• Please log in to reply
2929 replies to this topic

#61 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:13 AM

I stopped by a couple of stores today and scored a few nice bottles. etrwl for $36, chinaco blanco for $32, arette repo for $25 and one of my favorites tonala 4 yr for $42. All in all not a bad day. I'm eagerly awaiting the local costco to get some of the JCRF .

#62 ballard

ballard

Knight of the Blue Agave

• Agave friends
  • 863 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:27 AM

I stopped by a couple of stores today and scored a few nice bottles. etrwl for $36, chinaco blanco for $32, arette repo for $25 and one of my favorites tonala 4 yr for $42. All in all not a bad day. I'm eagerly awaiting the local costco to get some of the JCRF .

Wow, Tonala 4 year for $42, very nice!

#63 gblick

gblick

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:14 PM

Picked up a couple JCAs yesterday. I had actually seen them back before my recent three week stint of no liquor stores, but wasn't sure what they were at the time. Came back home and read up on them, plus then they've been mentioned a few times since. I was very glad to find that they were still there when I went back!

Going to put the JCRF 2004 and the JCA head to head this Saturday, should be fun!

bda

How much were those JCA's (if you don't mind me asking), and do they have the imbedded cork with full size cork hanging from a string or are the full size corks already in the bottle? I look forward to hearing what you think of it and how it compares to the JCRF. I sure wish I could find some more of those.

#64 ballard

ballard

Knight of the Blue Agave

• Agave friends
  • 863 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:48 PM

Picked up a couple JCAs yesterday. I had actually seen them back before my recent three week stint of no liquor stores, but wasn't sure what they were at the time. Came back home and read up on them, plus then they've been mentioned a few times since. I was very glad to find that they were still there when I went back!

Going to put the JCRF 2004 and the JCA head to head this Saturday, should be fun!

bda

How much were those JCA's (if you don't mind me asking), and do they have the imbedded cork with full size cork hanging from a string or are the full size corks already in the bottle? I look forward to hearing what you think of it and how it compares to the JCRF. I sure wish I could find some more of those.

The JCAs were $50. One has the cork hanging, the other does not. However, in examining the two bottles, I cannot find any other differences, I think the cork just got lost on one of them.

I did find two more yesterday at a different liquore store. I did not buy them yet, since I want to wait until after Saturday's tasting to decide if I want another bottle of it or not (yes Tonga, one of those will definitely go to you, since you already expressed interest). One of those was the wax topped bottle (didn't check if it had the hanging cork or not), the other was the later version with a normal cork top.

BDA

#65 gabe

gabe

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:15 PM

I did find two more yesterday at a different liquore store. I did not buy them yet, since I want to wait until after Saturday's tasting to decide if I want another bottle of it or not

I'm curious to try JCA myself before I pony up for a bottle.

#66 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:15 PM

ballard if I was a betting man I'd say the JCA will be a great suprise for everyone and you will definately be picking up the other 2 bottles if they're still available. ;) I'll gladly take one of the bottles off your hands lol. :)

#67 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:44 PM

bda

The JCAs were $50. One has the cork hanging, the other does not. However, in examining the two bottles, I cannot find any other differences, I think the cork just got lost on one of them.

I did find two more yesterday at a different liquore store. I did not buy them yet, since I want to wait until after Saturday's tasting to decide if I want another bottle of it or not (yes Tonga, one of those will definitely go to you, since you already expressed interest). One of those was the wax topped bottle (didn't check if it had the hanging cork or not), the other was the later version with a normal cork top.

BDA

Bal - With all this talk about JCA, I decided to open two bottles and try a little side by side. One was the old original with the red wax and hanger, the other a Duty Free acquisition with the screw top/inner seal. Surprisingly, they were pretty equal with the original being a very slight bit smoother, but not enough to say one is better than the other. The strangest thing though, as I am sitting here sipping back and forth, trying to discern the least little difference, the tip of my tongue and upper gum/lip have started to get the slightest bit numb, kind of like some bad habits in the days of yore. I must be loosing it here. Maybe it's time to stop tasting tequila at lunch. I will be curious about your JCA/JCRF '04 comparison.

#68 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:52 PM

(yes Tonga, one of those will definitely go to you, since you already expressed interest). BDA

...sweeeeet.

#69 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:48 PM

There's alot to like in the JCA if your mood supports it.

#70 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:14 PM

I saw a Clase Azul Ultra last night, in its box. A really beautiful package...for the scant price of $2K it can be yours. It's a little out of my range (about $1950 out)...but it's there for any of you folks who can throw that kind of money around.

They also have the Conde Azul and the Esperanto anejo (which I scored last night whilst looking at the Clase Ultra). I haven't tried it, but I've yet to be disappointed by anything from 1109.

The place is in downtown San Francisco on Sutter St., near Union Square...John Walker fine liquor, they have lot's of high end booze, not just tequila. Among others, I've seen Penca Azul anejo (2005), Los Abuelos anejo and Arette. I cleaned them out of anejo, but they have the repos and silvers. You can also get Chinaco, Heradurra...etc.

You will NOT find any Cuervo mixto there, but you may find a Leyenda or a Reserva de Tequilero. Interesting place for the true 'treasure hunter'...

Cheers all

(www.johnwalker.com)
415/986-2707

#71 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the treasure map, Tonga!

#72 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:02 PM

I thought I was in "Tequila-Procurement Heaven" living in SoCal, but I am beginning to think that you NoCals have it better. We probably have more liquor stores down here, but for the most part, they all carry the same crap (hope I didn't offend anyone). I have really cut back on my hunting because I can rarely find anything special. I know, "poor me". :( :cry:

#73 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:31 PM

I thought I was in "Tequila-Procurement Heaven" living in SoCal, but I am beginning to think that you NoCals have it better. We probably have more liquor stores down here, but for the most part, they all carry the same crap (hope I didn't offend anyone). I have really cut back on my hunting because I can rarely find anything special. I know, "poor me". :( :cry:

Grass is always greener, eh? :D

I was thinking the very same thing about the SoCals. So much so in fact that I was thinking out loud about going on an extended hunt down 99 to Bakersfield, then maybe straying into AZ, and see if there is anything gleanable down that way.

#74 CaliTequilaSipperGirl

CaliTequilaSipperGirl

• 1,172 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:24 PM

Ummm... HiTimes, Mission Liquor, others????? SD :) - TJ ?

SoCal is better than NorCal

#75 lirubis

lirubis

• Agave friends
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:39 PM

Wanna see what's available at Vinos America just 2 blocks away from home? wanna check the PRICES? :P Best tequila selection in GDL for sure.. :D

#76 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:15 PM

Check your glove CTSG, you missed that point altogether. Treasure hunting (see thread topic) is all about the thrill of the chase...you're never going to find a DOB ordering from from the 'Net, and you're going to pay exactly what the price in the order box says.

The DOB's are few and far between, agreed...but they are out there, and it's soooo sweeeet when you roll up on one, and that's what it's all about...for me anyway.

I'm going to stay away from whose 'better', NoCal or SoCal...too many variables for a blanket statement, plus I haven't done a whole helluva lot of tequila shopping in SoCal. As I suspect, there are some gems out there, somewhere (either North or South) just waiting for me to find them.

#77 dolfin

dolfin

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 325 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:05 PM

Interesting place for the true 'treasure hunter'...

Cheers all

(www.johnwalker.com)
415/986-2707

Tonga, you oakheads are ok! Maybe I will take you up on your offer for a "foglandia" visa sometime. :t_up: flipper

#78 CaliTequilaSipperGirl

CaliTequilaSipperGirl

• 1,172 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:31 PM

My gloves are just fine ... and I got the point :)

Those aren't just ONLINE retailers, they are 'brick and mortar' stores as well. I can personally attest to the fact that they do not list their entire inventory online and there are quite a few gems to be had by wandering through these stores :) I've been to Walkers, it's similar to these stores.

Check your glove CTSG, you missed that point altogether. Treasure hunting (see thread topic) is all about the thrill of the chase...you're never going to find a DOB ordering from from the 'Net, and you're going to pay exactly what the price in the order box says.

The DOB's are few and far between, agreed...but they are out there, and it's soooo sweeeet when you roll up on one, and that's what it's all about...for me anyway.

I'm going to stay away from whose 'better', NoCal or SoCal...too many variables for a blanket statement, plus I haven't done a whole helluva lot of tequila shopping in SoCal. As I suspect, there are some gems out there, somewhere (either North or South) just waiting for me to find them.

#79 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:03 PM

My gloves are just fine ... and I got the point :)

Those aren't just ONLINE retailers, they are 'brick and mortar' stores as well. I can personally attest to the fact that they do not list their entire inventory online and there are quite a few gems to be had by wandering through these stores :) I've been to Walkers, it's similar to these stores.

Excellent!

More potential targets to glean on my (as of yet unscheduled) hunting trip down that way. My company is making noises about sending me to San Diego to conduct hydraulics training...maybe I can work that in.

Thx for the heads up...

#80 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

Treasure hunting (see thread topic) is all about the thrill of the chase...

Yep, I think you nailed it T. Thanks.
Also, that little trip down 99 might be really interesting. A lot of little areas with stores whose clientele are very partial to tequilas but might not regularly have the $ to pick up the "better grade". That would be a true road trip. Happy Hunting.

#81 ballard

ballard

Knight of the Blue Agave

• Agave friends
  • 863 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:45 PM

Yeah, me too Tonga!

Got lucky this morning. I'm off work today to get ready for tomorrow's party. First thing on the agenda was a drive up to SF to get a fresh turkey. Wanted to stop by Liquid Experience on Haight (another good SF liquor store with a killer tequila selection, although pretty outrageous prices on a lot of it), but they weren't open yet. Continued down Haight on my way to the freeway and saw one open corner liquore store in lower Haight. I debated whether it was even worth stopping, seemed to be one of those places that would not have any tequila selection at all, but I figured I had to stop in at least one liquore store while I was in SF!

Sure enough, when I walked in, it was extremely meager, saw one Cielo blanco and a bunch of mixto crap. The bottles were all mixed up though, so I took my time checking it out. Then I saw a bit of red wax on the top shelf behind three rows of other bottles. Sure enough, its more JCA. Tried to get the clerk to get me a price, but he was too short and completely clueless, so had to go around behind the counter to grab it myself. There were two JCAs there, both covered with a solid 2mm of dust! One has the hanging cork, the other does not, but they're both the older style with the wax top. Listed price was $39.99. The clerk said he actually remembered ordering them years ago for a customer, but then the customer never came back to get them. He was nice enough to knock the tax off, so I paid $80 even for both bottles.

Tonga, the one with the cork hanger is all yours. You can pick it up tomorrow.

Sure hope I like this stuff! :blink: I'm pretty sure I will from everything I've read from you all on it.

bda

#82 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:52 PM

Wanted to stop by Liquid Experience on Haight (another good SF liquor store with a killer tequila selection, although pretty outrageous prices on a lot of it), but they weren't open yet.

Then I saw a bit of red wax on the top shelf behind three rows of other bottles. Sure enough, its more JCA.
bda

Ya, LE is way over the top on their pricing, but oddly enough...the mid - low end stuff is reasonably priced compared to the 'Net, once you figure in freight.

Good score on the JCA's...T was out and about today and got a Trago anejo, I think he's gonna try and bring that with us tomorrow.

#83 dolfin

dolfin

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 325 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:23 PM

and got a Trago anejo, I think he's gonna try and bring that with us tomorrow.

Be sure to taste the Trago next to a well known stock. I purchased a Silver and a Repo on the basis of a tasting I attended. I had tasted quite a few silvers of other marques before I got to the Trago table and at the time I thought I had a revelation. I tasted the whole family and they seemed to stand out from all the other offerings at the event. Then later I went out and added these two to the fold and began sampling. After careful consideration I find flavors in both that seem to be way out of place. I believe Checkm8 is correct in his assesment of the line as tasting artificial. Lemmme know what you folks come up with. Cheers! :D regards, filpper

#84 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:59 PM

There were two JCAs there, both covered with a solid 2mm of dust! One has the hanging cork, the other does not, but they're both the older style with the wax top. Listed price was $39.99. The clerk said he actually remembered ordering them years ago for a customer, but then the customer never came back to get them. He was nice enough to knock the tax off, so I paid $80 even for both bottles.

Tonga, the one with the cork hanger is all yours. You can pick it up tomorrow.

Sure hope I like this stuff! :blink: I'm pretty sure I will from everything I've read from you all on it.

bda

What a score!!! What is the consensus on the JCA?

#85 heatmiser

heatmiser

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

I cracked open an older JCA with wax top and cork hanging to the side on Friday night. I compared it to a JCRF '04 & '06 that I already had open. I liked the JCA better than the '06 JCRF but not as much as the '04 JCRF. They are all very close in my opinion.

#86 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:50 PM

I cracked open an older JCA with wax top and cork hanging to the side on Friday night. I compared it to a JCRF '04 & '06 that I already had open. I liked the JCA better than the '06 JCRF but not as much as the '04 JCRF. They are all very close in my opinion.

We had it up against the 04 JCRF and the JCA got edged out by it's big brother, although both were quite good, we also found them to be close. The finish is quite different on the JCA, but as many have said here...it makes a difference if you let it sit there for a while after pouring.

#87 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:57 PM

Went dusty bottle hunting this afternoon in SF after a morning meeting. I found 2 bottles of ETAWL (which was very cool), but the BIG treasure promises to be the ONE LITER bottle of ORO AZUL blanco from years (decades?) ago.

Wish I could take a pic of the bottle, but I don't have the immed. time today. It's DEF. made at 1079. (has a hand-written "Lot 45" in gold ink on the side of the label)

This could be a GREAT find. I'll post after tasting it.

#88 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:08 PM

Definatly post some pics, cool find. :t_up:

Went dusty bottle hunting this afternoon in SF after a morning meeting. I found 2 bottles of ETAWL (which was very cool), but the BIG treasure promises to be the ONE LITER bottle of ORO AZUL blanco from years (decades?) ago.

Wish I could take a pic of the bottle, but I don't have the immed. time today. It's DEF. made at 1079. (has a hand-written "Lot 45" in gold ink on the side of the label)

#89 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

Definatly post some pics, cool find. :t_up:

Nice find(s) Lippy...enjoy! :t_up:

#90 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:39 PM

Lippy... buddy! :D

Tell us how it turns out. I'm hoping to do a 1079 tasting later this year. If that happens, it would be cool to compare three "generations" of Oro Azul blanco (new, Millenium, and old). Assuming there's any left!