4 replies to this topic

#1 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

Brand Name: Mezcal Embajador de Oaxaca
Distillery: Arte Oaxaqueno de Mezcal S. de R.L. MI., Domicilio Conocido, Santa Maria Ecatepec, Yautepec
Distillations: 2
Type: reposado (I think - no indication on bottle, but it pours a very light yellow-beige). The photo on Ramirez Liquor's website indicated a bottle with an "anejo" neck label and a darker color than this stuff, so I'm pretty sure that was a mistake. For $25.99, I was ready to take the risk.
Gusano: No
Proof: 80
Closure: plastic spout
Agave: 100% agave
Other: "natural product of Mexico"

Visual: Brilliant, no sediment, straw-colored as mentioned. Sturdy legs, and lots of 'em.

Nose: Smooth, definitely some wood aging here. Nice vanilla-caramel notes precede the agave, which smells more like blue agave than Espadin. No smoke.

Body/Taste: If it didn't say "100% agave" on the label, I would suspect the distiller of doctoring this spirit with caramel. But those intrepid Oaxacans know their mezcal a sight better than I do, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt - they just make a super-smooth mezcal. Leans toward a very nice reposado tequila, in fact. Clean, maybe not exactly sophisticated, but definitely clean, light and buttery on the palate, much like a Lowland Scotch. I hate to say "too clean," but Embajador just seems to lack all the clay pot/roasted agave/fruit/alcohol/wood smoke complexity compared to many of the small village still joven mezcals. Even on the palate, smoke is virtually absent. Low viscosity.

Aftertaste/Finish: Judging this after the San Juan del Rio (not DM) was probably not a good idea, because frankly, this seems watered down. Obviously at 80 proof, it's not going to have the same fiery spirit, but I was expecting a bit more agave character and complexity. I don't mind the lack of smoke, but it's so smooth and woody, I'm almost thinking I'd like to mix it with the aforementioned mezcal, which was a bit too aggressive. It does have a nice, gentle, smooth agave aftertaste; I'll give it that. To be perfectly fair, this would be a great introduction to mezcal, especially if the drinker was a fan of aged tequilas. My Mom loves Macallan. I would pour her a glass of this. Me, I happen to prefer the blancos because I want to taste the agave, not the barrel - there are many other spirits out there (conac, scotch, bourbon & brandy, to name a few) that are distilled from relatively boring fermentables (barley, corn, grapes) and REQUIRE wood aging for complexity. I can't grow maguey in my back yard and create a spirit like mezcal, (not that I *cough* would EVER do so with the others) which makes mezcal a pretty special and exotic spirit. Why cover up its nature and try to "smooth it out" with cask-extractive congeners? But I digress.

Rating: Good. I like Talapa better, but it's close. Of course, during a tasting, if you want to get the rest of the tequila crowd into mezcal, this is what you want to pour first - safe, smooth and familiar.

Attached Files

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 27 January 2011 - 11:03 AM.

#2 gabe

gabe

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

Type: reposado (I think - no indication on bottle, but it pours a very light yellow-beige). The photo on Ramirez Liquor's website indicated a bottle with an "anejo" neck label and a darker color than this stuff, so I'm pretty sure that was a mistake. For $25.99, I was ready to take the risk.

I think you're right, you have a reposado. I have all three; the blanco has a neck label that says "BLANCO", while the reposado and anejo have no aging labels on the bottle, but the color makes it very obvious. (Also, the anejo came in a box that is labeled "ANEJO").

So far I've found the repo and anejo to be fine but nothing special. However, the blanco is quite good IMHO. I can't remember exactly what I liked about it, but I remember me and several friends all enjoyed it last time the bottle came out.

#3 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

I think you're right, you have a reposado. I have all three; the blanco has a neck label that says "BLANCO", while the reposado and anejo have no aging labels on the bottle, but the color makes it very obvious. (Also, the anejo came in a box that is labeled "ANEJO").

So far I've found the repo and anejo to be fine but nothing special. However, the blanco is quite good IMHO. I can't remember exactly what I liked about it, but I remember me and several friends all enjoyed it last time the bottle came out.

Anyone looking for a GREAT deal on Embajador Blanco should check out K&L Wines:
https://www.klwines....asp?sku=1058464

$19.99 a bottle while they last! Might just order myself one on Gabe's recommendation!

#4 totallytequila

totallytequila

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:50 PM

Anyone looking for a GREAT deal on Embajador Blanco should check out K&L Wines:
https://www.klwines....asp?sku=1058464

$19.99 a bottle while they last! Might just order myself one on Gabe's recommendation!

I would have jumped on that deal but they won't ship to Florida! :cry:

#5 gabe

gabe

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

Hmm.. seems that this brand is popping up in a few places now? After buying a bottle in San Diego area years ago and never seeing it again, I came across Embajador blanco once again near where I live. I picked up a bottle for ~$25.

I have to say, I think this is a great blanco mezcal, esp for the price. No, it's not crazy sophisticated or complex like Del Maguey or Danzantes, but it's macho, flavorful, and just rock-solid. Highly recommended by yours truly. :D