Photo
- - - - -

Don Amado Mezcal Reposado

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Poll: Don Amado Mezcal Reposado

Nose

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Body/Taste

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Aftertaste/Finish

Aftertaste/Finish

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 gabe

gabe

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:52 PM

Don Amado Mezcal Reposado
Mezcal Reunion
Lot 3-7513

Straw yellow. Light viscosity with a few legs. The aroma is muy macho with typical alcohol and neutral sweetness. Muy macho, suave agave, rich earth and dirt, light wood, moderate citrus, and moderate smoke. Incredible comlpexity.

The flavor is macho with moderate burn and neutral sweetness. Macho agave (a very "green" feel), some earth and clay, strong tangy citrus, and moderate smoke. The finish is macho with moderate burn, and becomes a little bitter. Moderate agave, earth, moderate citrus, and light smoke. Long duration.

What can I say? I love this mezcal. It's my favorite mezcal reposado at the moment, though Los Danzantes and Del Maestro are not far behind. The stunning complexity and bold agave puts many other mezcals to shame. This is a spirit with cajones.

Having said that, a couple people here have tried the plata, which is very similar, based on my recommendation and could not finish it. The citrus elements from the agave do come through pretty strong, and I think these are either an acquired taste or just not for everyone. So, do Try It, but proceed with caution before you pony up for an entire bottle.

My Ratings:
Nose: Excellent
Body/Taste: Very Good
Aftertaste/Finish: Excellent
Overall Impression: Excellent

#2 gabe

gabe

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:23 PM

I should add, however, that I think Don Amado anejo is the best of the lineup. The reposado improves on the blanco (better balance) without really losing anything, and the anejo improves on the reposado further, still without much lost. So for the Don Amado lineup, I would suggest starting with the anejo if you can.