• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bullitt

bullitt

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:22 PM

I am needing a little knowledgeable advise with my potted agave plant. It looks like its dying. I did not see this type of leaf damage at all last year and it grew 7 or 8 new leaves last summer. Those leaves, which are now the older leaves are wasting away. The only new growth so far this year seems to be fine. Is this just normal old leaves dying back? I know Virginia is not the correct region for this plant to thrive. I have been bringing it indoors during the cold and overly rainy periods and also using a plant light. I thought it had been doing pretty well given its location, but I just don't have much experience with keeping these healthy. It even has a "pup". I'm not sure how old this plant is. Should I just cut the old leaves back like I did last year. Does that help the plant be healthier? Last year the leaves I cut back just looked old and worn but not rotting. Any sugguestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 Don Azulito

Don Azulito

Transcendent Agave Master

• 1,303 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

I am needing a little knowledgeable advise with my potted agave plant. It looks like its dying. I did not see this type of leaf damage at all last year and it grew 7 or 8 new leaves last summer. Those leaves, which are now the older leaves are wasting away. The only new growth so far this year seems to be fine. Is this just normal old leaves dying back? I know Virginia is not the correct region for this plant to thrive. I have been bringing it indoors during the cold and overly rainy periods and also using a plant light. I thought it had been doing pretty well given its location, but I just don't have much experience with keeping these healthy. It even has a "pup". I'm not sure how old this plant is. Should I just cut the old leaves back like I did last year. Does that help the plant be healthier? Last year the leaves I cut back just looked old and worn but not rotting. Any sugguestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

My guess is that it's been over watered and the soil is too rich. You might consider stopping by HD, Lowes or any garden shop and getting cactus soil. It is sandy and will drain much better and have far less nutrients than does humus based soils.

Cactus potting soil link