• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 617 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

I will take a stab at giving a review of this mezcal.

It has been said that if one is to taste mezcal, one should start with this particular bottle, apparently for its mellowness.

Here I go, and forgive me for not using Macho as a descriptor -- as that word has a negative c annotation in may life, but I digress.

As soon as I put my nose around the rim of the "caballito" I can detect a strong odor, not aroma (as aroma implies soft smell), of cooked mezcal; for that odor to make sense, one has to know how the mezcal is cooked. If one doesn't know, one should be reading that before coming here :)

To be fair, I get several unmistakable smells... such as citrus, smoky, mango, banana... with citrus overpowering the others.

Now- to me- it is meaningless to describe how a spirit tastes unless one has tried at least one of the kind. In this case I will use Sombra Mezcal. If you have tried Sombra, then you can magnify it to maybe the power of three and you have San Luis... it is definitely more complex than Sombra, but I have to say that I enjoyed Sombra more than SLdR... and at $42, it would be a better value than the $70 that the SLdR commands... YMMV.

#2 Los Altos

Los Altos

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:38 PM

Not a bad stab, as I understand your review. Although i really like Mezcal, I would have to say that my bar only has DM products. Unlike tequila, which i love, i really like mezcal a lot, but not enough to tolerate experimenting with other brands. Sure I will try other mexcals, but DM seems to cover all of my needs, like ET or Fortaleza. It may be a few $$ more, but I dont drink it enough for that to be an issue.

Viva la DM Tobala!!

#3 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 617 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:57 PM

Not a bad stab, as I understand your review. Although i really like Mezcal, I would have to say that my bar only has DM products. Unlike tequila, which i love, i really like mezcal a lot, but not enough to tolerate experimenting with other brands. Sure I will try other mexcals, but DM seems to cover all of my needs, like ET or Fortaleza. It may be a few $$ more, but I dont drink it enough for that to be an issue.

Viva la DM Tobala!!

Ah.... that is the beauty about Sombra... it is made by Del Maguey!

#4 don Pablo

don Pablo

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

Ah.... that is the beauty about Sombra... it is made by Del Maguey!

Now that is information I can use!

Like Los Altos, I let DM products cover my relatively minimal mezcal needs. (I have the Minero, Santo Domingo, and San Luis.) But based on the reviews, the manufacturer, the price, and the bad-a** looking bottle, some Sombra would seem to be in order.

Thanks for the reviews/info!

#5 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:31 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed tasting "Sombra" on last week's :Whisperer" show (just skip around and find the "capsule reviews" within the 3 hours! hahahahah)

It's quite "forceful' compared to the Scorpion product line.