Photo
- - - - -

Los Danzantes Mezcal Reposado

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Los Danzantes Mezcal Reposado

Nose

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Body/Taste

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Aftertaste/Finish

Overall Impression

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 gabe

gabe

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:27 PM

Destileria Los Danzantes
Lot 001, Bot No 1038

Golden brown color. Light viscosity with no legs. The aroma is macho and lightly sweet with a typical amount of alcohol. Agave is moderate and suave, with kind of a "green" feel to it, probably because it is 100% espadin maguey. It is fairly woody, with kind of a "toasty" feel to it. Moderate smoke.

The taste is macho, a bit hot, and lightly sweet. Medium mouth feel, moderate agave and strong wood. There is nice compleixty and a good balance between the wood and agave. The finish has macho intensity and moderate burn, and becomes less sweet. Moderate agave, strong wood, and medium duration.

This is a pretty nice mezcal, and one that is more accessible than some because it is not too smoky and the agave is mellowed some by the aging. I think it has good complexity and great balance, and thus is very drinkable. It definitely leans more on the aged side of mezcals, so it's less of a kick in the pants than some of the more macho unaged mezcals. Buy It.

My Ratings:
Nose: Excellent
Body/Taste: Excellent
Aftertaste/Finish: Very Good
Overall Impression: Excellent

#2 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:35 PM

My ratings mirror Gabe's. I am very impressed with this mezcal. Thanks to Gabe for giving me the chance to taste. :t_up:

I had my first taste of mezcal on the first tour and at the end of the tour at that. I was worn out and exhausted and unfortunely I did not enjoy the DM tasting.(nice buzz though, right Nick ;) ) I forget what Ron called it, the squintie eye happy thing.

I got a chance to pick up some DM cheap and have tasted again and am enjoying it much more.

Anyways on to the Mezcal at hand. Gabe has done a good job of describing this Mezcal. Color is spot on. I get the blend of agave smoke and sligt carmel on the nose.

Taste is slightly sweet mild agave and wood. Finishes warm and tingly in a nice way. Tiny bit of bitterness on the finish.

All in all a top notch Mezcal. When its gone I'll be looking for another.... :)

#3 Adam

Adam

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:53 PM

I am revisiting my LD Repo tonight after reading this. I loved it when I first tried it and I love it now. I think I get even more enjoyment out of it because of the great color. Truly one of the prettiest spirits to look at while sipping!

#4 Iron Chef

Iron Chef

• Agave friends
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:03 PM

Destileria Los Danzantes
Lot 001, Bot No 1038

Golden brown color. Light viscosity with no legs. The aroma is macho and lightly sweet with a typical amount of alcohol. Agave is moderate and suave, with kind of a "green" feel to it, probably because it is 100% espadin maguey. It is fairly woody, with kind of a "toasty" feel to it. Moderate smoke.

The taste is macho, a bit hot, and lightly sweet. Medium mouth feel, moderate agave and strong wood. There is nice compleixty and a good balance between the wood and agave. The finish has macho intensity and moderate burn, and becomes less sweet. Moderate agave, strong wood, and medium duration.

This is a pretty nice mezcal, and one that is more accessible than some because it is not too smoky and the agave is mellowed some by the aging. I think it has good complexity and great balance, and thus is very drinkable. It definitely leans more on the aged side of mezcals, so it's less of a kick in the pants than some of the more macho unaged mezcals. Buy It.

My Ratings:
Nose: Excellent
Body/Taste: Excellent
Aftertaste/Finish: Very Good
Overall Impression: Excellent

Gabe, I just had a chance to "crack" my bottle, and I would say that for the most part I think your description is dead on so I will only add perceptions that may differ or add to what you have already said. I agree there is a good amount of wood that really helps balance the overall impression... I really like smoke in my mezcal and I found the smoke to be present on the nose (but not dominant) subdued on the attack (but present) and lingering on the finish and aftertaste (all in moderation)... the saving grace was the slightly hot feel and lip buzz that I really appreciated! ... a really good/great mezcal, even though I typically prefer the silver/blanco/unaged mezcals. I think your "good complexity and great balance" observation is :t_up:

I would add that the wood does not feel "manipulated" or "enhanced"... I am still not sure I like the aged mezcals as much as the unaged but this is a solid mezcal worthy of any bar! Another thing I appreciate is the bottle design... easy to hold, a simple but distinctive, elegant design... and I really appreciate the top... not a cork with the issues that can come with a cork... not a screw top that some feel can contribute to a "cheap" feel... but a nice "Grolsch" type wire lid with a gasket (not typically found on tequila or mezcal bottles)... I think that works really well and prefer to a cork on this particular bottle.

Anyway nice review and now I shall have a clay cup of LDMR just because!!! Regards,
Tim

#5 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

Finally got my hands on a bottle of this stuff. Definitely some cognac woody sweetness going on in the background, very anejo-like for a reposado. I appreciated how well the smoke worked with the mellow sweetness of the wood aging. More sophisticated than the Danzantes Blanco, but for me, not quite as good. Seems like it's lost a bit of bite during the aging. That said, I think this compares favorably to some of the better Islay Scotches out there. That smoke and oak barrel sweetness makes for an impressive aftertaste, and boy, it stays with you. Big thumbs up from me.

#6 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:05 AM

Not really adding tasting notes here -- just relaying some experiences. Don't give me no hassle. :glare: Tried the LD repo in Las Vegas a few months ago and really liked it. Was disappointed when it was out of stock at La Europea in Los Cabos last week, but picked up Alipus Joven (from Los Danzantes), which is lower in cost and very good. :t_up:

Tried the LD blanco in a bar in Los Cabos, and liked that a lot too. Then tried an aged LD. (I gotta stop writing LD, it's lame, and it makes me think of Leon from Curb Your Enthusiasm. Actually, that's a good thing. I digress.) No indication if it was repo or anejo, just a tax stamp from 2003. Also liked it a lot, though would have enjoyed a bit more punch. Going from memory here, but it seemed a bit more muted than the repo I had a few months ago. Maybe the anejo? I probably should have spent more time on it. And don't get me wrong -- I really enjoyed it. I'll be asking for LD for Father's Day this year for sure. :D

#7 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

Sorry to hear you didn't get any Repo, when I was there there was still a few bottles there. I picked up the Anejo so you can't blame the shortage on me. :) You grabbed the Alipus Joven, man i was eyeing those up almost grabbed a bottle, kicking myself I didn't.

Not really adding tasting notes here -- just relaying some experiences. Don't give me no hassle. :glare: Tried the LD repo in Las Vegas a few months ago and really liked it. Was disappointed when it was out of stock at La Europea in Los Cabos last week, but picked up Alipus Joven (from Los Danzantes), which is lower in cost and very good. :t_up:

Tried the LD blanco in a bar in Los Cabos, and liked that a lot too. Then tried an aged LD. (I gotta stop writing LD, it's lame, and it makes me think of Leon from Curb Your Enthusiasm. Actually, that's a good thing. I digress.) No indication if it was repo or anejo, just a tax stamp from 2003. Also liked it a lot, though would have enjoyed a bit more punch. Going from memory here, but it seemed a bit more muted than the repo I had a few months ago. Maybe the anejo? I probably should have spent more time on it. And don't get me wrong -- I really enjoyed it. I'll be asking for LD for Father's Day this year for sure. :D

#8 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

OK, now you've got me curious about this Alipus line from "LD."
This guy writes about it in his blog:

http://www.braisingc...y-first-mezcal/

(Love the Ron Cooper plug in the comments!)

And what were the other ones? Emmascarado? And an Espadin, couldn't read the name.

Looks like Alipus comes in San Juan Del Rio, Santa Ana Del Rio, San Baltazar and San Andreas regional varieties, and there's another Danzantes line just called 'Mezcal Agave Mexicano' with Michoacan, Geurrero and Zacatecas regional varieties, all jovens.

#9 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:43 PM

Sorry to hear you didn't get any Repo, when I was there there was still a few bottles there. I picked up the Anejo so you can't blame the shortage on me. :) You grabbed the Alipus Joven, man i was eyeing those up almost grabbed a bottle, kicking myself I didn't.

It's all good -- glad you got some anejo. It appears Cabo will be a yearly destination, so I'll pick some up next time (if there). And definitely more of its cheaper cousin, Alipus. On this past trip, my other score was Los Abuelos Lot 5 reposado. And a 7L D'A for good measure. Everything else I got (7LR/A, some other stuff) was only purchased because it was cheap (~half U.S. prices). Nothing to get overly excited about. For that matter, I could just hop on line and get LD -- but where's the sport in that?

For the good of the order, the Alipus I got was the San Baltazar. Slightly velvety mouth feel, but no lack of machismo. Compared favorably to Sombra, IMO.
  • Guy DeLouche likes this

#10 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:58 PM

Who knew so many of us would become MezHeads!

#11 Guy DeLouche

Guy DeLouche

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:32 AM

It appears Cabo will be a yearly destination, so I'll pick some up next time (if there). And definitely more of its cheaper cousin, Alipus.

Any chance you could bring back an extra bottle or two? I'd make it worth your while... Posted Image

#12 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

Any chance you could bring back an extra bottle or two? I'd make it worth your while... Posted Image

Yeah, maybe! :D They are not the most sturdy bottles, so ideally I'd like to find styrofoam shippers that are tall enough. I brought down a styrofoam 3-pack, but they weren't tall enough for Alipus. (I found other bottles to stick in there! B)) I also brought down those Milagro hard plastic bottle containers (common present for me, it seems) -- also too short (and also filled nonetheless).

Anyway, PM me if you could. I started sending you a PM yesterday, but got derailed.

#13 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 617 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

Let me ask a silly question: what exactly do you guys mean by *machismo* in a mezcal... I can only relate to this word to a person, AND not in a favorable way... I often thought you guys meant *strong*... if that is the case why not use that instead of machismo? Wondering mind wants to know.

#14 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

Let me ask a silly question: what exactly do you guys mean by *machismo* in a mezcal... I can only relate to this word to a person, AND not in a favorable way... I often thought you guys meant *strong*... if that is the case why not use that instead of machismo? Wondering mind wants to know.

When I am in Mexico, I always hear "fuerte". That might be what I am looking for. But I don't know, that seems to be as overused as "smooth". Either way, strong can work, but vodka can be strong -- and it can't be whatever word or phrase I am looking for. Something that roughs me up a bit, lets me know I drank it, somewhere south of abrasive, maybe a bit west of rough. Something that laughs at "triple-distilled" and spits on branch water. Heavy on character, light on filters, resonating in throat and mind.

Does that help? :lmao: Just trying to continue my long-standing tradition of "describing" drinks without using an real taste "descriptors". I sometimes forget to add disclaimers to my posts, but I think I started this thread with the appropriate one. Either way, no offense meant! I hope the (poor) use of the word does not detract from your drinking pleasure. I have had that happen when people ascribe certain flavors or foods towards drinks I once enjoyed. :(

#15 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:12 PM

When I am in Mexico, I always hear "fuerte". That might be what I am looking for. But I don't know, that seems to be as overused as "smooth". Either way, strong can work, but vodka can be strong -- and it can't be whatever word or phrase I am looking for. Something that roughs me up a bit, lets me know I drank it, somewhere south of abrasive, maybe a bit west of rough. Something that laughs at "triple-distilled" and spits on branch water. Heavy on character, light on filters, resonating in throat and mind.

Does that help? :lmao: Just trying to continue my long-standing tradition of "describing" drinks without using an real taste "descriptors". I sometimes forget to add disclaimers to my posts, but I think I started this thread with the appropriate one. Either way, no offense meant! I hope the (poor) use of the word does not detract from your drinking pleasure. I have had that happen when people ascribe certain flavors or foods towards drinks I once enjoyed. :(

Welcome back pilgrim. Even though your notes are about as useless as mine, it's nice to hear that 'dry' sense of humor. Salud. Wait, isn't "dry" a tasting note? :lightbulb:

#16 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 617 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

Thank you DP... I think I now understand what you guys mean... I was not too far from it. AND no offense taken... BTW rough sounds like an appropriate descriptor :)

I have yet to drink a vodka that is strong...

Smooth to me means burn-less [most people I introduce to tequila think it is strong when they don't know how to sip/enjoy it]... I will get a burn when the spirit goes the wrong way [read: I screw it up]

I once asked an acquaintance why he liked vodka-martinis... he replied nonchalantly: i only like the ones that taste smooth; they taste like water. I smartassly retorted... Then, why not drink: water!?