43 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 617 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

Here's a not-so-good picture of the glasses.

Posted Image

I bought two of the candles [the ones with "pierde almas"] and four of the "regular" ones. You're welcome to have them next time you're in the LA area.

#44 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:57 AM

I bought two of the candles [the ones with "pierde almas"] and four of the "regular" ones. You're welcome to have them next time you're in the LA area.

You are far too kind, amigo. And while that is good incentive for getting back to LA, I think I am even more motivated to do one of your trips to Oaxaca. Everything about your journey sounds appealing...

#45 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

Had a fantastic mescal last night in a restaurant in Cabo. Mezcaloteca. Vaguely remember seeing their website at some point. The one I had comprised four different agave varietals, but I don't remember which ones. I think I took a photo though. Had a pronounced wet clay taste that was familiar from one of the Alipus mezcals. Tasty .

#46 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

El Peleton de la Muerte. Big, full mezcal for just 82 proof. Recommended.

#47 Tequila4me

Tequila4me

• Agave friends
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

I need to start trying more Mezcal brands! As a matter of fact, That would be 1 of my New Years resolutions :) Now DP, where are you getting all of your Mezcales at????? <_<

#48 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Last night tried Pierde Almas Pechuga and Tobala. Prefer the Tobala. These and the Mezcaloteca were tried at restaurante Mi Casa in San Jose del Cabo, where it pays to spend some time with the heavy-handed bartender. The Peleton was purchased from Europea in San Jose.

#49 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

I need to start trying more Mezcal brands! As a matter of fact, That would be 1 of my New Years resolutions :) Now DP, where are you getting all of your Mezcales at????? <_<

a buddy just went here & says the selection was top shelf - Mezonte - Argentina 299 (Prisciliano Sánchez), Guadalajar, Jalisco, Mexico
  • Tequila4me likes this

#50 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Was at Casa Mezcal in NYC last week and tried a few mezcals.  Enjoyed Banhez quite a bit.  Then had the bartender dig out the Siete Misterios from the back of showcase shelf. Really liked that one!  Also had a quick taste of Jolgorio Pechuga -- which didn't jump out at me, but wasn't off-putting like a couple of other pechugas I have tasted.

#51 *45*

*45*

• 1,831 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:45 AM

Yeah, I've been diggin' Los Siete Misterios since I tasted it about a year and a half ago. Had the Espadin and Tobala back then, but was stoked to taste a few new varieties this past March in DF!

#52 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:01 AM

I really like the montelobos blanco I had last week at a bar in SF. There was a nice bbq smoke and then a gentle sweetness with some vanilla in there. Delicious but maybe geared for americans? (i am one)

#53 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:25 AM

I really like the montelobos blanco I had last week at a bar in SF. There was a nice bbq smoke and then a gentle sweetness with some vanilla in there. Delicious but maybe geared for americans? (i am one)

Apparently owned by William Grant so dunno if this is a negative.... not as bad as Coca-Cola bottler - Femsa Mexico being involved with Casa AGP and Zignum....

#54 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:51 AM

Zignum rum? Ouch. Well rum and coke right ?

#55 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:00 AM

I could see montelobos being the milagro silver of mezcal. The reserva silver tho

#56 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:04 AM

I have been drinking treasure cn and chinaco, and i have to say that Old CN blanco trumps old Chinaco blanco. This old CN is soooo different from the newer "gimmicky" very vegetal newer CN profile. It is sweet and perfect. I need more!

#57 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Zignum rum? Ouch. Well rum and coke right ?

no Femsa Mexico is somehow involved (not ownership) with Casa AGP's Zignum mezcal - mass produced industrial diffuser stuff

#58 *45*

*45*

• 1,831 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

I have been drinking treasure cn and chinaco, and i have to say that Old CN blanco trumps old Chinaco blanco. This old CN is soooo different from the newer "gimmicky" very vegetal newer CN profile. It is sweet and perfect. I need more!

How is CN blanco "gimmicky"? O_o

#59 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

Wrong word but i this it has this very distinct flavor that i associate with newer cn that is definately not in the older blanco. Dont kill me!

#60 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

Mezcal Vago Tobala - this is VERY enjoyable. cant wait to try the whole line. esp that Elote