5 replies to this topic

#1 MexicoCity00

MexicoCity00

Newcomer

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:02 AM

Hi everyone! Where to begin?
My wife and I did a trip to Las Vegas last november and went to Los Caminos in the Palazzo. They had an extensive tequila menu and I have always wanted to try an anejo.
On recommendations from our server, my first was tequila Ocho. I've been hooked ever since.
Up here in Canada the selection not only in low but also over priced.
My wife was born in mexico city and we will be heading there next month to visit family.
I could use help in finding the best places to buy the tequilas I'm looking for at good prices.
My experiences in tequila is very minimal so I'd like to share with you what I have tried and bought.
On our last trip to Portland, I picked up a bottle of Cinaco and a bottle of Corzo. My wife got me a bottle of 1942 on her last visit to MC.
Up until now, I get most of my info from tequila.net. I read the reviews and thats where I decided on getting the cinaco/corzo.
I particularly want to get my hands on ocho, casa noble, 4 copas, cinco negro, and if much cheaper in mexico, it would be nice to get a bottle of Herradura SS.
Any help at this point for such a newcomer would be much appreciated.

Also just ordered the pocket book from Ian.

#2 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:08 PM

Welcome to the forum, and I feel your pain living in Ontario.

Buying tequila in Mexico your gonna get the best prices, especially if you are traveling in non-tourist areas.

You are on the right track for brands so far. An excellent only in mexico brand is Tapatio and limited export Siete leguas.

#3 duffneggs

duffneggs

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:46 PM

Welcome, MexicoCity00! I too, am a Canadian (living in Ontario). The folks on this forum seem to be very helpful and knowledgeable. Good luck with your trip and be sure to share your findings!

#4 MexicoCity00

MexicoCity00

Newcomer

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the welcome and the little bit of info. Is it not true that there are certain places to buy tequila in mexico that also let you try the tequila first? As for what I hope to bring back, I've been researching as much as possible on all the websites for tequila. Trying to get everyones opinion. One in particular is called Cava de Oro. Which I believe you can only get in mexico. I've seen very good reviews about it, and it turns out one of my neighbors got it on his last trip to mexico.
Also I got the opportunity this past weekend to try some new tequilas. Aha toro which I was a little disappointed in, Voodoo tiki, which I liked and then to top it off an ounce of JC reserve de familia... Awesome!!

Edited by MexicoCity00, 26 September 2011 - 07:07 PM.

#5 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

yes depending on where you are some stores have a few sample bottles open and you can try them in the store and in some tourist areas there are some bar/store setups where you pay for a shot and can buy bottles.

#6 duffneggs

duffneggs

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

Has anybody tried la cofradia edicion iguanas (repo)? Thoughts?