12 replies to this topic

#1 enrique101

enrique101

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

i was wondering if there is any way to tell a white label in mexico since they still use the same labels down here i seen a lit. bottle of anejo but i need some help to distinguish them if possible because its an old store and it seems they havent sold them in a while

#2 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 617 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

The only way is to look at the *inkjet* lot stamp... however, the old WLs did not have lot numbers stamped, rather- they had stickers with the name of the person doing the quality control [Mexico only; USA had lot numbers in them]; they were placed at the bottom of the bottle.

WLs Lots: Blanco up to 1031, Reposado up to 1018, Anejo up to 1032... anything close to those numbers will still be pretty tasty in MNSHO. Someone else may want to chime in with regards to the lot numbers; or else, do a search and you'll find them on this forum.

#3 La.Casa.de.Tequilas

La.Casa.de.Tequilas

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

Look at the year of the tax stamp.

#4 *45*

*45*

Transcendent Agave Master

• 1,834 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:02 PM

Look at the year of the tax stamp.

well, that does not always work as I've seen new bottles - fresh from the facility, with stamps that were 3 years old.

#5 Kevin K.

Kevin K.

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

We live in Mexico full-time but get back to the U.S. frequently. The lot numbers and date of distillation are reliable for both the ETWL and Platinum batches. Now it used to be that only ETWL was sold here, at around 240 pesos (~$18) a bottle for the blanco, while the exact same product in the for-export Platinum bottle sells for more than double that up north.

Sadly for both Mexico residents and visitors the price of ETWL locally just went from 238 to 409 pesos per bottle, and I have for the first time seen the Platinum packaging on the shelf of our local Mega. Maybe they are taking a page from the Casa Noble songbook (the only other brand that tries to sell Tequila in Mexico for N.O.B. prices).

Good incentive to buy Tapatio (259 pesos a liter) or support other brands. Chamucos Blanco blows all of the above away at what used to look like the expensive price of 273 pesos. Sorry to see El Tesoro drinking the Casa Noble (or is it Patron?) kool-aid with regard to pricing.

#6 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

Sorry to see El Tesoro drinking the Casa Noble (or is it Patron?) kool-aid with regard to pricing.

That's really too bad. I hope 7L doesn't fall in line.

#7 LSR

LSR

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

We live in Mexico full-time but get back to the U.S. frequently. The lot numbers and date of distillation are reliable for both the ETWL and Platinum batches. Now it used to be that only ETWL was sold here, at around 240 pesos (~$18) a bottle for the blanco, while the exact same product in the for-export Platinum bottle sells for more than double that up north. Sadly for both Mexico residents and visitors the price of ETWL locally just went from 238 to 409 pesos per bottle, and I have for the first time seen the Platinum packaging on the shelf of our local Mega. Maybe they are taking a page from the Casa Noble songbook (the only other brand that tries to sell Tequila in Mexico for N.O.B. prices). Good incentive to buy Tapatio (259 pesos a liter) or support other brands. Chamucos Blanco blows all of the above away at what used to look like the expensive price of 273 pesos. Sorry to see El Tesoro drinking the Casa Noble (or is it Patron?) kool-aid with regard to pricing.

Tell me about it! I was shocked when i went to replenish my stock of El Tesoro and found the price had shot up, El Tesoro blanco used to be a great deal, now not so much.

I know of a store selling El Tesoro anejo for 425 pesos, but Tapitio anejo is stil a better value at 338 pesos for 1L. Then again I could be bias as Tapitio is my daily drinker and I enjoy it much more than I probably should :)

Casa Noble, don't get me started on the pricing, I've seen the anejo from just over 700 pesos all the way up to 1800 pesos for the same bottle!

#8 Kevin K.

Kevin K.

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

Yeah, but at least if you buy Casa Noble at one of their company-owned stores you're eligible for a discount at one of their time shares :horror: . It's particularly sad in the case of El Tesoro because they've always been the ultimate "buy what's in the bottle not the marketing hype" brand.

#9 Noah

Noah

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:55 AM

Hey, I was in PV and got excited when I saw a bottle of El Tesoro White Label all alone in a tequila shop.  I snatched it up, not realizing that ALL El Tesoro in MX has the white label, until I went into a large chain liquor store and saw a shelf full of whte labels. 

I am wondering if the bottle I got is the old juice though.  Is there anyway to tell?  there is no Lote number.  There is a place for the Lote number, but nothing stamped there.  Also, no quality control sticker.  How do I tell when it's from?  The little "producion nacional" sticker has 2007 on it, but so does the bottle of Reserva De Los Gonzales I bought.

How to tell?

#10 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:44 PM

In my PV experience, it is not original old juice.  Taste it and you will know, trust me.  Still good, just not stellar.

#11 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

I'm surprised to hear that there are a bunch of WL presentations available for purchase in MX, as I had heard that they moved to the "olive oil" bottle.

#12 La.Casa.de.Tequilas

La.Casa.de.Tequilas

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

I'm surprised to hear that there are a bunch of WL presentations available for purchase in MX, as I had heard that they moved to the "olive oil" bottle.

Do you know when ET started the change over to the olive oil bottles in MX?

#13 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

Hey, I was in PV and got excited when I saw a bottle of El Tesoro White Label all alone in a tequila shop.  I snatched it up, not realizing that ALL El Tesoro in MX has the white label, until I went into a large chain liquor store and saw a shelf full of whte labels. 

I am wondering if the bottle I got is the old juice though.  Is there anyway to tell?  there is no Lote number.  There is a place for the Lote number, but nothing stamped there.  Also, no quality control sticker.  How do I tell when it's from?  The little "producion nacional" sticker has 2007 on it, but so does the bottle of Reserva De Los Gonzales I bought.

How to tell?

el marbete tax stamp on the bottles down here don't really indicate year - although older bottles 10+ years have very different el marbete stickers. I have seen the El Tesoro WLs down in these parts at the Liverpool MX store - look on the bottom of the bottle - there is a Lote sticker (usually) ie Pedro P1054 etc so not really near Lote years of the Denton import era stuff. WLs and OO bottles exist down here. OOs showed up around 3 years here with a significant price increase. The WLs (newer) lineup was $240-280-350 MX pesos. Seen the OO bottles from $500 MX pesos and up...

btw Reserva De Los Gonzales is tasty stuff. enjoy