- - - - -

Raicilla

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sue Davis_Guest

Guest_Sue Davis_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2004 - 05:50 PM

Does anyone know a source for purchasing Raicilla in the US? My father attempted to buy a bottle at Pancho's in Cabo without success

#2 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 07:05 AM

It's not always easy to find - mostly made around PV in Jalisco, I believe. There are some homebrew stills there you can visit. It's a cane liquor with a high alcohol content. I had a sip once... didn't care for it myself, but it may have been a bad day for the brewer...

(Added note... it's an agave product that's usually fermented with cane sugars...)

#3 Guest_Todd P_Guest

Guest_Todd P_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:29 AM

A friend and I stummbled across "Cafe' Tacuba" in Marina Vallarta. With every drink the owner, Victor gives a shot of some low proof tequlla. We noticed, however, he was giving select others a different shot. Once we asked he gave us, in my opinion a very good raicilla. It was fairly high proof and great to sip or shoot. the flavor was very remniscent of a tequilla cooked over a camp fire. After three vists (his food is great and cheap) he sent us back to the states with a liter for free!

While I dont suggest ruining the experiance at Tacuba for the rest of us by harrassing Victor about where to find a bottle. It is a great place to try some and once youve won his friendship he might let you know where to find it.

Though the marina is purely a tourist trap, It was a perfect place to experance a part of mexico that many dont see. Mainly the Mexican ability to build friendships that can evolve even if just for a short visit....They are such a great neighbor!

Good Luck.
-todd

#4 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:49 AM

Racilla is pretty much a regional drink made in Jalisco and areas nearby. Outside that region, a similar product is made, usually with a different name however: charanga and sotol are two such spirits. It's unlikely you'll find racilla in Cabo, although you may find a local equivalent.

#5 Guest_Guest_tom_Didymus_Guest

Guest_Guest_tom_Didymus_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:52 PM

Racilla is pretty much a regional drink made in Jalisco and areas nearby. Outside that region, a similar product is made, usually with a different name however: charanga and sotol are two such spirits. It's unlikely you'll find racilla in Cabo, although you may find a local equivalent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

La Casa del Tequila in PV sells it legally. It is labelled and stamped and goes for 200 pesos for 20ml.

#6 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:57 AM

Most Mexican states have some form of regional drink. Some have gone as far as licensing it to try to give it the same sort of cachet tequila and mezcal enjoy. You can find legally-made, bottled sotol and charanga, for example, in many places. I wasn't aware of racilla being available legally, but expected it.

Have to try to find some next time I'm in Zihua (where they make lcoal mezcal).

#7 Tequila4me

Tequila4me

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

Wow I just recently came across a bottle of Raicilla "Las Raicillas Del Real Tradicional" so I came to this topic when I was searching for raicilla and found this topic and I kind of revived it sort of speak :D so Is Raicilla that rare ???? Because if it is Then I just found something good
best regards
pedro

#8 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:36 PM

..so Is Raicilla that rare ???? Because if it is Then I just found something good..

I'll tell you how rare it is if you take me shopping with you to that SecretStore 'round San Diego!

:P

#9 Tequila4me

Tequila4me

• Agave friends
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:05 PM

I'll tell you how rare it is if you take me shopping with you to that SecretStore 'round San Diego!

:P

Sorry, Lippy a little bit too late...........I think I cleaned this place up :D they only have a couple of Old bottles Of El Charro Blanco

#10 Tequila Joe

Tequila Joe

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:58 PM

Sorry, Lippy a little bit too late...........I think I cleaned this place up :D they only have a couple of Old bottles Of El Charro Blanco

There is nothing wrong with old El Charro bottles. The older the better!

#11 Tequila4me

Tequila4me

• Agave friends
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:56 PM

There is nothing wrong with old El Charro bottles. The older the better!

You are right Tequila Joe, I think you have the repo on your website.

#12 *45*

*45*

• 1,810 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:50 AM

doing some research today, I came across these informative links

The Story of Raicilla

Travelers along the western seaboard of Mexico in the vicinity of Puerto Vallarta occasionally happen onto roadside vendors of a moonshine mezcal called Raicilla (rye-see-ya). The name Raicilla was originally used to disguise this type of mezcal in order escape restrictions on alcohol production and the related taxes. My experience has always been that the sale of Raicilla was somewhat clandestine; sales being made on side streets or in small palapas clinging to the mountainsides at the edge of town. Packaging was usually a screwtop Coke bottle or some other recyclable container and the quality of the beverage verged on the raw side. Behind the harsh flavor, there was always an interesting aftertaste that brought me back and fueled my search for a smoother more civilized Raicilla. For the past ten years I have crisscrossed Mexico looking for new tequilas and mezcals and adding to my research notes, always searching and sampling.
Recently, I discovered a legitimate producer of Raicilla, one who has combined the best of historic techniques with the advantages of modern technology. This is the "Destiladora del Real" located in the mountains above Puerto Vallarta. In the past, this area was famous for it's mining, and the well-paid miners expected their liquor to be of the best quality. The towns producing Raicilla are San Sebastian del Oeste, Hostotipaquillo, Talpa, Mascota, Atenguillo, Guachinango, and Etzatlan.

A combination of reddish brown soils, sun, and rain in this part of western Jalisco created the perfect environment for the growth of the Agave Lechuguilla which is the sugar source for Raicilla. This agave is a member of the botanical Group Crenatae and is identified as Agave Inaequidens or Agave Maximiliana, commonly known as "Pata de Mula" (Mules Foot). Agave Lechugilla is somewhat smaller than the agaves that pulque and tequila are made from.

As the agave matures it begins to put up a flowering stalk (quiote); this is cut off so that all of the plants sugars are directed to the heart. About the 8th to 10th year the plant matures and is harvested by "Jimadores" who cut away the spiny outer leaves with long handled knives (coas). The heart of the plant that remains looks like a pineapple and in fact is called a "piņa". These piņas, weighing about one hundred pounds, are taken from the fields to the "taberna" where Raicilla processing takes place. Every step of this process is done completely by hand. The piņas are placed in large wood fired brick ovens (hornos) where they are cooked for 24 hours. After cooking they are chopped into chunks with machetes and beaten into a pulp with large wooden mallets (mazos) in a wooden tray called a"batea". The crushed agave and juice is placed in 100 liter wooden vats with copper bottoms (perols) where it ferments with the natural plant yeasts for 7 &endash; 9 days. After fermentation is complete a cap is placed on the vat and sealed with adobe mud, this is connected to a copper distillation coil and the vat heated. After distilling for about 8 hours, the resulting distillate is a high quality, 100% natural Raicilla known as "Las Raicillas del Real".

To appreciate the efforts that go into a "boutique" Raicilla, consider that it takes 15 pounds of agave to produce 1 liter of Raicilla and that only 50 liters of distillate are made every 24 hours. Traditionally, the first few drops of distillate that emerge are tossed in the air, if it evaporates before landing, the brew is good.

Raicilla can be consumed straight in a "Caballito" (tequila shot glass), but is more commonly served chilled in a wineglass, over the rocks, or with Squirt or some type of grapefruit soda.

The Destiladora del Real is located at Cimarron Chico in the Municipio of Mascota, State of Jalisco. This fine Raicilla is bottled in traditional bottles of clear or frosted glass. The "Producion Limitada" is 72 proof and the "Tradicional" is 80 proof.

Las Raicillas del Real is sold exclusively at Pancho's Restaurant in Cabo San Lucas.

A popular saying of the Mexican people is:

"Para Todo Mal, Mezcal y Para Todo Bien Tambien"
(For everything bad, Mezcal and for everything good too)