Distillery: Mezcal Reunion, SA de CV, Oaxaca
Lot: 03 ENV
Distillations: 2
Type: anejo
Gusano: No
Proof: 80
Closure: wood-topped cork stopper.
Agave: 100% Espadin and Tovala (sic)

Other: Classy bottle, though not hand-blown. Actually, this is a plus - I'd rather pay for the spirit than the marketing. "Sixteenth Century production tradition." Distillation is done in "traditional Oaxacan ceramic and bamboo alembics." Cool! Never knew there was bamboo in Oaxaca. Plus, they get a bonus for mentioning the words "treasured juices" together in a sentence.
Visual: Very clear, an impressive amount of very fine fiber sediment, gold color. Nice legs.
Nose: Big, spicy, almost licorice agave pungency first and foremost. Nuts, orange blossom and vanilla come after, and complement rather than overtake the agave. Coconut and honey. I don't know why, but I want to be on the beach in Mexico right about now.
Body/Taste: Thick, coating feel. Some definite saltiness - maybe that's where the beach came from. Agave surges, then recedes in favor of wood and vanilla.
Aftertaste/Finish: Pleasant agave and coconut aftertaste, with an unusual sweet/salt interplay that reminds me of butterscotch or sea salt caramels. Soft, gentle alcohol warmth.
Overall Impression: Top shelf mezcal that retains small-production appeal. $44.99 at Ramirez Liquor will buy you what I can only guess is a "traditional" mezcal anejo. It reminds me a bit of El Tesoro de Don Filipe anejo, which is one of my favorite tequilas. It's got a raw agave core, but lots of complexity and smoothness surrounding. There seems to be no smoke at all, but this does not detract; it just seems to again blur the lines between mezcal and tequila, though I realize the latter is merely a subset of the former.

The salt is strong in this one - a presence I've not felt in mezcal since...

Rating: Very Good

Attached Files

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 27 January 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#2 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:26 AM

too CITRUS-astringent for me..

#3 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:38 AM

Lippy,
Hmm, I did get some astringency in one of the other mezcals I tried, but not this one - salt, definitely, but that savory character could in no way be confused with the puckery sensation of astringency. At least to my palate. Citrus, you might be able to make a case for, not in the sense of sourness, but perhaps as a sweet orange or orange peel nuance. Anybody else who's had this want to chime in? I'll try it again and see if I detect any of this astringency.
G

#4 gabe

gabe

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:53 PM

Anybody else who's had this want to chime in?

Hi Guy,

Just noticed all the mezcal reviews you posted in the last few months. Thanks for sharing your opinions! :)

My review for Don Amado is under the thread "Don Amado Mezcal Anejo", so you can read it there (be sure to check for an existing thread before starting a new one; this makes it easier to find information when browsing the forum). It's probably my favorite mezcal, irrespective of price.

From reading your reviews, it sounds like you have a high tolerance for smoke. What are some mezcals (or other spirits) which you consider to have a lot of smoke?

#5 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for the posting - your reviews are what inspired me to post my own.

*From reading your reviews, it sounds like you have a high tolerance for smoke. What are some mezcals (or other spirits) which you consider to have a lot of smoke?*

Uh - Lagavulin? Talisker? I actually noticed a good bit of smoke in Benesin and Los Danzantes Joven, but I really didn't get much with this one. Not sure if it varies batch to batch - is that possible?

Sorry about the double post on Don Amado - rookie error. I'll be sure to use the search engine before posting more reviews. Didn't get the dry, chalky finish you got (although maybe that's what I detected as saltiness), and obviously didn't catch the smoke.

I actually have an order placed with Ramirez for two more mezcals, both con gusano: Lajita and Nabani. Mezcalerokuam posted a review of Lajita here:

http://www.ianchadwi...-lajita-mezcal/

but I have not been able to find anything about Nabani, so I hope it's OK - a $25.99 gamble.

#6 gabe

gabe

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

I actually have an order placed with Ramirez for two more mezcals, both con gusano: Lajita and Nabani. Mezcalerokuam posted a review of Lajita here:

Good luck with that! :D I avoid any mezcal with a gusano. Never had one worth drinking.

I was sampling some mezcal to a Scotch drinker this weekend, and he said, "This [Don Amado anejo] reminds me of Lagavulin." My friend Chris, who also likes Don Amado, loves Lagavulin. Probably not a coincidence..

#7 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 617 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:54 PM

A few weeks back, last month really, I tasted DA-A and I was totally surprised... it was quite drinkable; nothing like its "father," DA-B... I would drink this one again if offered... it was mellow and fruity, closer to an aged tequila than I would have expected. YMMV.

#8 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

Good luck with that! :D I avoid any mezcal with a gusano. Never had one worth drinking.

I was sampling some mezcal to a Scotch drinker this weekend, and he said, "This [Don Amado anejo] reminds me of Lagavulin." My friend Chris, who also likes Don Amado, loves Lagavulin. Probably not a coincidence..

Actually the Lajita was better than I expected (review posted). I bear no grub grudges, as long as it's 100% agave, which I think most Mezcals are. But having said that, I will probably avoid Con Gusanos in the future.

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 22 July 2010 - 09:18 AM.