Distillery: Destileria los Danzantes, Santiago, Matatlan, Oaxaca, Mexico
Type: Joven

Distillations: ?
Gusano: No
Proof: 96.4
Closure: Wood topped cork

Agave: Espadin, Tepezate and Tobala

Other: Tall, clear bottle

Visual: Brilliant, a shade darker than water, almost a greenish cast - just a hint of fluffy sediment. Slow-forming legs, lasting pearls.
Nose: Low to moderate woodsmoke, a slight brassiness, wet clay, and hay or dried grass, and a bit of a wet rope aroma. Nice!
Body/Taste: Swirled in the glass, it takes on a delicious, roast agave juice sweetness. Rich, somewhat oily feel, but lightens up towards the aftertaste with a gentle heat. Green agave, some buttery notes. Wow. (pours a bit more into the wine glass.) Hmm, unswirled, there's a bit more spirit. Still the nice, coating sweetness, but volatiles immediately compensate. Crazy lip buzz. In fact the top of my mouth seems to have gone missing.
Aftertaste/Finish: Coating sweetness with lasting heat. Breathing back out through the nose really brings forward the agave and alcohol intensity.
Overall Impression: Real mezcal. Very complex, very strong, not so smoky, but the high alcohol and big agave juice sweetness make this an incredible sensory experience. At $70, it's more than most folks would spring for, but after tasting it, I don't think you'd regret a cent. Can't wait to try this side to side with Pierde Almas!

Rating: Excellent. My new reference mezcal.

Attached Files

#2 don Pablo

don Pablo

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:19 PM

GDL -- I thank you kindly for the sample (and others). :cheers:

Real, yes, there is no mistaking that this is an unadulterated, solid mezcal. I don't have the palate that many do, but notice what this doesn't have (that some other mezcals do): no (or little) smoke, no fruit, no copper. Overall, I like it, but am not crazy about it. I like the nose, I like the initial taste, and then mid-palate or beyond (for me, of course), it veers off on an odd side trip :blink: -- and momentarily disappears. But then the finish returns, which I really enjoy. :t_up:

I recall that this was micro-tasted at SeattleJuan's personal, world-class mezcal bar a month or two ago. It not make my list of 4 obvious favorites (Pierde Almas, Alipus, my gardner's family reserve, and Los Nahuales), but it was in that next grouping that I enjoyed -- and well above a couple that I didn't.

I hope this doesn't sound bad, but I think I might consider it as a good mezcal for infusion experiments. :lightbulb: (Except it's too expensive for that, clearly.) I am currently infusing Del Maguey Vida with blackberries, and I like the results, but I think a more neutral mezcal would work better. Upon further reflection, and another sip, this might still be a bit too complex for that purpose. I do like it, it's just not in that top tier for me. :)

#3 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Last tear i tried mezcalero at the 2012 monterey tequila expo, and i was wowed by the bottle that was light green/blue it wa like a coral green color. Does anyone know where i can find that one bottle?

#4 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Last tear i tried mezcalero at the 2012 monterey tequila expo, and i was wowed by the bottle that was light green/blue it wa like a coral green color. Does anyone know where i can find that one bottle?

K&L Wine has the Mezcalero Releases if I recall but for the same price I´d stick to the Del Magueys IMHO. Do try the Alipus & La Niña offerings

Guelaguetza in LA has a great mezcal selection to sample btw

#5 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

I just got the alupis juan tonight and tried it against the fidencio clasico. The fidencio had a sweet aftertaste that I really enjoyed. Its hard judging two mezcals. The alipus was more savory smoke and clay. Will try again sometime. I didnt think i would ever end up liking this fidencio when i bought it but its getting better erryday

#6 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

I just got the alupis juan tonight and tried it against the fidencio clasico. The fidencio had a sweet aftertaste that I really enjoyed. Its hard judging two mezcals. The alipus was more savory smoke and clay. Will try again sometime. I didnt think i would ever end up liking this fidencio when i bought it but its getting better erryday

like I said not a huge Fidencio fan but their clasico is a good entry point - but that Alipus San Juan del Rio is a fav of mine so complex - esp at the $270MX peso price - another fav is the Alipus Edicion Especial 2011 San Andres offering - these yearly limited bottlings available in Oaxaca & Mexico DF Los Danzantes cantinas...stellar stuff

#7 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Are they available in california? What do the labels and names look like? Never seen an especial marker on any bottles ive seen. Im about to pick up a LD repo for $40. Best price ive seen so far

#8 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Are they available in california? What do the labels and names look like? Never seen an especial marker on any bottles ive seen. Im about to pick up a LD repo for $40. Best price ive seen so far

like I mentioned these like so many bottles are MX only so far

Attached File  AyCduVXCEAACfAG.jpg   207.81KB   9 downloadsAttached File  degustacion ed spe mezcal.jpg   71.69KB   5 downloads

#9 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Gorgeous!

#10 Don Nom

Don Nom

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

I had a pour of Mezcalero #6 last night, really liked it! A blend of Mexicano, Madrecuishe and Bicuishe, from Santa Maria La Pila, bottled at 48.7%. Definitely worth seeking out.

#11 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:41 PM

The last one I tried was the #9. Pricey at $70, but with arroqueno agave in single clay pot stills from el potrero de sola de vega,  it had a really soft, bready floral note up front, then a solid 48% abv burn, then mouth-filling sweetness toward the end. Be nice to do a back-to-back with some of these releases. I think they are on #11 now.

• SeattleJuan likes this

#12 SeattleJuan

SeattleJuan

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:57 PM

Mezcalero is up to release #12. 

Release #11 is Madrecuishe, Bicuishe, Mexicano and Espadin @46.55 ABV

Release #12 is made from wild harvested Agave Cupreata @47.3 ABV

#13 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

and there is going to be a Mezcalero special bottling No.1 semi-wild madrecuishe bottled by los Danzantes this May/June 2015 

Attached Files