83 replies to this topic

#1 don Pablo

don Pablo

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:38 PM

Hey -- thanks for asking!

The gardener came by so I broke out some San Juan del Rio. (Thanks for the hookup on that bottle, *45*!) He said that was nearby where his family makes mezcal. The picture on the bottle and the taste of it were both familiar to him.

One thing lead to another, as they say, and I ended up trying a few more. From the San Juan, to the gardener's home-brew, to Pierde Almas Espadin, to Alipus San Baltazar. All excellent. :t_up: I pushed my luck and I cracked an Alipus Sn Andres, and things went sideways. Not sure what to make of this stuff -- might have to send a sample or two out for analysis. :blink:

#2 *45*

*45*

• 1,810 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:31 AM

Hey -- thanks for asking!...All excellent. :t_up: I pushed my luck and I cracked an Alipus Sn Andres, and things went sideways. Not sure what to make of this stuff -- might have to send a sample or two out for analysis. :blink:

ROTFLMAO!! :lmao:

#3 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

Now drinking Los Nahuales reposado. Like it quite a bit, just wish it was a little less soft. Don't know if my tastes have changed a bit, or it used to have a bit more bite, or if there are variations of this product -- but I recall liking it a bit more in the past. Still solid though. :t_up:

Thinking I'd like to track down some Benesin at some point. Like the write-up, like the price.

Anyone out there trying the new Madrecuixe products?
  • SeattleJuan likes this

#4 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

No, but I just got my bottle of Manonegra in yesterday. I like it! 100% Espadin, 50% alc, beautiful presentation without being flashy or tacky, very slight chill haze, great perlas. Not as fumy and spicy as the Pierde Almas Espadin, but great bravado nonetheless. Gentle smoke, more on the exhale and aftertaste than anywhere, vibrant agave flavors, lots of brassy, copper penny flavor (a bit off-putting for me, since that's one of my least favorite yet still within the realm of authentic mezcal characters) but overall I'm very impressed, even with the $52 price tag. Got it from Astor in NY. Maybe just a hair below the PA, which to me is still reigning Espadin champion.

:cheers: I'll send some out to you if you are interested, dP.

You'll like Benesin, though your gardener may say "agua" - Nolasco's San Luis del Rio is definitely higher octane.

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 24 January 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#5 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

You'll like Benesin, though your gardener may say "agua" - Nolasco's San Luis del Rio is definitely higher octane.

Nice. :P And thanks for the offer, though I think I will just buy a bottle at some point (since it sounds like I will enjoy it) -- so I should be good.

I flash tasted a bunch of mezcals last night. Some worked better than others. One tasted like licking a boot that had been removed from a cow's a**. I took it all to mean that mezcals just weren't hitting the spot that night. Oddly, I have had a similar experience with blanco tequilas of late too. But as *45* reminded me, I was lamenting this time last year that agave products don't seem to work well up here in the winters.

Now, where is the "what rye whiskey are you drinking now" thread.....? :blink:

#6 *45*

*45*

• 1,810 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:12 AM

I flash tasted a bunch of mezcals last night. Some worked better than others. One tasted like licking a boot that had been removed from a cow's a**. I took it all to mean that mezcals just weren't hitting the spot that night. Oddly, I have had a similar experience with blanco tequilas of late too. But as *45* reminded me, I was lamenting this time last year that agave products don't seem to work well up here in the winters.

I think you need to bust out some Denton era Chinaco señor!

Now, where is the "what rye whiskey are you drinking now" thread.....? :blink:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

#7 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

At Cantina Mayahuel in San Diego:

Semillero: great for the price, but too soft for my mezcal moods
Wahaka (sp?) tobala -- tried this because they were out of Pierde Almas: nice!
Benesin: hard for me to describe, but I liked it, and will be trying to find a bottle.

#8 La.Casa.de.Tequilas

La.Casa.de.Tequilas

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:02 AM

Wahaka (sp?) tobala -- tried this because they were out of Pierde Almas: nice!

I tried this Wahaka at SoM and I must say it was really good. I can not wait until it is available for sale here in Nor Cal.

Edited by La.Casa.de.Tequilas, 01 March 2012 - 03:03 AM.

#9 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

http://www.wahakamez...m/where-to-buy/

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 01 March 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#10 LSR

LSR

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

Tried Zignum 7 Joven yesterday and was decided it was not for me. I agree with others on here that it is not really for people who enjoy traditional tasting mezcal, but might be enjoyed by others who like the odd tequila and want to branch out to try a "mild" mezcal.

On a side note, I've been in touch with a gentleman who's family makes a very traditional mezcal here and currently has a batch of Tobala mezcal for a very reasonable price. I'm going to order some tomorrow and give a report when it arrives and I've tasted it. Can't wait!!!

#11 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Now drinking Los Nahuales reposado. Like it quite a bit, just wish it was a little less soft. Don't know if my tastes have changed a bit, or it used to have a bit more bite, or if there are variations of this product -- but I recall liking it a bit more in the past. Still solid though. :t_up:

Thinking I'd like to track down some Benesin at some point. Like the write-up, like the price.

Anyone out there trying the new Madrecuixe products?

Maybe the more botanically gifted among you knew this already, but comparing the Fidencio Madrecuixe (or cuishe, as some spell it) and the Pierde Almas Tobaziche has led me to the discovery that they are the same variety of agave: a spindly little wild "silvestre" plant called Karwinskii. Apparently these guys can't be raised in captivity, thus the high price demanded for their juice.

Attached File  karwinskii.jpg   18.52KB   5 downloads
Attached File  pinas.jpg   16.63KB   5 downloads

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 08 March 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#12 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

Finally cracked my Enmascarado *45*. It was awful. Made me think of the Rammstein song "Benzin". :guitar: I have no idea what they say in that song, but the rhyming words are kerosene, turpentine, gasoline and things of that nature.

Thankfully, SeattleJuan cracked Pierde Almas Tobala (very good) and Mano Negra (very good), and had several other nice mezcals (and tequilas) on hand. :t_up: :t_up:

#13 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

Last week, Los Danzantes añejo Lote 002. So delicious. Purchased a recent añejo while down there (and a Pechuga), but do NOT expect it to stack up to this beauty.

Now that I have got photos sorted out -- the floodgates may open. Tasted and purchased a LOT of good mezcals down there -- labeled and otherwise.

Posted Image

#14 SeattleJuan

SeattleJuan

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

Seems I owe you a visit dP. I have some Los Nahuales reposado (open) and a Scorpion 1 year añejo (soon to be open). Not lote 002, but definitely servicable.

Edit to add......Did you ever find a Benesin? I have a reposado that isn't opened. I know, more temptation.

Edited by SeattleJuan, 28 April 2012 - 12:48 AM.

#15 PaulG

PaulG

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:18 AM

Last week, Los Danzantes añejo Lote 002. So delicious. Purchased a recent añejo while down there (and a Pechuga), but do NOT expect it to stack up to this beauty.

Now that I have got photos sorted out -- the floodgates may open. Tasted and purchased a LOT of good mezcals down there -- labeled and otherwise.

Posted Image

I know where you can get a couple Los Danzantes Repo Lote 001 !!!!!!

#16 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

Seems I owe you a visit dP. I have some Los Nahuales reposado (open) and a Scorpion 1 year añejo (soon to be open). Not lote 002, but definitely servicable.

Edit to add......Did you ever find a Benesin? I have a reposado that isn't opened. I know, more temptation.

Come on by, for sure. The haul from Los Cabos: Arte Mezcal liter bottle (three different magueys, the stuff that leaked smelled and tasted great), the two Alipus versions I didn't already have (black and green labels, too lazy to look up the names), Los Danzantes añejo and pechuga (a disturbing red color), and "farmer's market" pechuga and tobala. The pechuga is fairly pedestrian, but at $15 a liter, pretty good. The tobala is absolutely bursting! The guy only had 250 ml bottles (unmarked) of that -- at $7 -- and I only attempted bringing one back. Will bring an empty liter bottle down next time... :lightbulb:

Never did pick up a Benesin -- may need to try harder some day -- but would welcome a taste in the meantime. :t_up:

Oh, and yeah, I am hopeful of getting some of that Lote 001 Los Danzantes repo "down the road".... B)

#17 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Skipped out of the Thursday night art walk in San José and ducked into Salsitas and had a sampler of Leyendas de Mezcales. Pretty great country when you can sit at the bar with your 5-year old (who would rather be on the iPod than look at art). Anyway, the Oaxaca version was good (and familiar), the versions from the other two states were odd, and borderline unsettling. Will revisit when I go back. BTW, and maybe I should start another thread, but Pierde Almas was less than $40 down there. But harder to pack, and they only had Dobadaan (which I have) and Espadin (which I recall Guy saying was indistinguishable from Dobadaan).

Posted Image

#18 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

A picture of the mezcal haul. Does not include tequilas or duplicates. :P

I can't figure out putting smaller photos in there, so won't include the individual photos. Of note: the Arte comprises Tepaztate, Espadin, and Azul agaves; the Reliquia Pechuga 1L does not seem to be a traditional pechuga (and has a big chunk of agave in the bottle); and the Danzantes Pechuga is Lote 001 (and is red from Cochineal insects).

Posted Image
  • SeattleJuan likes this

#19 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Wild! Los Danzantes with cochineal. I found this photo blog that talks about the Danzantes distillation process:
http://eltakeiteasy....tillery-oaxaca/
I hope they are correct and that Alipus will make its way stateside next summer.

#20 *45*

*45*

• 1,810 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

awesome link, gracias! :drink:

#21 Tequila4me

Tequila4me

• Agave friends
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

Yeah, Thanks for the link.....pretty cool with pictures and descriptions!!!

#22 Adam

Adam

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

Just got back from Cabo and got one of the Lot 1 Los Danzantes Pechuga. Also
got a Lot 1 Los Danzantes blue agave variety. Don't know wether to try these
now or save them for something special later on. I have managed to get all 6 LD
products ( see picture ). Second from left is their tobala. Was in Oaxaca in
2008 and they had just released this. I went to their shop, La Cava, and got 3
of the 560 bottles from that lot, lot 3. Drank one ( it was great ) and still
have the other 2.

Attached Files

• Attached File  LD.JPG   213.26KB   19 downloads

#23 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

Adam, good to hear from you...

#24 totallytequila

totallytequila

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

Wild! Los Danzantes with cochineal. I found this photo blog that talks about the Danzantes distillation process:
http://eltakeiteasy....tillery-oaxaca/
I hope they are correct and that Alipus will make its way stateside next summer.

Hey Guy....have you had a chance to sample the Los Danzantes con cochineal? That is one I would like to try! Salud!

#25 Patoche2

Patoche2

Newcomer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

A picture of the mezcal haul. Does not include tequilas or duplicates. :P

I can't figure out putting smaller photos in there, so won't include the individual photos. Of note: the Arte comprises Tepaztate, Espadin, and Azul agaves; the Reliquia Pechuga 1L does not seem to be a traditional pechuga

any idea for the price of the Reliquia Pechuga bottle??

#26 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:44 AM

any idea for the price of the Reliquia Pechuga bottle??

190 pesos. Paid 200 and got a bag of worm salt included. I drive a hard bargain. If $15 seems like a lot, remember it's a 1L bottle. :lmao:

Tried the green label Alipus a couple of nights ago -- really good. Like it way better than the Sn Andres. Would have to do a side-by-side with the Baltazar to pick a winner out of those. Haven't cracked the black label yet.

#27 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

Hey Guy....have you had a chance to sample the Los Danzantes con cochineal? That is one I would like to try! Salud!

No, I'll bet the LD pechuga is amazing, though I doubt the cochineal itself adds anything beyond color. Perhaps dP will honor us with a review?

#28 totallytequila

totallytequila

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

No, I'll bet the LD pechuga is amazing, though I doubt the cochineal itself adds anything beyond color. Perhaps dP will honor us with a review?

Yeah I'm sure your right about the all color/no flavor factor using the cochineal insect. I was aware of only one other agave spirit that uses the cochineal, and that is El Mante's Passion tequila. That is classified as a "Blanco Rosas". Are there any other mezcals out there besides LD that you are aware of, that uses the cochineal? Also Don Pablo...if you do have a chance to sample that LD con cochineal, would you be so kind as to let us know your thoughts?

#29 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

Perhaps dP will honor us with a review?

Thank you (and tt) for the motivation. Will get to it and post in the next 2-3 weeks.

Anyone try the LD blue agave product? And what on earth gives it that blue color? Some weird insect, or a chemical from New Jersey? Was running short on luggage space or would have picked that one up too. Next time, for sure (unless someone posts that it's awful). Kind of hoping that it's the best of both worlds.

#30 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

Blue-colored mezcal? Like Windex? Sounds sketchy for internal use.

I hope to be reporting soon on some recent purchases:

Fidencio Clasico
El Buho
Peleton de la Muerte

Oh, found this guide to recognizing and appreciating a traditional mezcal.

1. Look on the label the words "100% agave", which means it is made ​​only of Maguey.
2. Its alcohol content should be at least 45% alc. And Up Vol.
3. The label must state population and Edo. of origin, type of maguey and mezcal master's name
4.Agita the bottle to see the pearl, if not many bubbles are observed, do not buy, unless it is a mezcal 55 or more degrees, in this case only form pearls while you stir.
5. Do not buy mezcal reposado and aged in barrels (recognizable by their color amber): wood destroying their finest flavors and aromas.
6. Rub between your hands a drop of mezcal to evaporate it, smell like cooked maguey.
7. Taste of mezcal in gourd gourd or beaker.
8. Pour the drink in one case to another to see the Pearl remembers the point 4.
9. Smell the mezcal before taking it. Find the fragrance you perceived by rubbing his hands, then find different ones. As you breathe in, close the mouth and proceeds to entreábrela recognize the smell, you'll notice the difference.
10. Take a sip and rinse your mouth 10 seconds without swallowing. let out fumes through the nose. Eat it and serves the flavors on your palate.
11. Take another sip, pass 10 seconds by mouth and savor it before swallowing. Tastes perceived returning from your stomach are the finest and most exquisite of mezcal. After a few minutes, your palate will be full of the cooked agave

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 05 July 2012 - 12:04 PM.