• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 small ears

small ears

Newcomer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:14 PM

Hello I am from western shore of Hudson bay, and I remember my greatgrandma telling me of a big wooden boat with numerous oars on each side, and the people who are rowing, were singing some form of slow song, which we could not translate to our language, so we concluded that boat was used by another "New" tribes for their exploration....the boat was going northeasterly direction, and we just went about living our way of life, not bumping into each other. This was like early 1800's, to sometime around 1600's.

small ears......

Edited by small ears, 26 October 2010 - 04:16 PM.

#2 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:07 AM

Hello I am from western shore of Hudson bay, and I remember my greatgrandma telling me of a big wooden boat with numerous oars on each side, and the people who are rowing, were singing some form of slow song, which we could not translate to our language, so we concluded that boat was used by another "New" tribes for their exploration....the boat was going northeasterly direction, and we just went about living our way of life, not bumping into each other. This was like early 1800's, to sometime around 1600's.

small ears......

Interesting story and I'd love to hear more if you have anything.

It might have been any of a number of explorers. After Hudson, there were many trips to the area, including the famous 'rescue' expeditions, some of which erached that shore. There were also numerous voyages of mapping in the 19th century, some by the Hudson Bay Company. I personally doubt Henry Hudson would have reached the western shore of the Bay - his crew was sick, hungry and dis-spirited. It's more likely they ended up on the much closer eastern shore, near James bay.