Photo
- - - - -

Metl 2012 Anejo

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Poll: Metl 2012 Mezcal Anejo

Nose

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Body/Taste

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Aftertaste/Finish

Overall Impression

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 gabe

gabe

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:12 AM

Metl 2012 Anejo
NOM O01X
No Producer Listed

Golden. Viscous with medium, slow legs. The aroma is macho with typical alcohol burn. Sweet, moderate agave (espadin, with a "green" feel), moderate wood, and some earthiness. Heavy smoke and a little "mush".

The taste has moderate intensity and burn, and continues to be sweet. Medium mouth feel. Moderate agave and wood, fairly smoky, a little fruit (apple?), and maybe a little buttery. The finish has lighter intensity and burn and becomes a little bitter. Light agave, moderate wood and smoke, and some mush. Shorter duration.

This is a decent mezcal, but the smoke and sweetness feel kind of forced, and the finish doesn't feel well put together. It's very heavy on the smoke; you can decide whether that is good or bad. Try It.

My Ratings:
Nose: Good
Body/Taste: Good
Aftertaste/Finish: Fair
Overall Impression: Good

#2 mezcalerokuam

mezcalerokuam

Newcomer

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:00 AM

I'm finishing a bottle of the Metl 2012 Mezcal Aņejo right now....I not quite getting the bitterness on the back end. Maybe I have too much of it in my system already! I too detect a fruity dimension...I was leaning toward a light/subtle "apricot" but maybe that's the slight "buttery" aspect you picked up. Man, mezcal is a tough drink for me to describe. Definitely a fruit component, I just can nail down what it is. There is so much going on!

For a longer "tasting" session, I would have to say that within the current Metl 2012 Mezcal line, I would prefer the Metl 2012 Mezcal Reposado. It sort of tastes like the aņejo might just have more smokiness to it, but also oak wood - the primary difference just being the aging, but I'm not positive. The aņejo color is quite a bit darker than the reposado....

Gabe, generally speaking, I would concur with your ratings, but add that for a mid-range-priced Mezcal, this is not a bad one to have in the collection, and might go well with certain food pairings...something deserving of more exploration.