Wanted Mezcal List

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 *45*

*45*

Transcendent Agave Master

• 1,810 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

Awesome.  Guess the influx is related to the "Mezcal from Oaxaca" people/project.  Nice site on facebook.  

Look forward to seeing your reviews.  :t_up:  And to tasting them myself when I get out to NYC in a couple of months.   :t_up:  :t_up:

quit lurking on facebook, and open a damn account already!!! :D

#32 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

I was just about to tey and order all the mezcals from astor wine too!

#33 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 554 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

I feel it's my sworn duty to catch up with my mezcal reviews and have therefore ordered 5 bottles from Andrews: Koch, Sietes Arroqueno, Yuu Baal madrecuixe, Union and Banhez. (Free shipping over $250--what can you do.) My liver and I will let you know how it goes.

I´m in agreement with *45* when it somes to Mezcals - it seems I really only like the 45%+ Abv. mezcals - there are brands like Cha Cha Cha (38%),Jaral de Berrio (36%) etc and although nice feel like they lack something... Just recently tried the new bottles of Real Minero (good but kind of $$$), Mezcalero #1,2,3 (very good), Yuu Baal Madrecuixe (very nice), Enmascarado 45% & 54% (nice), & Los Siete Misterios Tobala & the Espadin offerings (both worthy - really nice & a brand to watch out for IMHO). Keep a look out for La Niña del Mezcal - this woman has a lot of passion for Mezcal & this new brand is transcending expectations...

can´t wait to hear about your recent Mezcal bottle acquisitions Guy DeLouche - seems like the Mezcal market is exapanding - never heard of this Koch, Banhez, Santa Pedrera, Dona Sarito....

cheers

#34 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Which mezcals from astor wines would u order if u had $200 to drop?

#35 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

I mean based off of your post taste from Andrews, which would you order again?  I am excited to hear the tasting notes!

#36 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Well obviously the jury's still out on the new ones (Koch, Bahnez, Union, Yuu Baal and Los Siete). I'll get those Tuesday, reviews to follow.

But for now, the El Jolgorio looks good but is way pricey, and while I actually have never tried a pechuga, there are still so many classic mescals that I haven't tried, it's hard to justify the price for such a specialty category. (Plus, OK, I admit it...with all due respect to tradition and everything, why the hell would you want chicken/rabbit/[insert random critter here] juice in your mezcal anyway? :huh: Plus all the other junk they throw in there. Flowers? Fruit? Nuts? Sounds like the fruitcake of the mezcal world. With chicken. Don't be that Guy. OK, rant over.)

El Buho's pretty good for a low-end everyday Joe kind of drink; same with Sombra (and they're both on sale now at Astor--reason enough right there!) The Peloton, Los Amantes and Leyenda mezcals were fine, but just didn't impress me. Nice complexities hidden in there, but like Vanguero said, there just seemed to be something missing; they seemed a bit watery to me. I'm hoping I won't run into the same issue with Bahnez and Union. Also, in this price range ($30) the Fidencio Clasico is awesome. (Don't get the Sin Humo--that's a why bother.)

The Nahuales mezcals are very nice; can't go wrong with them, but it you are prepared to pay $60-$70 for a bottle, I would cut to the chase and get the Marca Negra. Beautiful stuff. And one I've been dying to try for a very long time is the Fidencio Tobala. $85 is Del Maquey territory, but hey, it's a Tobala, and I'm betting it's amazing. For that matte, you probably couldn't go wrong with any of the DMs as well, if you can afford them. If you end up getting the tobala, please take notes and let me know what you think!

The Real Minero looks like it would be smashing, but $115 is a bundle.

ANY Pierde Almas would also be awesome, but see financial caveat above.

Let us know what you order!

Guy

#37 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

I will do Ledouche.  Only 3 I've got so far is the san juan alipus, Los Nahuales repo, and the fidencio classico.  The fidencio seems a little sweeter to me and has a creamy vegetal nose. The alipus a little smokier, fuller flavor.  From Andrews I will probably orderthe Tinieblo, mano negra (both tobala and espadin), yuu bal, thinking of doing the Ilegal Joven because I recon; I love tequila, so a mezcal that tastes more like tequila will be fine with me, right?  Let me know if there is any must haves after you try the new one's you have ordered to add to my list.  Santa Pedrera is another one they have that is new.  

THANKS!!

#38 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

Oh man, I didn't realize Andrews had the ManoNegra tobala...is it too late to change my order??

I'm jealous...enjoy.

Edit: And that's "DeLouche," thank you very much.  B)

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 25 February 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#39 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:44 AM

Hah! Sorry for slashing ur name DeLouche. Ouch! Did u get ur order or is it there tomorow? I have been holding back on mine till seeing id u think there is anythng i MUST add to it. I think im gonna get the siete misterios arroqueno, the koch, the yul baal, and both mano negras. Pricey but i think worth it. Wanna order soon in case they sell out.

#40 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

They are here!

Attached Files

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 26 February 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#41 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Nice!! Just read the banhez assesment u wrote. Lookin forward to seeing what u thought of the yuu ball, koch, and siete misterios. I wish I could get a bottle if the LM coyote!

#42 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

They are here!

Enjoying the tasting notes you are posting -- thanks. :t_up:  Will soon be time to place orders....

#43 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:34 AM

Ditto! Amazing. Im qaiting to place my order till i hear about the koch

#44 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:34 AM

Oban the SM

#45 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

Glad you guys liked the reviews...got to pick up the kids tonight, so I might not get to the other bottles until the weekend! 

#46 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Cool! Thankss

#47 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

Just ordered the marconegras, yuu baal, siete misterios, koch, and tinieblo from andrews. Ill let u know what i think next week.

#48 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:15 AM

Also some pierde almas dobaadan and the 40$ one from cask sf will pick up manana. Dobaadan in only $70 at cask. Possible screw up on their part( they still have the LN repo up for 40 if anyone is interested... Online only tho)

#49 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

Nice! Actually, I think that's about what I paid for the PA dobadaan as well; you'll like that one, and you won't at all be disappointed with the Koch - just added a review for that one. In fact all of those are knockouts. They keep being excellent! Maybe I'm getting to be a softy. (Well, then again, I wasn't all that impressed with the 80 proofers I picked up. Hope that Tinieblo works out for you - let us know if it ends up proving my usual bias wrong).

#50 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Heck yes!! Its mezcal season yall. Yuu baalers!

#51 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Heck yes!! Its mezcal season yall. Yuu baalers!

Any updates on all the new mezcales you bought?  Thanks.  I am itching to place my orders.....

#52 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

The siete misteros mezcal is realllllly delicious. Thats the one im most excited about

#53 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 554 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

the Mezonte establishment in Gdl,Jalisco is apparently by appointment only  - so if you make it to Guadalajara sent an email prior to visiting this place

#54 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

There are some new (or at least unfamiliar) mescals....anyone tried these?

at K&L:

Alipus San Baltazar Guelavila Mezcal 750ml $39.99 

Tosba Espadin Mezcal 750ml $33.99

El Silencio Joven Mezcal 750ml $59.99  

Nuestro Soledad Mezcal 750ml $37.99 

at Hi-Time:

DelirioEl Diablito, La Penca, Montelobos, Mala Noche (reposed), San Dimas, (isn't that where Bill & Ted lived?  :huh:).

And from another online retailer there's one called Alacran (though I don't live in one of the 4 states these guys ship to).

#55 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 554 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

got a special liking for Alipus stuff, heard good things about the Tosba lineup (espadin is 42% pechuga 46% and Tobala 46%), tried some of the Montelobos 40%Abv and wasn't overly impressed especially for the price again YMMV. Recently bought a bottle of DM SLR Azul and damn if this is what tequila could be like...