• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 gabe

gabe

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:19 PM

Anyone else notice these new additions to the family? I was at BevMo picking up the JCRF Platino, and there they were. The Hornitos repo bottle is unchanged, but the two new ones have a new, more angular bottle.

Also saw Totem blanco, repo, and anejo for $26 each. Go get 'em! :D

#2 Iron Chef

Iron Chef

• Agave friends
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:30 PM

Hey Gabe, I will pass on the Totem, but do post if you find them to be OK :t_up:
Regards, Tim

Ohh I guess the USPS lost the chile powder and dehydrated pods I sent... :headbutt: ohh well it happens

#3 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:40 PM

Ohh I guess the USPS lost the chile powder and dehydrated pods I sent... :headbutt: ohh well it happens

No, no! I got 'em! :t_up: My apologies for not letting you know sooner. I haven't tried the chile powder yet, but I am having a few friends over on Sunday to BBQ and I'm sure I'll break out the tamarind margaritas, so I will give it a try.

#4 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:41 PM

Um, please note the sarcasm. I am not recommending this brand! :)

#5 Iron Chef

Iron Chef

• Agave friends
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:57 PM

LOL I suspected that might be the case! Ohh and cool beans on the USPS... hope your tasting goes well... make sure you taste during the mixing process (of the salt/chile mixture for the rims)... the Manzano has less heat, but it has great flavor and the heat is different... the mixed chinese is habanero types and wicked hot (should go a long way mixed with salt :t_up:) ...
Regards, Tim

#6 *45*

*45*

• 1,831 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:01 AM

The repo is in the new bottle style too. I actually find the look to be retro-cool! If I didn't know what waits inside, I'd have a set.

How are you doing the tamarind margs? I got some tamarind pulp last weekend, but they did not come out wery well. :(

#7 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:18 AM

The repo is in the new bottle style too. I actually find the look to be retro-cool! If I didn't know what waits inside, I'd have a set.

Yeah, I thought the bottle looked a little more slick.

How are you doing the tamarind margs? I got some tamarind pulp last weekend, but they did not come out wery well. :(

Sounds like my first attempt after going to Mexico in 2006. This year I came back from the tour and figured out an excellent, easy recipe using tamarind paste. I just posted all the info under the Food/Drink section of the forum. Try it out; it'll be just like you're at La Quemada again!

#8 Tequila Joe

Tequila Joe

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:40 AM

In my opinion the anejo is better than anything Sauza has currently on the market. However, the original test version of the Hornitos Anejo was better but then they made some changes that made it not as good. Unfortunately, they seem to have added some coffee flavoring to the product on the shelves that replaced what use to be all caramel. The silver/blanco still has the Sauza taste and aroma to it but the anejo is worth trying but not as good as it should of been (given the preliminary tests).

#9 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:44 AM

Anyone else notice these new additions to the family? I was at BevMo picking up the JCRF Platino, and there they were. The Hornitos repo bottle is unchanged, but the two new ones have a new, more angular bottle.

Wondering how it stacks up against the Triada...I didn't like the Hornitos too much last time I tried some. Did they just change the packaging or the whole process?

#10 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:50 AM

Yeah, sarcasm is tough to convey in print...no inflection and so forth. I didn't think you were into the Totem. I'll usually pass on principle alone if they're asking under 30 bux for an anejo.

#11 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:50 PM

That makes me a little leerie if they can switch the taste like summer to winter tires just like that.

In my opinion the anejo is better than anything Sauza has currently on the market. However, the original test version of the Hornitos Anejo was better but then they made some changes that made it not as good. Unfortunately, they seem to have added some coffee flavoring to the product on the shelves that replaced what use to be all caramel. The silver/blanco still has the Sauza taste and aroma to it but the anejo is worth trying but not as good as it should of been (given the preliminary tests).

#12 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:07 PM

In my opinion the anejo is better than anything Sauza has currently on the market. However, the original test version of the Hornitos Anejo was better but then they made some changes that made it not as good.

How did you manage to get an advanced screening?

Unfortunately, they seem to have added some coffee flavoring to the product on the shelves that replaced what use to be all caramel. The silver/blanco still has the Sauza taste and aroma to it but the anejo is worth trying but not as good as it should of been (given the preliminary tests).

Jiboo and I were just discussing these the other day.

Are we sure the añejo isn't just Hacienda all dressed up? :huh:

#13 Tequila Joe

Tequila Joe

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:32 PM

In my opinion the anejo is better than anything Sauza has currently on the market. However, the original test version of the Hornitos Anejo was better but then they made some changes that made it not as good.

How did you manage to get an advanced screening?

Unfortunately, they seem to have added some coffee flavoring to the product on the shelves that replaced what use to be all caramel. The silver/blanco still has the Sauza taste and aroma to it but the anejo is worth trying but not as good as it should of been (given the preliminary tests).

Jiboo and I were just discussing these the other day.

Are we sure the añejo isn't just Hacienda all dressed up? :huh:

I was able to taste it about a month and a half ago through one of our sponsors and members on this forum. It was soooooo much better than what is on the shelves today. I was so impressed only to be shocked when we tried the new bottle 2 weeks ago. As for being the hacienda all dressed up, thats a good point. Definitely, the preliminary was not but as for the stuff on the shelves I have no idea. It would not supprise me if it was the same stuff aged more with some additives. Who Knows?

Have you tried them yet?

#14 Tequila Joe

Tequila Joe

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:34 PM

Wondering how it stacks up against the Triada...I didn't like the Hornitos too much last time I tried some. Did they just change the packaging or the whole process?

I would take the Triada any day over anything else Sauza has.

#15 Tequila Joe

Tequila Joe

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:39 PM

That makes me a little leerie if they can switch the taste like summer to winter tires just like that.

My assumption from the two taste differences is that they must of just added some coffee or other flavoring to the original product which diluted the original caramel taste. As to why they changed a great product, who knows?

Lately, with all the changes to bottles from prelim pics and changes to the tequilas before release I would almost prefer to not see or try them before they come out. The key is "almost." It just gets dissapionting.

#16 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:00 PM

That's what I thought...thanks for the confirmation!

#17 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:10 PM

Have you tried them yet?

Nope. New Mexico tends to be a bit slower for new products by established producers.

Might be worth investing in a bottle just for kicks and giggles. :D

#18 Attilio_Bettega

Attilio_Bettega

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 373 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:17 PM

A new Hornitos line that is of better quality?

My questions would be:

1. How much does it cost? (I am always up for a more affordable tequila if it tastes good!)

2. Availability, where can you get it? (IE, can it be ordered on line in the next few months etc)

#19 agaveblue

agaveblue

Tequilero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:00 AM

Isn't Triada a Sauza product? I've never seen this until it was mentioned here. My guess is this a more pricey line?

Sauza Triada is a completely contemporary expression of the centuries of Sauza Tequila tradition and heritage. Triada carries the finest ultra-premimum Anejo and 100% Blue Agave credentials combined with a unique two stage aging process that produces an unparalleled, perfectly balanced, distinctive taste.

---Obviously I'm not expecting much for this particular line. Wouldn't their 3G's line be closer to a higher quality product? Still, anything is possible. I can't imagine the blanco or repo being worth trying, and the anejo only barely passable at best. I could be wrong.

Edited by agaveblue, 31 August 2007 - 12:03 AM.

#20 Tequila Joe

Tequila Joe

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 612 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:34 AM

Have you tried them yet?

Nope. New Mexico tends to be a bit slower for new products by established producers.

Might be worth investing in a bottle just for kicks and giggles. :D

At $20 something a bottle for the anejo it is worth trying.

#21 Tequila Joe

Tequila Joe

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 612 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:36 AM

[/quote]

Isn't Triada a Sauza product? I've never seen this until it was mentioned here. My guess is this a more pricey line?

Sauza Triada is a completely contemporary expression of the centuries of Sauza Tequila tradition and heritage. Triada carries the finest ultra-premimum Anejo and 100% Blue Agave credentials combined with a unique two stage aging process that produces an unparalleled, perfectly balanced, distinctive taste.

---Obviously I'm not expecting much for this particular line. Wouldn't their 3G's line be closer to a higher quality product? Still, anything is possible. I can't imagine the blanco or repo being worth trying, and the anejo only barely passable at best. I could be wrong.

[/quote]

Personally, I like the Hornitos Anejo better than the 3G's but that is just my opinion and I do not really like the 3G's Anejo.

#22 Tequila Joe

Tequila Joe

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 612 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:38 AM

A new Hornitos line that is of better quality?

My questions would be:

1. How much does it cost? (I am always up for a more affordable tequila if it tastes good!)

2. Availability, where can you get it? (IE, can it be ordered on line in the next few months etc)

The cost is $20-30 a bottle and should be available online shortly if it is not already there.

#23 jiboo

jiboo

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 619 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:43 AM

One only needs to see the añejo bottle to determine the excessive additives and coloring.1%?Why bother?

#24 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:28 AM

The Triada isn't made anymore, a shame really as it's the only Sauza product I've ever liked.

It's a sweeter anejo, something that I haven't really appreciated in my anejos until now...it's very smooth, not hot at all and an ideal choice for beginning sippers (training wheel tequila I call it). I've managed to squirrel away 5 or 6 bottles, snapping them up when I come across them, usually about $45/ea (average). Dunno what they're charging for the 3G's or the Industrial Drum size Hornitos...I don't intend on drinking any in the near future...or 'ever' for that matter.

#25 agaveblue

agaveblue

Tequilero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:49 AM

I've only tried Hornitos reposado once. That seemed like enough for me. But don't take my word for it. I feel the same way about Cabo Wabo anejo (even though they changed the bottle and the contents look less dark now to boot as if it's a completely different tequila) and Gran Centranario Plata. They were just too hot for my tastes. The Hornitos wasn't too hot, just too generic. It was better than a stick in the eye but.....given the choice.....

I've only tried one other Sauza product that I know of and that's 3G's reposado. It didn't impress me either, albeit very smooth. Their products have a "generic-ness" to them I just can't abide. That's not to say I wouldn't consider it a gift idea for a novice. But why start them down the wrong road? Hehe. One day I'll break down and try the 3G's anejo. Since I've heard some good things about Hornitos anejo I'll consider it too. There's something about those anejo's where even a poor product at blanco/repo levels seems almost tolerable at the anejo level.

#26 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:50 PM

There's something about those anejo's where even a poor product at blanco/repo levels seems almost tolerable at the anejo level.

From a plata drinker's point of view....

If the silver isn't good, but the reposado and añejo are tolerable or better, you can bet it's being masked and manipulated with 1% or more of the legal additives. :angry2:

All great añejos should start with a great blanco.

#27 Attilio_Bettega

Attilio_Bettega

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 373 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:59 PM

There's something about those anejo's where even a poor product at blanco/repo levels seems almost tolerable at the anejo level.

If the silver isn't good, but the reposado and añejo are tolerable or better, you can bet it's being masked and manipulated with 1% or more of the legal additives. :angry2:

I have noticed that in low quality tequila the anejos are always better such as with 1800, 3g etc.

In better tequilas it's variable, but I tend to like the blancos a lot more, while some even have a very strong lineup but I definitely think that some barrel ageing, a few flavorings and a drop of sugar could improve lower quality tequila.

They do the same with wine too. Since real barrels or barriques are expensive, sometimes they let the wine sit in large steel tanks steeping in wood chips for a few months just to add a little oakiness to it!

#28 chekm8

chekm8

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 269 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

Agree, but don't mistake taste for quality. I'm a huge fan of CN reposado and anejo but don't really care for the crystal. It has nothing to do with the quality....just not to my liking.

I think certain tequilas and processes are sometimes expressed better with some gentle aging.

With that said, if you have crap at the beginning, you won't get a great tequila after 3-24 months.

#29 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:33 PM

I'm not sure I agree with this. Why can't a crappy blanco improve by interacting with quality wood in a natural way? It might not be that common, but I bet there are some aged tequilas that are better than the silver because of legitimate aging.

Also, consider that the process used to make the silver might actually be different from the processed used to make the unaged tequila for the same brand. Agave Tequilana (1921, Oro Azul, etc.) claimed that, for certain brands, they use the tahona for the anejo but not the blanco or reposado. Also, someone told me that Patron is/was making the aged versions at a different NOM than the Silver. I haven't verified that, however.

#30 agaveblue

agaveblue

Tequilero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:56 AM

That's still ok because tequila is just something I enjoy, not a religion. I have no set of rules where it's concerned other than 100% puro de agave and preferring to sip it overall. And I suppose that any bottle that tastes good, for any reason, is just fine in my book.

But you said it yourself. From a plata drinker's point of view, if their plata isn't good, then you're probably not going to drink it. I'm not really a declared specific type person. I like blanco's, repo's, and anejo's if they taste good. If someone made 100% puro de agave gold tequila, I might like that too. But mostly it just seems that's for mixto. That is to say that I personally have never tried a gold 100% yet.

I do like blanco's too and I have to be careful because so far, with one anejo exception, it's the type I'm most likely not to be able to sip possibly due to being too hot and just not diggin' the taste. I've had two blanco's I wouldn't buy again for sipping. So, I've got to be even more cautious about those. And oddly enough most tequila companies market their repo's and anejo's as the sippers. If that was 100% true, I could declare that I'm a "repo man" or "anejo man". I hope to add more blanco's to the fold of what I consider acceptable choices. I've only got a handful at the moment and it would be nice if that number were higher.