• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:02 PM

Apologies to Iron Chef for the double review - should have posted this on his LDJ post.

Brand Name: Los Danzantes Joven
Distillery: Destileria Los Danzantes, Pino Suarez S/N Santiago, Mazatlan, Oaxaca (Imported by Del Maguey)
Lot: 008
Bottle#: 632/1660
Distillations: ?
Type: blanco
Gusano: No
Proof: 84
Closure: ceramic swing-top
Agave: 100% Espadin

Other: Classy bottle. Sturdy, simple design, and has good re-use potential. Olive oil maybe, or hot sauce.

Visual: Brilliant, very light fiber sediment, oily appearance, no bubbles. Nice legs.
Nose: Floral, almost buttery bouquet, a bit of sweetness, very background smoke. Wow. Refined.
Body/Taste: Nice viscosity, very forward sweetness with a clean agave flavor. Nuts, toffee, honey, fruit. This continues to impress.
Aftertaste/Finish: Smoooth, warming finish with a bit of chalk or clay and a smoke-tinged agave. If I didn't know this was a blanco I would guess anejo - it really tastes like it's been aged a long time to achieve this depth and smoothness. Blancos just don't come this smooth, but I am still new to the mezcal world, so I may have to adjust my ratings down if there are more like this one on the market.
Overall Impression: OK, this is a $65 bottle of mezcal, but it proves that you get what you pay for. Well worth the money. This is a great way to prove to skeptics that a good mezcal can be every bit as impressive, if not more so, than a good tequila. This is about my limit on what I'm willing to pay for booze, but I am very tempted to spring for the reposado. Definitely one to savor for special occasions.

Rating: Excellent. Bang-for-the-buck rating: Very Good.

Attached Files

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 05 May 2011 - 05:14 PM.