• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LaD'Estribo

LaD'Estribo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:37 AM

We had Mexican Fiesta in Milwaukee this past weekend. Their was a Tequila table featuring Don Tadeo Tequila NOM 1419. I spoke to the man behind the table as it turned out he is the owner of the Distillery. He was very friendly and informative. He told a story about how his grandfather was an agave grower and he would sell to such companies as Orendine.

He gave me a sip from the Ola Reposado and it was really smooth and had nice light wood tone. Though this was an exhibition he was willing to part with a bottle :D . He inquired as to what tequila I drink the most of, quickly answered Don Felipe. He then shared a story about their tequila that at this moment it seems very fogy in my memory ;) . But I do recall him ending it with "La Tequila que estan sacando a hora no es la misma que antes, yo te lo dijo." Meaning the tequila they are making now is not the same as it has been, and he was oddment about this.

Here are the pictures of the bottles that where shown. Notice the scenery inside the pyramid on the Tierra De Indio bottle. Also he mentioned the bottle stated "made as it was 200 years ago" that he says was granted to him by the Mexican Government. I had a chance to try the blanco on the second day and it was a rather non mentionable tequila. :blush:

Attached Files

#2 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:05 PM

Nice bottle design for the entire Don Tadeo line.

So, what was your opinion on the blue-glass pyramid's contents?

#3 DON CESAR

DON CESAR

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 295 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:28 PM

We had Mexican Fiesta in Milwaukee this past weekend. Their was a Tequila table featuring Don Tadeo Tequila NOM 1419. I spoke to the man behind the table as it turned out he is the owner of the Distillery. He was very friendly and informative. He told a story about how his grandfather was an agave grower and he would sell to such companies as Orendine.

He gave me a sip from the Ola Reposado and it was really smooth and had nice light wood tone. Though this was an exhibition he was willing to part with a bottle :D . He inquired as to what tequila I drink the most of, quickly answered Don Felipe. He then shared a story about their tequila that at this moment it seems very fogy in my memory ;) . But I do recall him ending it with "La Tequila que estan sacando a hora no es la misma que antes, yo te lo dijo." Meaning the tequila they are making now is not the same as it has been, and he was oddment about this.

Here are the pictures of the bottles that where shown. Notice the scenery inside the pyramid on the Tierra De Indio bottle. Also he mentioned the bottle stated "made as it was 200 years ago" that he says was granted to him by the Mexican Government. I had a chance to try the blanco on the second day and it was a rather non mentionable tequila. :blush:

Did this person mention when this Tequilas will be available in the US????

#4 LaD'Estribo

LaD'Estribo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 292 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:57 AM

I got the Repo on the first picture. On the backside it has a Jaguar face (not in photo) that was very nice. The pyramid seemed very tiny in size. As for the content of the bottle I haven't poped it open yet. I had Omar sign the bottle so it may be a while. As for the release in the US, he said it didn't seem possible at the moment but that it would be available in Puerto Vallarta and other tourist areas. Maybe Reifer has come across it in Mexico.

#5 Bizarro Ocho

Bizarro Ocho

Newcomer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

Did anyone ever get any more info on this destillery? I got a bottle of Tierra de Indios Anejo last year and have found zero info on it anywhere. I am trying to figure how to upload the pictures but I fear they are in too high a resolution and I don't know how to fix that. Thanks

#6 Lin

Lin

Newcomer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:03 PM

Did anyone ever get any more info on this destillery? I got a bottle of Tierra de Indios Anejo last year and have found zero info on it anywhere. I am trying to figure how to upload the pictures but I fear they are in too high a resolution and I don't know how to fix that. Thanks

The distillery is located south east of Puerto Vallarta in the Sierra Madres.

#7 fdm1

fdm1

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:42 PM

The distillery is located south east of Puerto Vallarta in the Sierra Madres.

Looks like destileria Metlalli, nom 1419 , is actually located in Amatitan Jal. Nom list has says the distillery is titled to Destiladora Mexicana , nom 1454. Same nom for Tequila Partida.

#8 1timeposter

1timeposter

Newcomer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:25 PM

I found this forum after looking to see of Don Tadeo had a website, and figured I'd add a few details.

I visited Puerto Vallarta and went on a tour at the Don Tadeo distillery. The Tequilla there is all made in organic styles, but due to that, the Mexican Government has placed restrictions on sales. It is not intended for local consumption, so most of the sales go to tourists (the price could have something to do with it too). It was anywhere from about $60-$120 USD per bottle.

Paulie (the primary owner) absolutely loves what he does. He spent a large amount of time going to school and studying in the US, so has a very American accent when speaking english. He is dedicated to making high quality tequila, and seems to enjoy tastings with a a group, and he's more than willing to share. They make a variety of flavors, from chocolate to lime tequilla, and all of them are quite good and smooth. The traditional tequillas are also quite nice.

I plan to get more next trip. Unfortunately due to customs the number is limited, but this is some of the best tequilla I've had in quite a while, and made by people that really enjoy their product. If you get the chance while in Puorto Vallarta, or have a friend traveling there, it's definitely worth it.

From what I could tell, they were still awaiting export licenses, so there was no timeline for when it would be available outside of Jalisco.

Hope this helps, and sorry to resurrect a dinosaur of a thread.

#9 fdm1

fdm1

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

a bit confused?????? The nom for Don Tadeo is 1419. Correct? The distillery/ nom list has this as distillery Metlalli , S.A de C.V Amatitan , Jalisco . Is it possible to have the same nom and a different distillery? Or has Don Tadeo moved distilleries?

#10 reifer

reifer

• 1,141 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:59 AM

If you get the chance while in Puorto Vallarta, or have a friend traveling there, it's definitely worth it.
Hope this helps, and sorry to resurrect a dinosaur of a thread.

Where is this "distillery" located?
Was it some kind of organized tour that took you there or did you drive/taxi?

#11 1timeposter

1timeposter

Newcomer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:25 PM

Where is this "distillery" located?
Was it some kind of organized tour that took you there or did you drive/taxi?

Yes, this was an organized tour. I almost skipped it because I hate those tours. It took us half the day of them carting us around various places before we got to the Tequileria, but it was well worth it in the end. The place is located south of PV on the main road out along the coast. It's mostly their distribution location, and also has a decent restaurant, half and half.

I looked at the terrain, and tried to figure out where it was based on memory, and it should be somewhere along the coast in the following map:

Rough Location

It's a restaurant / tequileria, and I remember a large sign mentioning tequila in that stretch. It doesn't look fancy, but the tequilla is quite unique (and smooth). If you zoom out from the map you'll see the general location of PV to the north. It'd be fairly hard to miss this place once you get past the rock/island at this point on the road (it's out in the water but easily visible while driving by):

Large Rock Waypoint

I apologize for the lack of exact details, but Google Maps isn't all there yet for Mexico, and since I wasn't driving didn't have detailed directions.

Good luck to anyone visiting! I believe they are 500mL bottles, so you should be able to get 4 back through US customs (2L total).

Edited by 1timeposter, 22 October 2009 - 01:31 PM.

#12 reifer

reifer

• 1,141 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:58 AM

Yes, this was an organized tour. I almost skipped it because I hate those tours. It took us half the day of them carting us around various places before we got to the Tequileria, but it was well worth it in the end. The place is located south of PV on the main road out along the coast. It's mostly their distribution location, and also has a decent restaurant, half and half.

Interesting. I'll look for it. Have not seen it but, don't go south that often or might have just missed it. To confirm, it is definitely on the coast? You can still see the bay? I know of one past Boca de Tomatlan that is on the river on the way to El Tuito but have not seen or heard of one on the coast? Assume it is between Mismaloya and Boca?

#13 1timeposter

1timeposter

Newcomer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:51 PM

Interesting. I'll look for it. Have not seen it but, don't go south that often or might have just missed it. To confirm, it is definitely on the coast? You can still see the bay? I know of one past Boca de Tomatlan that is on the river on the way to El Tuito but have not seen or heard of one on the coast? Assume it is between Mismaloya and Boca?

It sits on the coast for sure. The restaurant portion overlooks the water right next to the coast and you can see the bay area to the north east. As driving south out of PV, it is off to the right a ways after a small tourist trap. I'd say it took about 45m-1hr to get back to Nuevo Vallarta from the tequileria (by bus, mostly non-stop).

I just wish I had more specifics to offer. I plan on heading back in the spring to visit (and bring some back), so if no one has found the exact location by then I'll be sure to share GPS coordinates and directions.

#14 reifer

reifer

• 1,141 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

it is off to the right a ways after a small tourist trap.

I went there today.
No offense intended at all but, the place itself seems like the tourist trap to me?
There was a bus there when I arrived and two more arrived while we were there.
There was a guy giving the official line and the tasting of all of the flavored versions. I got someone else and mostly had trouble getting him off topic long enough to answer the questions I really wanted to ask. It eventually became clear that they simply have the actual distillery (Metlalli in Amatitan) pack a private label for them, "exclusively" or so he said. I'm not sure that they have anything to do with the distillery itself but, guess they could have some arrangement similar to the Cofradia stores in town.
I tasted the anejo and my son had the blanco as well.
We both thought that the anejo was pretty good but, seemed a little "enhanced". The guy said it was 7 years in Fr. oak barrels which I seriously doubt? Not enough color, not excessively wood flavored but, there is an official line you know.
My son said that the blanco was harsh and over the top in alcohol burn. The sales pitch was that it made your margaritas powerful?
I don't remember the brand. They had the Don Tadeo brand on all of the flavors but it was something different on the straight tequila.
Lot's of cutsey bottle shapes but, he said that the tequila in them is all the same.
Embarrassed to say that I have no idea on the price? We fled when the 3rd bus arrived. I did see that the reposado was $900 pesos which is pretty spendy IMO. But, they were offering a one day only 20% off which probably will be in effect tomorrow as well, etc.
So you buy what you like but, for me there are a lot of options that are better and probably cheaper. But that's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth