• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

As mezcal slooowly begins to catch on in the US, I'm reading more references to high-end, small batch, traditional brands that I want to try, but either can't get, or (in the case of Pierde Almas) can't afford. So this thread is a compilation of unattainable rarities, and please feel free to provide info about them if you've tasted or even seen them. You can also add to the list, of course!

(In no particular order, and please note that many of these sources offer several regional varieties of varying rarity and price!)

1) Mezcales de Leyenda

2) Pierde Almas

3) Alipus (Danzantes) - hopefully I'll be able to try one of these soon (thanks dP!)

4) Enmascarado

5) Real Minero

6) La Venencia,Yogana, Ejutla, Oaxaca

7) A Punto de Veneno

8) Mezcales Sansekan, Chilapa, Guerrero

9) Los Amantes

10) Milagrito de Corazon

11) Mezcal Agave Mexicano (Danzantes)

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 11 March 2011 - 01:36 PM.

#2 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:46 AM

12) Mezcalero. California only, but you can order it online from CadellWilliams.com or hitimewines.com. $70-$80 per bottle. Apparently there is a run of 182 bottles, and then it's gone. Made with wild harvested Tobala and tepeztate agave, and espadin. 48.2%. Here's a blurb about it: http://www.alcademic...ero-mezcal.html

Posted Image.

#3 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 615 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

This past weekend I was able to enjoy Alipus (San Andres)... the benefits of having family in Mexico. And believe me now, or believe me later- it is very good. It is fairly sweet with the expected smokiness of traditional Mezcal (for all I know, they add lighter fluid- JK). It has typical citrus notes... AND after a few (3 or more- I lost count) I was tasting chocolate... WTF! Very nice, numbing finish (it must be its 48+% alcohol- or the lighter fluid).

If you enjoy mezcal, have someone get you a bottle of Alipus... it sells at *La Europea* for about $20.

#4 gabe

gabe

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:18 AM

As mezcal slooowly begins to catch on in the US, I'm reading more references to high-end, small batch, traditional brands that I want to try, but either can't get, or (in the case of Pierde Almas) can't afford. So this thread is a compilation of unattainable rarities, and please feel free to provide info about them if you've tasted or even seen them. You can also add to the list, of course!

Out of curiosity, what's the price point for Pierde Almas?

I was just in Austin, and I did run across a bottle of Los Amantes. Well, I think I did, at least. That's the name I remember, but now that I'm looking at the website's pictures, I don't remember the unusual bottle shape and Eiffel Tower shape on the label.

#5 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

Gabe, more info here: http://www.blueagave...4-pierde-almas/

#6 *45*

*45*

• 1,810 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:37 PM

(In no particular order, and please note that many of these sources offer several regional varieties of varying rarity and price!)

1) Mezcales de Leyenda

2) Pierde Almas

3) Alipus (Danzantes) - hopefully I'll be able to try one of these soon (thanks dP!)

4) Enmascarado

5) Real Minero

6) La Venencia,Yogana, Ejutla, Oaxaca

7) A Punto de Veneno

8) Mezcales Sansekan, Chilapa, Guerrero

9) Los Amantes

10) Milagrito de Corazon

11) Mezcal Agave Mexicano (Danzantes)

awesome list Guy, thank you for sharing this!!!

#7 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:20 PM

Just had one of these brought back for me from Florida, via Hitimes.

Limited... should I drink it???

No bottle numbers, that kinda surprised me.

12) Mezcalero. California only, but you can order it online from CadellWilliams.com or hitimewines.com. $70-$80 per bottle. Apparently there is a run of 182 bottles, and then it's gone. Made with wild harvested Tobala and tepeztate agave, and espadin. 48.2%. Here's a blurb about it: http://www.alcademic...ero-mezcal.html

Posted Image.

#8 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

FOUND: Los Amantes

http://www.astorwine...chtype=Contains

If I hadn't just blown $80 on a bottle of Mezcalero from hitimewines, I would be ordering this right now. Somebody buy it and let us know how it is!

Oh, and it seems the first run of Pierde Almas bottles are going fast - drinkupny is already out of stock on the three varieties they were selling, but a few new england retailers still have some in stock...

#9 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

FOUND: Milagrito de Corazon

http://www.elpalacio...5&docid=5465093

You can pay the 419 pesos with a paypal account - but once payment is received, will they ship north of the border? Haven't found any other Mexican retailers who are willing to do so, so I'm thinking this might be a somewhat risky endeavor.

#10 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:44 PM

Cracked the mezcalero...

Very complex but not heavy, enjoyable for sure. Worth the money.... ? hard to say, but a quality product thats for sure.

#11 *45*

*45*

• 1,810 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:45 AM

so doing a little research tonight, due impart to the Pierde Almas post by Guy DeLouche, I found this neat blog from a dude in Denmark. It includes a video of tobala production. if you read the blog it talks about how traditional palenqueros used cowhide to make their fermentation vats, and you will see this in the video. good stuff for sure!

#12 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:45 AM

Great find, *45*. What an amazing video! I got such a hankering after watching that, I broke down and ordered a bottle of Dobadaan from a shop in New York. $82 with shipping Posted Image, but methinks it will be worth it. Happy Cinco de Mayo, amigos!

#13 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

Got a couple to add to the list:
Tinieblo ($44.99/?%) is available in a joven, repo and anejo, and
Manonegra ($51.99/48%) just comes as a blanco. Edit: mini review in this thread.
Posted Image

Attached Files

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 20 January 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#14 *45*

*45*

• 1,810 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:27 PM

Got a couple to add to the list:
Tinieblo ($44.99/?%) is available in a joven, repo and anejo, and
Manonegra ($51.99/48%) just comes as a blanco.
Posted Image

FYI; Tinieblo is an autoclaved product from Tamaulipas.

#15 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

Autoclaved!?? :horror:
Those pasteurizing mother-grabbing bastards!! Thanks for setting me straight, 45. :beat:

#16 *45*

*45*

• 1,810 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

or at least I think it is...I saw pics of an autoclave on their site http://www.mezcales....oldversion.html , but they aren't there anymore...or I'm just confused.

#17 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:20 PM

Cool article. Might add to your list. http://esquire.esmas...6/marcas-mezcal

#18 Tequila4me

Tequila4me

• Agave friends
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

I was over at Z's Liquor store last weekend and I was stocked that he had several Mezcal brands now available. I've been curious to try some of these new brands( at least new for me) I think 'm gonna get a few of them next time I go to Old Town's Lquor... I kinds of got these in mind, can you Mezcal Pro's chime in as far your own experiences with any of them? Thanks in advance
Sacacuneto Silver and Anejo
METL Blanco and Repo
ILEGAL Blanco, Repo and Anejo
Hopefully I can pull the whole load without the wifey sending me to the dog house for a while :lmao:
BTW, does anyone have any info about WAHAKA mezcal being available now??? I

#19 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:21 AM

I've had METL blanco and one of the aged versions--I can't remember if it was repo or anejo. The aging felt a little forced, or artificial, to me. It was drinkable, but not something I would buy again. The METL blanco was not life-changing, but it was solid and quite drinkable. If it's in the $30 range, it's worth trying IMHO.

#20 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:23 AM

Incidentally, what's the deal with WAHAKA mezcal? The name alone sounds pretty gimmicky, and from their website I see they are making one product with a gusano in the bottle, which suggests they prioritize marketing over quality. However, they also make a tobala, which has my attention..

#21 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

The wahaka madrecuixe looks interesting too. Fidencio just came out with a madrecuixe that looks VERY interesting: http://www.DrinkUpNY...ixe_p/s1172.htm

Here's a fairly useless blurb on the whahaka: http://www.laninadel...can/#comment-13
That's a lot of 100s. Too bad they're only 40% alcohol.

T4me, I haven't tried metl, but the ilegal was one i will avoid. It was tolerably smooth, but the "sin humo" mezcals just don't taste like mezcal to me. more like a rough tequila. your results may vary depending on your taste, but I found ilegal to be far too pricey for what it offered.
Lippy covered Sacacuento in one of his tequila whisperer episodes, #75 I believe. He compared the blanco favorably to Agave de Cortes blanco, which I found fairly tame, with mildly interesting mineral and cake icing nuances. Not bad, but I probably wouldn't go there again. Apparently Sacacuento has a bit more smoke though. Probably one to try before Ilegal anyway.

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 10 January 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#22 Tequila4me

Tequila4me

• Agave friends
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

Guy DeLouche, thanks for your input :t_up: When it comes to consuming Mezcal, I want to taste The Smokiness in the juice, so I will stay away from those "Sin Humo" Mezcal.... I will take your advice and go with Sacacuento first and then try METL.
@ Gabe, I agree with you on the name, but IMHO.....They are making something good, you definetly will taste the Smokiness in all of their offerings and the Tobala, it's one to try. YMMV tho.... :)

#23 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:03 AM

Well, I'm slightly pessimistic about WAHAKA, but not too stuck up enough to avoid it entirely.. yet. :D I'll give it a try when the opportunity presents itself.

Agree with comments about "sin humo" mezcals.. What's the point?

#24 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

Went to Las Perlas in downtown LA last night and tried a few new mezcals.

Wahaka Tobala. Nice nose. Taste and finish were a bit soft and I lost interest by the end of the pour. Good, but lacking complexity and I think DM Tobala is superior.

Mezcalero. Much bolder taste than the Wahaka, including some fruitiness and admirable complexity. Really liked this one.

DM San Luis Del Rio Azul. The "Azul" thing is new apparently? I didn't get the full story, but it was described to me as being "velvety", which is a good description. As expected, it was excellent; a great way to end the night.

#25 LSR

LSR

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

Thanks alot, after reading this thread I've become interested in Mezcal. Going to have to head over to "La Europa" in the next few days to see what they have in stock.

#26 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

Great to have you on board LSR, welcome. Hope you can share your mezcal findings.

I tried the Los Amantes plata and had a similar reaction to Gabe's with the Whahaka - smooth, clean, but a bit soft. Maybe the likes of Mezcalero, Pierde Almas and Manonegra have spoiled me, but the 40% mezcals (with the possible exception of Danzantes blanco) just don't do it for me anymore.

REALLY liking Manonegra though. Gabe, ya gotta try this one! Initial impressions had a lot of coiny, brassy aromatics, but I think these volatiles have mostly breathed off after getting some air in the bottle, and it's really opened up and brought out a lot more agave and smoke. Wonderful stuff. Wish you could get it outside of NY, though.

Edit: I emailed the buyer at Astor Wines in NY after hearing that Manonegra does a Tobala in addition to their excellent Espadin mezcal - their reply is below. I'm tempted, but that's a bit steep!

Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, we would be able to order this for you. The price would be $104.99 per bottle. Please call me at the number below if you would like to proceed with a special order.

Best,

Ali Lyons
Sales Manager
Astor Wines & Spirits
399 Lafayette Street (@ East 4th St)
New York, NY 10003
v) 212.674.7500
f) 212.673.1210

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 22 February 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#27 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

A few additions (and subtractions) to the list.
found: Alipus is now available, at least three of them.
wanted: Not available north of the border, and most intriguing, are mezcals from Real Minero. (Though if you have deep pockets, you can pick up a bottle of their tobala from tequila-hacienda via Ebay.)

From distilus.com (they have an excellent list of mezcals, check them out!):

Espadin, Tripon, Barril & Largo (red label)

Posted Image

100% organic agave from Espadín (Agave angustifolia) with 3 local subspecies of wild Agave karwinskii (Tripón, Barril and Largo). Agaves range between 12 - 18 years old. Distilled in ceramic pots.

Alc./vol
46.9%

Type
Mezcal

Distillery Est.
Unknown

Volumes
700 ml

Distiller
Ángeles family

Country
Mexico

Espadin (blue label):

Posted Image

100% organic prepared under a traditional process. Natural fermentation in oak barrels, twice in terracotta pots.

Alc./vol
45.9%

Type
Mezcal

Distillery Est.
Unknown

Volumes
700 ml

Distiller
Ángeles family

Country
Mexico

Tobala (green label)

Posted Image

From 100% wild Tobala agave (Agave potatorum) grown in the Valles Centrales, Oaxaca.

Alc./vol
49%

Type
Mezcal

Distillery Est.
Unknown

Volumes
700 ml

Distiller
Ángeles family

Country
Mexico

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 09 July 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#28 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 565 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

really interested in the some of the Del Magueys - San Luis Del Rio Azul, Arroqueno, Chichicapa Special Cask Finish, & Pechuga. I already have a rainbow pack but Del Maguey is so nice to have on hand

#29 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

So there seems to be a veritable slew of new mezcals available, particularly from NY retailers, especially Astor Wines and the newly-started andrewswinecellars.com. A couple are 80 proof mezcals, but some appear to be newly-available high-end premiums. This guy has started a pretty comprehensive list:

http://mezcalphd.com...e-u-s/#more-601

I feel it's my sworn duty to catch up with my mezcal reviews and have therefore ordered 5 bottles from Andrews: Koch, Sietes Arroqueno, Yuu Baal madrecuixe, Union and Banhez. (Free shipping over $250--what can you do.) My liver and I will let you know how it goes.

28362_lg.jpg
28362_hr.jpg
bottle
Banhez Mezcal Tradicional
Item # 28362 | 750mL 

Region: Oaxaca
ABV: 40%
Producer:Banhez Mezcal

Bottle Price: $34.99 
Case of 6: $209.94 

Bottle(s)     Case(s) 

This item is being featured in a tasting on: 03/16/2013
Tasting Notes
The smoke is there at first but ultimately it plays a background role to the gorgeous fruit driven aromas of lime rind, banana, to the more tropical presence of star fruit and papaya. Very terroir driven, as all good mezcal should be, the beautiful integration of elements on the palate are accented by peppery flavors that waken the senses.

28361_lg.jpg
28361_hr.jpg
bottle
Union Mezcal Uno
Item # 28361 | 750mL 

ABV: 40%
Producer:Union Mezcal

Bottle Price: $39.99 
Case of 6: $239.94 

Bottle(s)     Case(s) 

This item is being featured in a tasting on: 03/16/2013
Tasting Notes
This mezcal comes from a group of families that have been planting and growing agave and turning it into mezcal for generations and believe that they were born to make mezcal. Produced using a blend of three different kinds of agave, the range is impressive with white pepper, spring florals, top notes of citrus with hints of smoke and hints of earth. An inviting proof makes this particularly mellow and delicate. Beautiful texture and very refreshing.

28367_lg.jpg
28367_hr.jpg
bottle
Koch El Mezcal Wild Agave
Item # 28367 | 750mL 

ABV: 47%
Producer:Koch Mezcal

Bottle Price: $48.99 
Case of 6: $293.94 

Bottle(s)     Case(s) 

Tasting Notes
Koch El Mezcal is an unthinkably rare spirit produced exclusively from a range of wild agave. The individual, intensely idiosyncratic, agave grow under harsh and generally prohibitive conditions come together to form a poised, charming, and tenaciously subtle mezcal. Distinguished notes of flora, mineral salts, and delicate spices tease your senses. On the palate, agave nectar rolls off the tongue while a pillow of smoke seems to linger endlessly on the finish.
Staff Pick Notes

I started to write all about how good this Mezcal is and I quickly figured out that this short form has nowhere near enough space to contain all of the praise I was looking to shower upon this Mezcal. Therefore if you are still in need of convincing just give me a call or stop by the store. P 212 674 7500 
- OW

28366_lg.jpg
28366_hr.jpg
bottle
Yuu Baal Madrecuixe
Item # 28366 | 750mL 

ABV: 48%
Producer:Yuu Baal

Bottle Price: $73.99 
Case of 6: $443.94 

Bottle(s)     Case(s) 

This item is being featured in a tasting on: 02/23/2013
Tasting Notes
Madrecuixe is an extraordinary wild species of agave. It is a gift of nature that grows in limited quantities and is used to produce some of the most profound spirit in the world. This incredible bottling from Yuu Baal is their first ever available in America. At first oily and resinous, the profile then unexpectedly builds towards notes of parley and celery root. A hint of hard candy and plenty of smoke round out this wonderful mezcal making it one of the most impressive items to grace our shelves.
Staff Pick Notes

We love mezcal! I mean we really love mezcal here at Astor Wines. Because of this love, we have sought out some exciting new mezcals. One of the stars of our new selection is the "Yuu Baal Madrecuixe". Madrecuixe (pronounced: Madre Cuishé) is a rare, wild species of agave. Its flavor is unique and if you are a Madrecuixe novice it is indeed an experience! This is one of the finest examples of Madrecuixe that I have encountered. This mezcal is alight with notes of spicy mustard seed which transition to fresh agave and herbs. The smoke is tame but complexity and nuance reign supreme. For those looking for a huge blast of smoke I would encourage you instead to focus on the array of other things going on in this amazing mezcal. This is way too interesting a category to get hung up on one attribute. This mezcal is a marathon... not a sprint!
- OW

28365_lg.jpg
28365_hr.jpg
bottle
Los Siete Misterios
Item # 28365 | 750mL 

ABV: 49%
Producer:Los Siete Misterios

Bottle Price: $89.99 
Case of 6: $539.94 

Bottle(s)     Case(s) 

Tasting Notes
Mezcals made from the rare Arroqueno agave plant have gained something of a cult status and at the moment this is the only one available in the U.S. This offering is vintaged 2008 and made from the most traditional method of double distillation in hand made clay pot stills, Equally as sweet as it is spicy this mezcal was made to knock your socks off. Concentrated yet filled with nuance it won;t take long to become absorbed in this, "mysterious," potion that continues to transform in your glass uncovering everything from honeydew, to fresh herbs, to jalapenos, flinty gun smoke, candied fruit and so much more.
Staff Pick Notes

Incredibly rare, incredibly special, incredibly delicious, and just plain incredible. This mezcal is made from the scarce and highly prized wild Maguey de Arroqueno. The taste is unique and is a must-try for any agave aficionado. To describe it briefly, you will find notes of apple peel, fresh lime, smoky bacon, lapsang souchong, beurre noisette, cinnamon, damp earth, mint, sweet roasted agave, and intense notes of clay (undoubtedly stemming from the handmade clay pot still used), and the list goes on. I have never encountered a spirit that expressed its terroir so vividly. How many spirits have you had where you can unequivocally state that you can taste every element of its production, down to the still it was made in? This is something special.
- OW

...And the pricey chicken juice Vanguero mentioned recently:
28363_lg.jpg
28363_hr.jpg
bottle
El Jolgorio Mezcal Pechuga
Item # 28363 | 750mL 

ABV: 48%
Producer:Jolgorio

Bottle Price: $99.99 
Case of 6: $599.94 

Bottle(s)     Case(s) 

Tasting Notes
This ceremonial mezcal is produced as a celebration of the fruits of the earth. At peak ripeness, select local fruits that grow on a producers estate in concert with rice and in this case a chicken breast are steeped into the still during a third distillation. The result here is direct and impact-full. The aromas sing of roasted wild heirloom red berry fruit, crushed black sea salt, and a streak of clay mineral. Full and complete on the palate, creamy texture jockeys with a fire that's yet to go out. This is decadent and in a league of its own.

Finally, this Real Minero Espadin Largo is available! Presumably different from the blue-label Espadin in the post above. It ain't cheap though:
28360_lg.jpg
28360_hr.jpg
bottle
Real Minero Mezcal
Item # 28360 | 750mL 

Sub-Region:Ocotlan
ABV: 47%
Producer:Real Minero

Bottle Price: $114.99 
Case of 6: $689.94 

Bottle(s)     Case(s) 

Tasting Notes
Double distillation in traditional clay pot stills from an estate that spans across 4 generations is not something you hear every day when talking about spirits. Adding to the rareness of this bottling, is the fact that it is a blend of 4 different agave species, both wild and cultivated, with only a very small amount produced. The spirit beguiles you and makes you wonder how an un-aged spirit can be inherent of so much complexity and balance. Truly one of the most authentic and incredible spirits we have come across.

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 19 February 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#30 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

I feel it's my sworn duty to catch up with my mezcal reviews and have therefore ordered 5 bottles from Andrews: Koch, Sietes Arroqueno, Yuu Baal madrecuixe, Union and Banhez. (Free shipping over $250--what can you do.) My liver and I will let you know how it goes.

Awesome.  Guess the influx is related to the "Mezcal from Oaxaca" people/project.  Nice site on facebook.  

Look forward to seeing your reviews.  :t_up:  And to tasting them myself when I get out to NYC in a couple of months.   :t_up:  :t_up: