Photo
- - - - -

Orendain Ollitas 100% Agave

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Ratings

Nose

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Body/Taste

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Aftertaste/Finish

Overall Impression

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Iron Chef

Iron Chef

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:09 PM

OK I am completely prepared to take a hit on this review... I have seen only a few positive comments about this tequila (and the names of the innocent need to be protected). I ordered three low end products along with my usual favorites and received the delivery today. One of those was Ollitas. I was certain I would not like this tequila and fully understand some hate it with a passion. What I found was a tequila that on first taste is unremarkable and not one of the sweeter repos I have had recently... the nose unoffensive... the attack, not harsh, but far from the smoothest and the finish was slightly burnt sugar and a very mild bitterness. That was the first impression... then I tried two other tequilas and came back to it... I still find the nose OK but not remarkable at all... the initial attack is good... nice touch of the wood... not too much... not overly sweet (as in manipulated)... more honest, and straight forward... then I noticed it... roasted, and almost, slightly burnt agave on the finish. So I tried it again... no mistake... it reminded me of eating the roasted agave fresh from the first tour. I was very surprised by this impression... it is unmistakable for me as I taste it slightly on the body and then without doubt on the exhale/finish... Really good for a $10 tequila!!!

Another forum member posted a few positive comments on this tequila and I figured "what the heck" let's give it a chance... I am glad I did :t_up: This tequila will not compare to some of the rock stars of the tequila world... but pound per pound (dollar per dollar) I believe it is a solid choice for the price, and from the bottle I have open, definately not a BAD tequila! I will try it in a Marg and report back.

So that is it... I look forward to other impressions (good and bad) and understand this tequila will be swimming upstream in the majority of opinions :)
Regards, Tim

Ohh my ratings were:
Nose Fair
Body/Taste Good
Aftertaste/Finish Very Good
Overall Impression Good

#2 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:32 PM

This tequila will not compare to some of the rock stars of the tequila world... but pound per pound (dollar per dollar) I believe it is a solid choice for the price, and from the bottle I have open, definately not a BAD tequila! I will try it in a Marg and report back.

I concur. I have stocked up on this product if for no other reason than for a solid party margarita tequila. For ten bucks, not bad. And Tim, I have found it as low as $7.99. Party on!!

#3 Iron Chef

Iron Chef

• Agave friends
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:48 PM

This tequila will not compare to some of the rock stars of the tequila world... but pound per pound (dollar per dollar) I believe it is a solid choice for the price, and from the bottle I have open, definately not a BAD tequila! I will try it in a Marg and report back.

I concur. I have stocked up on this product if for no other reason than for a solid party margarita tequila. For ten bucks, not bad. And Tim, I have found it as low as $7.99. Party on!!

Right on BP... and by the way, thanks for the tip! Not many folks recommended this tequila but I was encouraged to see a few positive comments and it influenced my "pulling the trigger" on getting a bottle... appreciate your willingness to share a tip that might go against the accepted "Party line" :t_up:

Now $7.99 that's a STEAL :fire1: sign me up!

Regards, Tim

#4 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:54 PM

Right on BP... and by the way, thanks for the tip! Not many folks recommended this tequila but I was encouraged to see a few positive comments and it influenced my "pulling the trigger" on getting a bottle... appreciate your willingness to share a tip that might go against the accepted "Party line" :t_up:

Now $7.99 that's a STEAL :fire1: sign me up!

Regards, Tim

And as a side note for all you Tour veterans, they do pour it at La Capilla in Tequila!!!

#5 Don Azulito

Don Azulito

• 1,303 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:05 PM

What I think it most amazing about this juice is the very real smell of baked agave! Most tequila has hints of this odor, but with one whiff of this juice you're thrown back to the that smell of a freshly opened steam oven filled with cooked agave! Not quite sure how they're able to capture that essence but somehow they have. Well worth the ~$10 a bottle, IMO :t_up: :t_up:

#6 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:34 PM

What I think it most amazing about this juice is the very real smell of baked agave! Most tequila has hints of this odor, but with one whiff of this juice you're thrown back to the that smell of a freshly opened steam oven filled with cooked agave! Not quite sure how they're able to capture that essence but somehow they have. Well worth the ~$10 a bottle, IMO :t_up: :t_up:

AZ, as you know, until you have the opportunity to taste "da kine", one really doesn't understand. Not trying to be arrogant, just stating fact.