Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

Brand Name: Benesin
Distillery: Nolasco's Spirits, San Juan Del Rio, Oaxaca
Distillations: 2
Type: blanco
Gusano: No
Proof: 90
Closure: plastic spout
Agave: 100% (edit: forgot to mention that these guys use blue agave, same as they do for their higher-proof San Juan del Rio mezcal. I guess the "mezcal" distinction is more a result of process than ingredients.)

Other: USDA Organic certification, member of California Certified Organic Farmers. 10% of proceeds go to benefit education for children in Oaxaca.

Visual: Brilliant, very light fiber sediment, oily appearance, a few big, lasting bubbles. Nice legs.
Nose: vegetal agave up front, good, forward smoke, a hint of brassiness. I get a bit of dried chile aroma (d'arbol, maybe) as it breathes awhile.
Body/Taste: slight viscosity, brief sweetness on palate overtaken by some good heat.
Aftertaste/Finish: Long, warming finish with a very gentle smoke. A bit more agave mash flavor with some sweetness lingers, but the heat and lip buzz are pretty forward as well.
Overall Impression: This is a great bargain at $25.99 - organically certified, complex, not nearly as smooth or sophisticated as Los Danzantes Joven, but there is a raw, spirited appeal and good agave flavor to it that makes this one of my favorites out of the six or seven that I've tried. I will definitely be getting this again. More of a relax-at-the-end-of-the-day sipper than a break-it-out-for-special-occasions mezcal, but for the price, great stuff. (I got this bottle at Ramirezliquor.com in LA - highly recommended shop, by the way.)

UPDATE: Ramirez doesn't ship anymore, as of 3/2011.

Rating: Very Good

Attached Files

Edited by Guy DeLouche, 05 May 2011 - 05:08 PM.

#2 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:54 AM

Thanks for the detailed tasting notes, GuY!