Brand Name: San Juan del Rio Mezcal
Distillery: Nolasco's Spirits, Santa Rosa, California
Distillations: 2
Type: blanco
Gusano: No
Proof: 96
Closure: plastic spout
Agave: 100% blue agave

Other: 10% of proceeds go to benefit education for children in Oaxaca.

Visual: Brilliant, very light, fine sediment, not as viscous as other mezcals, a few big, lasting bubbles. Long, slow legs.
Nose: Really reminds me of a good plata tequila - not much smoke at all in the aroma, but a good, clean dose of blue agave.
Body/Taste: Initial coating sweetness, then heat and spicy agave with a better smoke expression late.
Aftertaste/Finish: Very warm finish, numbing alcohol tickles the nose, but there is a good tequila-like agave aftertaste that lingers.
Overall Impression: Another great bang-for-the-buck drink from the makers of Benesin. This non-organic offering really packs a high proof, but has a raw appeal as a working man's (and women's) drink, like its brother. Without the forwardness of the raw agave, and with a bit less smoke. I'd almost be convinced the pinas are steamed rather than wood fire roasted, but there are some background smoky notes if you look for them. Another $25.99 bottle worth looking for - I bought this one from Ramirez Liquors. It leaked a bit during shipping (going from CA to CO, this is more a symptom of altitude than the closure, although they could have made it a tighter seal than a simple plastic screw cap) but I'm quite happy with this. Between the two, I think Benesin edges it out, just for the agave character. But if you're big on lip buzz, this is the preferred tipple. Still, pretty nice for nearly 50% alcohol.

UPDATE: Ramirez doesn't ship anymore, as of 3/2011.

Rating: Very Good. Bang-for-the-buck rating: Excellent.

Attached Files

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 05 May 2011 - 05:07 PM.