• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 KoolMan

KoolMan

Newcomer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

One of my uncles make mezcal and every time we go down there we try to bring as much as possible since the airlines dont really allow it it kind of hard.
I called my local USP and asked if they shipped it but they said you have to be a licensed winery for them to ship it.
is there a way of shipping it form Mexico / Morelos to CA? the bigger cities near them would be Toluca and Cuernavaca.

Thanks
  • Carlos Cli likes this

#2 *45*

*45*

Transcendent Agave Master

• 1,834 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:15 PM

One of my uncles make mezcal and every time we go down there we try to bring as much as possible since the airlines dont really allow it it kind of hard.
I called my local USP and asked if they shipped it but they said you have to be a licensed winery for them to ship it.
is there a way of shipping it form Mexico / Morelos to CA? the bigger cities near them would be Toluca and Cuernavaca.

Thanks

yeah, you are not going to be able to ship alcohol (of any amount) across the border. depending on where you fly into the US, you can bring at least 5 liters per person with you. if you search the california abc for "importing for personal use", it can help give you a game plan...

#3 KoolMan

KoolMan

Newcomer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

So there is a limit of how much can be brought in to the USA
does it have to be sealed? For mezcal usually some distillers do not seal it, which is the case, can that still be brought to the USA?

#4 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:06 PM

So there is a limit of how much can be brought in to the USA
does it have to be sealed? For mezcal usually some distillers do not seal it, which is the case, can that still be brought to the USA?

yeah, you might want to find a way to get those bottles (with a label) sealed, anyway you can.

#5 KoolMan

KoolMan

Newcomer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:22 PM

So I was down in tijuana this past weekend and I brought a 12 pack of 1.5L each beer, 2x2L mezcal and 2x1L pure alcohol and the CBP said it was 1 bottle per person but since it was my first time I go through the 2ndary inspection i was able to bring it with me. Next time they would take it from me. I did get a fine for no declaring mangos. But that is another story

So what is the limit for alcohol?

#6 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

So what is the limit for alcohol?

per the California ABC importing for personal use...

• Returning from Mexico Section 23661 of the CA Business and Professions Code limits the quantity of alcohol brought into California from Mexico for personal or household use as follows:
  • A pedestrian crossing the international border on foot may bring in only the amount of alcoholic beverages which are exempt from payment of duty in accordance with the existing provision of federal law (currently, this is one-liter every 31 days). Note: This limit applies to all persons regardless of state or country of residence. No waivers are available.
  • A California resident crossing the international border in a vehicle that is not a common carrier may bring in only the amount of alcoholic beverages which are exempt from payment of duty in accordance with the existing provisions of federal law (currently, this is one-liter every 31 days).
  • Non-California residents crossing the international border in a vehicle that is not a common carrier can bring with them a reasonable quantity of alcoholic beverages (up to five cases or 60 liters) provided the beverages are for personal or household use.
  • A California resident or any other person crossing the international border via common carrier may bring in a reasonable quantity of alcoholic beverages (up to five cases or 60 liters) provided the beverages are for personal or household use.
  • No person under 21 years of age may bring in any quantity of alcoholic beverages.
For the purpose of Section 23661 "common carriers" are steamship companies and railroads, or any persons who hold themselves out to the general public to transport in interstate or foreign commerce any class or classes of passengers or property, or both, for compensation by air or highway, who actually engage in such transportation, and who hold an interstate alcoholic beverage transporter's permit as required by Section 32109 of the Revenue and Taxation Code.

Persons who transport only property owned or consigned to themselves shall not be deemed to be common carriers within the meaning of this section. It should be noted that "common carriers" do not include taxicabs or sightseeing buses crossing the international border.

#7 totallytequila

totallytequila

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 407 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

Returning from Mexico Section 23661 of the CA Business and Professions Code limits the quantity of alcohol brought into California from Mexico for personal or household use as follows:

Non-California residents crossing the international border in a vehicle that is not a common carrier can bring with them a reasonable quantity of alcoholic beverages (up to five cases or 60 liters) provided the beverages are for personal or household use.

Thanks for posting those ABC laws *45*. So would it be safe to assume that since I am a Florida resident, I would fall into the above category? I'm just curious as to how many liters I would be allowed to bring back over the border on the Lobster Bus in September. I think I might be able to hand carry five liters but I doubt I could handle five cases!! Posted Image

#8 KoolMan

KoolMan

Newcomer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:02 PM

so as long as someone is not a CA resident you can bring up to 60L? and a CA resident only 1L? that's f'ed up
what if i cross at another state boarder?

#9 Tequila4me

Tequila4me

• Agave friends
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

so as long as someone is not a CA resident you can bring up to 60L? and a CA resident only 1L? that's f'ed up

You sound like you really want to go ahead and try to cross some good amounts of Mezcal. How much Mezcal would you like to bring to the States?? Just curious. I've been crossing between 3 and 12 bottles of Tequila in a car and also walking and "knock on Wood" I've never had any problems with U.S. Customs. Good luck and hopefully you can bring as much Mezcal as you can:t_up:

#10 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:12 AM

Returning from Mexico Section 23661 of the CA Business and Professions Code limits the quantity of alcohol brought into California from Mexico for personal or household use as follows:

Non-California residents crossing the international border in a vehicle that is not a common carrier can bring with them a reasonable quantity of alcoholic beverages (up to five cases or 60 liters) provided the beverages are for personal or household use.

Thanks for posting those ABC laws *45*. So would it be safe to assume that since I am a Florida resident, I would fall into the above category? I'm just curious as to how many liters I would be allowed to bring back over the border on the Lobster Bus in September. I think I might be able to hand carry five liters but I doubt I could handle five cases!! Posted Image

Don't get too excited. Posted Image The Lobster Bus will count as a sightseeing vehicle, therefore, the 1L per person will apply as we will be getting to the border via bus, but will have to walk across, then get back on the bus to take us to the parking lot. Thats not to say that everyone abides by this law...

#11 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:13 AM

Arizona and Texas are pretty hardcore on their own 1L law. Posted Image

#12 LaCasaDeTequilas

LaCasaDeTequilas

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:51 PM

You sound like you really want to go ahead and try to cross some good amounts of Mezcal. How much Mezcal would you like to bring to the States?? Just curious. I've been crossing between 3 and 12 bottles of Tequila in a car and also walking and "knock on Wood" I've never had any problems with U.S. Customs. Good luck and hopefully you can bring as much Mezcal as you can:t_up:

how often do you bring tequila back? do you really have to wait the 31 days before you can bring more back?:huh: i was thinking on going down to san diego next month for a 3 day weekend thing and cross the border all three days and bring tequila back.

-lcdt

#13 LaCasaDeTequilas

LaCasaDeTequilas

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

• Travel by Steamship or Airplane Adults traveling into California from a foreign country by steamship or airplane may bring with them a reasonable amount of alcoholic beverages for personal or household use. A reasonable amount is not more than 60 liters (approximately five cases). (ABC agreement with U.S. Customs)

dammm 60 liters!!!!:o i need to go buy me some more luggage!!!!:D

Edited by LaCasaDeTequilas, 24 June 2010 - 07:57 PM.

#14 LaCasaDeTequilas

LaCasaDeTequilas

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

thanks *45* for posting this.

-lcdt

#15 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:27 PM

• Travel by Steamship or Airplane Adults traveling into California from a foreign country by steamship or airplane may bring with them a reasonable amount of alcoholic beverages for personal or household use. A reasonable amount is not more than 60 liters (approximately five cases). (ABC agreement with U.S. Customs)

FYI, you are allowed up to 60L on a plane, but the FTA, and certain airlines have their own rules and regulations. I've had good luck with Alaska, but heard bad things from other airlines. That's not to say I've brought back 60L, trust me, I wanted to, but I've only gotten up to 23 bottles in my luggage -- and I felt that I was pushin' it with that.

#16 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:19 PM

23 bottes!!|HAhahahaha

*45* is an AGAVE Olympian!

#17 Tequila4me

Tequila4me

• Agave friends
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

LCDT, I tend to go south of the border about twice a month and I try to bring as much Tequila as I can afford.
45* WoW!!!.........23 bottles??? Man you really pushed it :D

#18 Desmadre

Desmadre

Newcomer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:30 PM

Anyone have any experience with bringing unlabled bottles of Mezcal across the border? Not the recycled plastic 2 liter soda bottles, but unlabled non commercially sealed glass bottles??

Also, in regards to the ABC what counts as a "common carrier" and is this a service that can be hired?? Anyone with experience/luck in this department?

I have a buddy visiting, who has lived his entire life in Oaxaca and has some amazing mezca I hope we can get across the border!!!

Edited by Desmadre, 03 September 2011 - 06:30 PM.

#19 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:20 AM

Anyone have any experience with bringing unlabled bottles of Mezcal across the border? Not the recycled plastic 2 liter soda bottles, but unlabled non commercially sealed glass bottles??

Also, in regards to the ABC what counts as a "common carrier" and is this a service that can be hired?? Anyone with experience/luck in this department?

I have a buddy visiting, who has lived his entire life in Oaxaca and has some amazing mezca I hope we can get across the border!!!

sorry for the lack of response Desmadre. have your friend print out a basic label. they wont really care - just as long as it does not break and spill on anyones stuff.

"common carrier" would be a plane, train (if there was one that crossed the border) or cruise ship - not a cigar boat, panga, yacht, etc...

how many your friend can bring across, depends on the state that he is entering.

hope you get/got some good juice!

#20 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

• Non-California residents crossing the international border in a vehicle that is not a common carrier can bring with them a reasonable quantity of alcoholic beverages (up to five cases or 60 liters) provided the beverages are for personal or household use.

has anyone ever done this?

#21 Carlos Cli

Carlos Cli

Newcomer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

Thanks

Hello

About shipping Mezcal to the US,  we will be launching a brand new line of Premium Mezcals, rated amongst the best in the world (if not the very best)

And we will be shipping our products to the US, so if you're interested let me know and I'll be more than willing to supply for you and your friends or relatives. 

Have a great day

Carlos Cli

#22 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

Welcome Carlos! Thanks for letting us know. Please keep us posted on the availability of your mezcals. I for one would be very interested in trying them. Can you give us any specifics on them (brand name, location, agave type, strength, etc.)?