• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:34 PM

After Mezcalerokuam's fine review of the Lajita Anejo, I figured I would follow up with the repo.

Brand Name: Mezcal Lajita Reposado
Distillery: Licores Veracruz, S.A. de C.V.
Lot: MII-128311
Distillations: yo no se
Type: reposado
Gusano: Yes. Chubby one, too.
Proof: 80
Closure: plastic screw cap
Agave: 100%

Visual: Very clear, very pale gold-beige. Coarse, dark sediment in the bottle. Might be grub dandruff.
Nose: Good smoke, somewhat band-aid-ish. Some light cooked agave, a bit of wood-inspired vanilla sweetness.
Body/Taste: Nice agave and smoke, olla clay pot, then a slightly sweet alcohol that recedes to some heat on the sides of the tongue.
Aftertaste/Finish: Mostly wood smoke, but some nice agave mash warmth. Maybe the grub is contributing that vegetal note from the agave? Not offensive, but I've tasted this in mexcals (or mixto tequilas) I did not like (Jose Cuervo comes to mind).
Overall Impression: Nice mezcal, lots of smoke and cooked veggie maguey, but not inspiring. You get what you pay for - for $20 this is good mezcal, but I probably wouldn't get it again if it were $30. As it is, a perfect mezcal for making smoky mixed drinks, or for shots if you need to get there quickly and on a budget.

Rating: Fair

Attached Files

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 19 April 2011 - 03:45 PM.

#2 tiedyefor

tiedyefor

Newcomer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

BAND - AID!!!!! THAT was the taste!!! ;-) I just had a smokey margarita made with Lajita and that was the word I was looking for. I went and asked the bartender for a sip just to make sure, but it was definitely the taste from the Lajita. ;-) I bought a bottle in Houston a while back, and it wasn't bad. But next time, I won't follow a tamarind flavored margarita with Lajita... LOL

#3 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:45 PM

makes sense. Band-aids are petroleum-based, and those petroleum esters can be a signature taste/smell in distillates..

#4 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

In beer and wine, a band-aid character can be caused by Brettanomyces yeast contamination - the compound is called 4-ethylphenol. It has a very low sensory threshold, something like 140 g/L, so it's very easy to pick up. It can also be caused by chlorophenols, which is why wineries no longer use any sort of bleach product for cleaning or sanitizing.

However, in mezcal, I'm thinking it's probably more related to the pit roasting of the agaves. Brewers using Scottish peated malts in their beers often overdo it, and end up with this off-flavor. I am actually quite against the use of peated malt in beer - unless that beer is to be distilled of course - because there are several Scotch ale strains (an ancient Edinburgh strain in particular) that produces a faint, very clean smoky character all by itself. Smoke is definitely something you don't want to overdo. At least in beer.